Devils 2015-16 team discussion (players news & notes) Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think Lovejoy might be the kind of partner Merrill needs to settle his game down a little. Although it'll probably end up being Moore who gets that top 4 spot.

Whoever it is, we just need to at least build a 2nd pairing that's serviceable.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Not to scare anyone but just a quick look and it seems like our boy Lovejoy misses a fair amount of time each season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not to scare anyone but just a quick look and it seems like our boy Lovejoy misses a fair amount of time each season.

All the more reason to sign or PTO another preferably vet defenseman.

Our defense was fine for most of last year, but became gross and godawful at times, when injuries started to happen.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
All the more reason to sign or PTO another preferably vet defenseman.

Our defense was fine for most of last year, but became gross and godawful at times, when injuries started to happen.

Brandon Gormley FTW.

We are collecting former 1st rounders to hope one becomes a star. DSP, BB Gun and Gormley... That leaves only 1 obvious PTO out there I see...

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Merrill won't be starting the season anyways due to his surgery. We are really really needing another LHD.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was posted by a poster on the Sharks forum (who is at Sharks Ice) that Merrill was skating there with a couple other Sharks players and some that live in San Jose during the offseason.

It was over two weeks ago when it was first posted. So hopefully he's ahead of schedule and ready to go by opening night.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It was posted by a poster on the Sharks forum (who is at Sharks Ice) that Merrill was skating there with a couple other Sharks players and some that live in San Jose during the offseason.

It was over two weeks ago when it was first posted. So hopefully he's ahead of schedule and ready to go by opening night.

Merrill for Wingels. DeBoer loved Merrill during his time here.

Make it happen Shero.

In all seriousness, Merrill probably had surgery/rehab in the San Fransisco area so he's skating with those players. Seems like a lot of NHL players skate with players from other teams over the summer. Kinkaid practiced with a lot of the Islanders if I remember correctly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Merrill for Wingels. DeBoer loved Merrill during his time here.

Make it happen Shero.

In all seriousness, Merrill probably had surgery/rehab in the San Fransisco area so he's skating with those players. Seems like a lot of NHL players skate with players from other teams over the summer. Kinkaid practiced with a lot of the Islanders if I remember correctly.

No way on Merrill for Wingels, probably a fair deal though.

But that would almost guarantee one of the turds (Helgeson) being an every night D man.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No way on Merrill for Wingels, probably a fair deal though.

But that would almost guarantee one of the turds (Helgeson) being an every night D man.

Don't see it happen, but it's likely contingent on Merrill losing a spot on the left side and either Bennett or DSP not cutting it on the RW or the kids not being ready for 3C where he could potentially fill in.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't see it happen, but it's likely contingent on Merrill losing a spot on the left side and either Bennett or DSP not cutting it on the RW or the kids not being ready for 3C where he could potentially fill in.

I think it's certainly a fair deal, but I don't think our blue line can afford it right now. If we had another vet-ish D-man signed, I could justify it.

I'm not high on Merrill either, but I'm a little higher on him than most of this forum. I think he's at least a #6 NHL D-man. Whereas many others see him as borderline #6/#7 or waiver bait.

I think Helgeson, Scarlett, Gormley, are all call ups at the very best. Don't feel comfortable with any of these guys in the lineup on an every night basis.

Auvitu and Mozik are question marks, we don't know enough about either at the NHL level.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree with all of you, we should totally trade for Chara, I`m glad everyone has seen the light

I wouldn't flip my **** if we acquired Chara, he just isn't worth what we'd spend on him.

I don't think he's a bad defenseman yet, which means he won't be cheap.

A 1st rounder and a decent offensive player (like Boucher or Blandisi) is not worth Chara to me.

I don't dislike the idea of acquiring Chara, as much as I don't like what it would take to acquire Chara.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's certainly a fair deal, but I don't think our blue line can afford it right now. If we had another vet-ish D-man signed, I could justify it.

I'm not high on Merrill either, but I'm a little higher on him than most of this forum. I think he's at least a #6 NHL D-man. Whereas many others see him as borderline #6/#7 or waiver bait.

I think Helgeson, Scarlett, Gormley, are all call ups at the very best. Don't feel comfortable with any of these guys in the lineup on an every night basis.

Auvitu and Mozik are question marks, we don't know enough about either at the NHL level.

Auvitu is kind of a wild card to me. With his skating and puck moving skills, he could be a really good fit for Hynes' system. Or he could be Waiver Wire 2.0.

The competition between Santini/Gormley/Auvitu/Mozik/Helgeson/Whoever else for the third pairing is going to be interesting to watch.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
http://www.adn.com/sports/2016/08/31/rink-retirement-standard-bearer-scott-gomez-calls-it-a-career/

Scott Gomez officially retires.

I'd LOVE for Gomer to come to work for us as an analyst, he has been on NHLN as an analyst quite a bit, as well as CSN in studio with the Sharks during the playoffs.

Gomer is better than about 75% of the hockey personalities on TV, that includes PBP, color, locker room reporter, in studio, pre/post game analysis, etc.

I don't think he'd be a great PBP or color commentator, but he'd be awesome on pre and post games and interviewing players. He'd also provide some comic relief, even though Dano and Johnny Mac provide (unintentionally in Dano's case) a lot of that.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Auvitu is kind of a wild card to me. With his skating and puck moving skills, he could be a really good fit for Hynes' system. Or he could be Waiver Wire 2.0.

The competition between Santini/Gormley/Auvitu/Mozik/Helgeson/Whoever else for the third pairing is going to be interesting to watch.

If we really pay attention to advanced stats, Helgeson should be out already. His analytics are awful and the eye test proves he's awful. He might fool people into thinking he's not awful, due to a lack of blatant dumb plays or turnovers, like what we see out of Merrill and Moore sometimes. But play stays in our end for extended amounts of time when he's on the ice.

Gormley should get a look, if not because sometimes players do better with a change of scenery. Other than that, I don't have too high of hopes for him.

Auvitu should also get a chance because we don't know much about him. As the old saying goes in the credit world, it's better to have no credit at all than to have BAD credit. Auvitu is already less of a risk than than Helgeson and Gormley, who both have BAD credit and a history of not paying the bills on time.

Santini is in the same boat as Auvitu IMO, though I do believe Santini's ceiling is undoubtedly higher.

Mozik was a Shero signing (unless Lou found him like he did Kalinin) and he deserves a longer look. Maybe he amounts to nothing, as Helgeson didn't look so godawful after only 7 NHL game himself. It also helped that Salvador and Fraser were on either end of his short time in 2014-2015. And the 2014 Salvador and Mark Fraser at any time, can make their contemporaries look a lot better than they really are. But in his very limited time, his credit score is still at least a 700 in my book, whereas Helgeson and Gormley's are in the 550 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad