Devils 2015-16 team discussion (players news & notes) Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So much poo pooing on a young depth guy :laugh:

We always need a whipping boy when the old ones get shipped out
If he is a depth guy, it's pretty insignificant and nothing to worry about.

But I'm worried that Helgeson might be the #6 guy. The fact that he's on a one way contract for this year (this by no means makes him a lock) and the fact that he's a left side guy (if I'm not mistaken) make me afraid that he has the edge.

If he's just a depth guy, I don't think there's reason to worry. But with the way he's looked, I think it's justified if he's an every night player.

He's by no means as bad as the last 30 or so games Salvador played or God forbid Fraser, but he's much worse than any of the 6 guys we had last year as regulars. I can comfortably say that he'd be our worst defensemen in the top 6 in the last 5 or 6 years, not including the last combined two seasons that Salvador was in the league. And not including the half season of Fraser that we recently had. I don't even think he's better than Peter Harrold.

I rarely complained about the 6 regulars we had last year. Merrill and Moore would do things to annoy me, but I maintain that they're still number 6 NHL defensemen at the absolute worse. Gelinas also infuriated me at times, but he wasn't really one of the top 6 guys. He was mostly an extra, except for the week that he was playing over Severson.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He only played when both Schlemko and Severson were out hurt. Hell they played Warofsky more then Seth

I'm still worried that he has the edge this year to make the team. I remember when Schelemko came back from injury and replaced him and it was like getting Drew Doughty on the team. That's how big of an upgrade Schlemko was to him.

I'm hoping we find another Schlemko in the next two weeks or a PTO. Fingers crossed that Santini makes the team, as much as I think he could use a year in the A or to at least start the year there.

I was one of the few people that rarely **** on our defense last year, while it was healthy. Larsson, Greene, Schlemko, Severson, Moore and Merrill was a decent top 6 for us. They weren't good at offense, but did a commendable job defensively. Some of them more than others. I feel like around March, the D started to get bad when we had injuries. Then it looked back to normal for the final 3 or 4 games of the season. Of course, some of this was probably not helped by Stempniak's departure and being replaced with forwards that were inferior defensively. And the goals against went up more than they would have with Cory, once Kinkaid got in there and started stinking up the joint.

But I remember too many 30+ shot games during the month of March. We weren't seeing nearly as many before that. And then in the last 3 games of the season, they went down considerably. And I realize two of our opponents during that stretch were the Toronto Tanks and Buffalo, but it was still a huge improvement.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
http://www.adn.com/sports/2016/08/31/rink-retirement-standard-bearer-scott-gomez-calls-it-a-career/

Scott Gomez officially retires.

I'd LOVE for Gomer to come to work for us as an analyst, he has been on NHLN as an analyst quite a bit, as well as CSN in studio with the Sharks during the playoffs.

Gomer is better than about 75% of the hockey personalities on TV, that includes PBP, color, locker room reporter, in studio, pre/post game analysis, etc.

I don't think he'd be a great PBP or color commentator, but he'd be awesome on pre and post games and interviewing players. He'd also provide some comic relief, even though Dano and Johnny Mac provide (unintentionally in Dano's case) a lot of that.:laugh:

One would think Gomer could be bring some much needed personality to the hockey world. Don't see a fit here in NJ unfortunately. Maybe on the MSG desk for hockey night or whatever they call that show?

I actually think we do OK here in NJ as far as having good on air personalities. I for one think dano is great. The national broadcasts are where the real issue is imo. Maybe he can get a gig with NBCSN or with the NHL network.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I dont see Helg getting much PT this season. I think Sev's, Lovely, and Santini are a lock on the right.

Moore is going to play, and I think Merrill when healthy will get a very legit last chance. I even tend to think frenchy, because he fits that Shero mold, will get his shot before Helg.

Yeah Helg could get some spot duty if injuries crop up, or if Merrill and french flop, but we are talking 5 deep on the lhd depth chart at that point, which team has a good 5 deep option?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If i had to pick from all the options on the table, i think i would go with Fowler before all else. First, he is the youngest and signed for a bit longer as well. Second, LD is a need much more then RD. Third, adding another RD like Shattenkirk really makes things with Severson a bit more confusing. I really dont see them putting Severson and then Merrill or Moore on the second pairing and dropping Lovejoy. On top of that i really dont think its good for Seversons development to get 3rd pairing minutes. I think just for the future of the team landing someone like Fowler makes more sense.

Greene - Severson
Folwer - Lovejoy
Moore/Merrill - Santini/Gormley/Whoever else gets a shot

I would be rather comfortable with that. If Severson is showing problems with playing as a top pairing Dman switch him with Lovejoy and then you get Fowler and Severson talk about a pair of defense man who can skate!

Now with all that said, we likely wont land any of these guys.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fowler would be just about perfect.

Is he really on the blocks? How long before he is UFA, he's still only 24 but he has been in the league for 6 years.

Agree on Shatty, he's one of those additions that yeah, would make the team better, a lot better, but the fit is off. Given his contract status that is a move a team makes when they are in win now mode, we are not. Not every move needs to be about maximizing our win total.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Fowler would be just about perfect.

Is he really on the blocks? How long before he is UFA, he's still only 24 but he has been in the league for 6 years.

Agree on Shatty, he's one of those additions that yeah, would make the team better, a lot better, but the fit is off. Given his contract status that is a move a team makes when they are in win now mode, we are not. Not every move needs to be about maximizing our win total.

He's got 2 yrs left at $4M ea.
If we could get him without using a first and then somehow use that first with adds for Shatty we are there IMO

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
He's got 2 yrs left at $4M ea.
If we could get him without using a first and then somehow use that first with adds for Shatty we are there IMO

I dont see the need for both. We still want to have our young guys get there minutes and develop. We are being very greedy trying to land both and its also very unlikely to happen. Once one of the is traded it will change the value of the other.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
http://www.adn.com/sports/2016/08/31/rink-retirement-standard-bearer-scott-gomez-calls-it-a-career/

I'd LOVE for Gomer to come to work for us as an analyst, he has been on NHLN as an analyst quite a bit, as well as CSN in studio with the Sharks during the playoffs.

Gomer is better than about 75% of the hockey personalities on TV, that includes PBP, color, locker room reporter, in studio, pre/post game analysis, etc.

I don't think he'd be a great PBP or color commentator, but he'd be awesome on pre and post games and interviewing players. He'd also provide some comic relief, even though Dano and Johnny Mac provide (unintentionally in Dano's case) a lot of that.:laugh:

If I recall correctly, he interview for the analyst spot for the Devils when MacLean got the job.

That being said, I was believe that was before his second stint with the team so I don't know how well that would've gone over for the fan base. I agree though, he would be a terrific option there.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...ez_no_regrets_about_postponing_tv_career.html

If the Devils don’t sign him, Gomez will have given up his chance to do TV work for the Devils. He tested with MSG during the offseason, but John MacLean will do studio work and Ken Daneyko will replace Chico Resch as analyst alongside Steve Cangialosi.

Gomez has no regrets about trying to keep playing rather than jumping into a Devils TV job.

“I was thinking more 60 Minutes,” he said with a laugh. “No. That’s the furthest thing from my mind. I want to play hockey.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
My understanding of Ek's statement about the Devils being in on Fowler and Shattenkirk is that we've made calls to both their respective teams. I think for us it's either or and not both.

If we land both, then two of Zacha, Severson, and 2017 1st are gone.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My understanding of Ek's statement about the Devils being in on Fowler and Shattenkirk is that we've made calls to both their respective teams. I think for us it's either or and not both.

Neither Anaheim or St. Louis needs Severson.

And I also feel like people need to say that, but look at what the Islanders pulled Leddy and Boychuk in for during the 2014 training camp. Boychuk was acquired for two seconds and a conditional third whereas Leddy was traded for Ville Pokka, T.J. Brennan, and Nilsson's rights.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I dont see the need for both. We still want to have our young guys get there minutes and develop. We are being very greedy trying to land both and its also very unlikely to happen. Once one of the is traded it will change the value of the other.

Shatty is a better d man than Fowler. Severson was our PMD and now as the Lars replacement I see him being more a complete defenseman. The Hall add is great, but having more scoring potential from the blueline would push other teams back and would complete what Shero said he wanted this team to be. Santini will be the defensive guy, Moore will chip in but he's neither of both, but a good a skater. Merrill is a question mark for me. Can't speak to the new group but I would not count on them for anything less than depth.

In my eyes with a Folwer Shattenkirk add our D gets pretty sound offensively and is already setup to be decent defensively.

I say be greedy, a mid round 1st pick wont help us for 3-4 yrs from this draft. Add it to picks/prospects to land shattenkirk (with a contract/promise pre trade) is a no brainer. And it keeps it from ruining his career in NYC

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Shatty is a better d man than Fowler. Severson was our PMD and now as the Lars replacement I see him being more a complete defenseman. The Hall add is great, but having more scoring potential from the blueline would push other teams back and would complete what Shero said he wanted this team to be. Santini will be the defensive guy, Moore will chip in but he's neither of both, but a good a skater. Merrill is a question mark for me. Can't speak to the new group but I would not count on them for anything less than depth.

In my eyes with a Folwer Shattenkirk add our D gets pretty sound offensively and is already setup to be decent defensively.

I say be greedy, a mid round 1st pick wont help us for 3-4 yrs from this draft. Add it to picks/prospects to land shattenkirk (with a contract/promise pre trade) is a no brainer. And it keeps it from ruining his career in NYC

I just feel the cost of landing both will be too high. Would i like to get both? Sure i would, i would argue that landing both puts us in the playoffs rather easily. But i just feel like once one is off the board then the others value is going to sky rocket making them harder to acquire. I personally do not want to have to give up any of Zacha McLeod or Santini, I would consider the 2017 1st. But any and everything else is up for grabs as far as Im concerned. I would also ONLY give up Severson is i knew we had or were getting Shattenkirk.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Neither Anaheim or St. Louis needs Severson.

And I also feel like people need to say that, but look at what the Islanders pulled Leddy and Boychuk in for during the 2014 training camp. Boychuk was acquired for two seconds and a conditional third whereas Leddy was traded for Ville Pokka, T.J. Brennan, and Nilsson's rights.

I think that move was stealthy, whereas these 2 guys are out there everyday with trade proposals out the wazoo. Neither one will get a bad pkg going the other way. Zippy your right about D men going back, Ana is packed to the gills, thats why they can afford to move CF. I think that's good for us keeping Sevs. StL is the same, Pietrangello and Parayko are studs. Neither team will be looking for D IMO. I see the LWs and picks being the likely needs along with a cap dump like Stoner from Ana. and maybe a Berglund for StL

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA

Totally agree with you and would also love for him to be part of our broadcast crew. From what I remember, he was all set to work for MSG before he met with Dano and Lou who told him to try and play if he still had that love and drive. Hell to have him on give mounds of poop to Al Nuttwig on Hockey Night Live would make that show must see TV.

He will always be one of my favorite players. I hated that he went to the team across the river but never blamed him - they basically backed up a truck full of $$$ and dumped it on his lawn. Would be hard for anyone to turn that down. (Plus I was more mad at Lou for how he handled it. Add him to the list of players Lou didn't sign when he had the chance cause his belief in not negotiating with a player until their contract was up) I was mad when the Devils didn't resign him last year (I still think he would've helped, especially when Cam went down). I really hope that, if he's not working for us on MSG, that he's on the NHL Network.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA

Totally agree with you and would also love for him to be part of our broadcast crew. From what I remember, he was all set to work for MSG before he met with Dano and Lou who told him to try and play if he still had that love and drive. Hell to have him on give mounds of poop to Al Nuttwig on Hockey Night Live would make that show must see TV.

He will always be one of my favorite players. I hated that he went to the team across the river but never blamed him - they basically backed up a truck full of $$$ and dumped it on his lawn. Would be hard for anyone to turn that down. (Plus I was more mad at Lou for how he handled it. Add him to the list of players Lou didn't sign when he had the chance cause his belief in not negotiating with a player until their contract was up) I was mad when the Devils didn't resign him last year (I still think he would've helped, especially when Cam went down). I really hope that, if he's not working for us on MSG, that he's on the NHL Network.

Group Chat Legend*

Whos Ek?

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I don't think we have the pieces to land either Shattenkirk or Fowler without crippling our thin prospect pool further. Neither of those pieces makes this team a contender so why do it?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Eklund, so disregard.

to be fair, i dont visit the site for eklund...they have a pretty good staff of writers for most teams, including the devils, which are usually good reads. im sure a lot of other people only visit hockeybuzz for the same reason

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm glad Gomer made amends in his reunion tour two seasons ago. He played incredibly well all things considered, and I really do wish he had gotten a chance to come back the following season.

Congrats on a hell of a career!

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
It's no so much Eklund as it is Shero, who I expect to make a move. He's has been on fire since arriving. I just feel it's not IF Shero makes a trade, more WHEN he'll make a trade. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad