Devils 2015-16 team discussion (players news & notes) Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If you look back on the thread where Schlemko was signed, there are a lot of "who?", "what?," and "why?" reactions. This off-season, there was disappointment that he wasn't re-signed with the Devils. A Russel signing might also be underrated but effective. Throwing that out there not to call anyone out but just to show the value in a shrewd veteran signing.

I don't mind a one-year deal. It's just, I don't think he'd settle for that. But again, it's August 31.

As long as we have the luxury to move on from Russell next summer (if we want to), I'm okay with it.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't mind a one-year deal. It's just, I don't think he'd settle for that. But again, it's August 31.

As long as we have the luxury to move on from Russell next summer (if we want to), I'm okay with it.

I'm not sure what Russell would be willing to sign for either. I remember that Schlemko was signed pretty close to training camp last year, so if Russell is still waiting on a deal around that time, maybe he is willing to sign a one year deal. Who knows, and I definitely wouldn't say to sign Russell at all costs or anything, but that I wouldn't dismiss the value of a veteran just to play someone younger and that sometimes we do find value in unexpected places. Just some food for thought now that lunch is over. :)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

who was the defenseman last year that everyone was anticipating he would sign, for a decent cap hit, and nothing happened until august-ish? carle? I cant remember. funny though how that seems to be more and more of a regular occurrence. all due to the salary cap id assume

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
who was the defenseman last year that everyone was anticipating he would sign, for a decent cap hit, and nothing happened until august-ish? carle? I cant remember. funny though how that seems to be more and more of a regular occurrence. all due to the salary cap id assume

You mean Cody Franson?

Kris Russell's deal might very well be a copy of his. Two years at $3 million per year.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I certainly hope that any D left on the FA market aren't given more than a 1 year deal by us.... If anything.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
In all seriousness, Kris Russell deserves more than a 1-year deal. He's a good d-man. He's only 29 years old.

He'd be a very good addition to our defense and would make us a better team.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
In all seriousness, Kris Russell deserves more than a 1-year deal. He's a good d-man. He's only 29 years old.

He'd be a very good addition to our defense and would make us a better team.

agreed, I would take him on a fair deal. not sure about going more than one year in the devils situation, but you are right that he deserves more than that.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
In my opinion, we need a left handed top four d-man.

Greene-Severson
BLANK-Lovejoy
Merrill/Moore-Santini

I am not cool with going into the season having Moore or Merrill in the second pairing. Maybe Russell can be had on the cheap. If he was given a good offer I am sure he would be signed already. I would absolutely give up a first rounder for Fowler or Shattenkirk. That being said, we would probably have to throw in a prospect that we wouldn't want to give up (McLeod, Santini).

Agree about the current lineup. As for Fowler and Shatty, a first rounder is what I would give, no MORE. Shatty is in his final year and he's a better player than Fowler. I don't consider them on par, however, the better player needs to be resigned and I'm not sure he would with the Devils, presently.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The reason for no longer than a year is I'm hoping that we leave as much cap space open to really take advantage of the expansion draft and that's where we find a steal or two that help set up our team long term.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Isn't Russell largely **** on by the adcanced stats people?

All of his possession metrics are absolute trash, like bottom pairing/fringe NHL level.

I'd take him on a PTO for free and if he earns a spot then he earns a spot, if he doesn't who gives a ****.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Russell seems like he's Volchenkov 2.0.

I would prefer him over our other 3LD options in a vacuum, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to commit to giving him a contract.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rico doesn't shoot a lot, but almost all of his goals come from the front of the net. He gets there consistently, that's why his shooting percentage is always so high.

He has almost no play making ability, though. Zacha has him hogtied on that one.

His junior numbers don't really indicate it, but Zacha's more of a playmaker than a shooter. He's a lot like Ryan Getzlaf.

That's entirely unfair to Henrique.

He might not have the flashy playmaking skills but he definitely has playmaking ability. It seems like he succeeds a lot on being deceptive and nifty rather than being flashy. That Henrique - Gomez - Bernier line we ran with for a while in 2014-15 would pull a lot of sneaky plays to score some garbage goals.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are his advanced stats worse than John Moore's? Moore might be the worst defenseman in the NHL!:sarcasm:

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
If we get Russell, that makes me think we won't make a play on Shatty. RD is actually "ok" for now, I don't like playing Merrill or Moore on the second pair.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Are his advanced stats worse than John Moore's? Moore might be the worst defenseman in the NHL!:sarcasm:

The one argument against that some people hold onto in his favor is comparative to Brodie and Giordano his numbers are terrible. Their numbers are absolutely incredible so all the numbers relative to his team look like trash because of it.

Ripshot hit the nail on the head, he is Anton Volchenkov in Peter Harrold's body. It's not really a good combination.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We needed a top 4 LD last year as well but we still got by.

If the right deal shows up pull the trigger but I'm perfectly fine rolling with what we have to avoid over paying for someone.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I would much rather play Merrill or Moore on the 2nd pair then sign Russell to a multi-year deal.

One year contract/PTO, fine. Still more in favor of seeing whether the young guys can rebound though.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
No need to give up assets on Shatty when he's going UFA after this year and we have Severson, Lovejoy and Santini ready to go. I don't want to block either of the young cost controlled guys. 2LD is the obvious need and I trust in Shero that he is doing what he can.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think Lovejoy might be the kind of partner Merrill needs to settle his game down a little. Although it'll probably end up being Moore who gets that top 4 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad