Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think given how angry Cory was, you give him the game and see if he can redeem himself.

Remember Marty's best games were usually after losses/stinkers.

Give Kinkaid the Canucks Tuesday.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Goalie for tomorrow undecided per Hynes.

No they really shocking. Schneider has not been playing well and had a 6th straight start of giving up 3+ goals. Kinkaid looked really good against Pittsburgh even though they lost. So yea, not entirely shocking.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd be pretty surprised if Boucher wasn't picked up.

I wouldn't be. I think a lot of teams have similar players who might do one thing well, but lack in other areas. He's probably a bit overrated by us just because of the lack of young forwards we had for so long.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I don't expect Boucher to be picked up. If he does get picked he'll be waived again in a month.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
boo to the 2pm start tomorrow…..waste of an afternoon inside when **** needs to be done outside before the real cold hits

It's a 1 pm start here in Nashville :D This is going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing this arena.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Wonder what the lines are going to be tomorrow.

Right now, I'm actually fine with Henrique on a line with Hall. Henrique and Hall have been possessing the puck quite well when they play together. Bennett/PAP have also played well with Henrique this season. Fine with either of those three.

Zajac and Cam are the two guys that need to be playing together. Cam has excelled with him and has really struggled without him possession wise. Those are two guys really playing well off each other well.

When healthy I'd like to see something like:

Hall-Henrique-Bennett/PAP
Cam-Zajac-Bennett/PAP/Palms

The problem right now really is the center depth. Zacha really needs to pick up his game. Maybe one of JQ/Wood can help him out. I think he's looked strong with Beau this year too.

And for the defenseman, it's clear that Moore and Lovejoy don't play well together. I'd put Auvitu with Lovejoy and Moore with Quincey at this point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Right now, I'm actually fine with Henrique on a line with Hall. Henrique and Hall have been possessing the puck quite well when they play together. Bennett/PAP have also played well with Henrique this season. Fine with either of those three.

Zajac and Cam are the two guys that need to be playing together. Cam has excelled with him and has really struggled without him possession wise. Those are two guys really playing well off each other well.

The problem right now really is the center depth. Zacha really needs to pick up his game. Maybe one of JQ/Wood can help him out. I think he's looked strong with Beau this year too.

And for the defenseman, it's clear that Moore and Lovejoy don't play well together. I'd put Auvitu with Lovejoy and Moore with Quincey at this point.

I'm guessing the same lines.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
When healthy...

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zajac-PAP
Wood-Henrique-Bennett/Lappin
Kalinin-Fiddler-Lappin/DSP

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The counterpoint to this argument is that because he's so fast he could develop bad habits playing against inferior competition. Given how well he's started out during this second callup, I'd like to give him a shot to learn here - if his play starts being bad, then he can be sent down.

He had a very impressive drop pass last night where he had an angle to the net possibly but he realized that he had a forward back there and it set up a very good scoring chance.

A bit late to this, but the brief spurts of offensive touch like that one you mentioned is why I would rather him develop in the AHL. Let him test out those plays and see what works and what doesn't. Let him learn how to play the PK, which is where I'm hoping he can become a monster for us.

I'm just not sure the staff is going to use him in a role that isn't going to simply be abusing his speed right now which isn't good for his long term development. I'm not saying send him down right now, but if they are going to use him as they have the best two games, I'd rather him be in the minors.

In all honesty, he may stick around. The Boucher waiver has opened up a spot for him when everyone is healthy.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Nah, the person who really needs to pick their game up is Henrique. I also do not want him anywhere near Hall. He is entirely way to slow and is not skilled enough to play with Hall IMO.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
When healthy...

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zajac-PAP
Wood-Henrique-Bennett/Lappin
Kalinin-Fiddler-Lappin/DSP

Zacha is not centering the top line, nor should he given his performance this season. The kid's got skills, no doubt. But there are too many times where he seems like a passenger out there to be rewarding him with top line minutes.

Not that Henrique has earned top line minutes either with his play this year, but I do think he's more reliable defensively than Zacha is, and like it or not, that factors into it.

The tough part is Zajac is playing well with Cammalleri right now, so putting him back with Hall (who he's also played pretty well with) kind of messes with that.

I know it won't happen because they're all rookies, but I would love to see them try Wood/Zacha/Lappin as a line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha is not centering the top line, nor should he given his performance this season. The kid's got skills, no doubt. But there are too many times where he seems like a passenger out there to be rewarding him with top line minutes.

Not that Henrique has earned top line minutes either with his play this year, but I do think he's more reliable defensively than Zacha is, and like it or not, that factors into it.

The tough part is Zajac is playing well with Cammalleri right now, so putting him back with Hall (who he's also played pretty well with) kind of messes with that.

I know it won't happen because they're all rookies, but I would love to see them try Wood/Zacha/Lappin as a line.

Ya the Camm/Zajac chemistry is what mucks things up. He is playing the best and deserves the 1C duties, but we shouldn't break up a working combo.

Man that must annoy the Zajac haters. 1C Travis Stone Hands Zajac.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Not only did we get a "Let's go Devils" chant going on the flight from Newark to Nashville, but I've met another 10 people in town for the game. One was a guy from Missouri who just loves the Devils! I love traveling to away games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad