Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Catching up some games lately. Watched us beat Columbus last night, and right now I'm watching the game vs the Wild.

I just can't say enough about how much credit Reid Boucher deserves for his turnaround and growth as a player. It's really great to see. So many counted him out, he's been up and down and he's never moped about it.

He's a complete player now, and as that growth continues he'll become a real weapon. His shot is in his DNA and when he gets even more comfortable he'll score a lot of goals for us. The kid is only 22 years still.

Really really awesome to see. Probably my favorite player on the team now.

His shot has always been impressive but he plays well in all 3 zones. What's REALLY surprised me this season is how good of a playmaker he is. He's not reliant on that shot for success.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Claude Carrier was fired today after 31 years in the Jersey organization. Was called by head scout to tell him that he was done and over with.

Don't understand.....he's the reason why you guys were able to get the future Wayne Simmonds....;)
You mean Hoeffel instead of Simmonds?

Enjoy retirement Claude and thank you for all your years with the Devils.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't get why they'd let go of the rest of the scouting staff now as opposed to last summer?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They let go of him now to maybe get as much information as they can but not let them have any influence?

Whoever new comes in is going to have two months before the draft, maybe two and a half at most. I get all the scouts had contracts and maybe they didn't want to pay them all to go away but this is kind of another year where we're doing it half and half, some with old guard scouting and some with new regime scouting.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't get why they'd let go of the rest of the scouting staff now as opposed to last summer?

Rumor is that they didn't want to fire him prior to the Brodeur ceremony....let just say that Carrier was not a happy camper talking in a radio show here in Montreal.....calling them hypocrites...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zoinks, at least Conte left without rancor. I'm surprised he didn't get a job yet himself.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Zoinks, at least Conte left without rancor. I'm surprised he didn't get a job yet himself.

not the best draft record...best recent player is Larsson and that was pretty much a gimme pick. Henrique must be the only player they drafted after Zajac to have at least 100 points and even he was drafted almost 8 years ago.

Conte works with Lou does he not?

was a rumor but never made official. I don't think Lou even hired his son for Toronto after the Devils and him parted ways.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Whoever new comes in is going to have two months before the draft, maybe two and a half at most. I get all the scouts had contracts and maybe they didn't want to pay them all to go away but this is kind of another year where we're doing it half and half, some with old guard scouting and some with new regime scouting.

I don't think they will hire anyone new in the time but they let him go right as regular seasons are ending. maybe it's a coincidence maybe it's about that Brodeur thing. who knows we'll never know

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
not the best draft record...best recent player is Larsson and that was pretty much a gimme pick. Henrique must be the only player they drafted after Zajac to have at least 100 points and even he was drafted almost 8 years ago.

was a rumor but never made official. I don't think Lou even hired his son for Toronto after the Devils and him parted ways.

Conte's record as a scout is pretty close to Lou's as a GM and Lou got a job five minutes after he was booted upstairs. The fact Lou didn't really bring anyone over there yet does lead me to believe it's more Shanny's show though.

If Conte is working with Lou it's as a consultant a la Lemaire, nothing official.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Grateful we had guys like Carrier.

You can talk about the last decade all you want, but this team found some terrific players in the golden days. And, despite some of the recent misses, looking at Boucher, Wood, JQ and a few others is very encouraging.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because he's not employed by them.

I don't think he is either.

Lemaire officially was hired by them though, in the same role he had here for the past 4 years.

Claude Carrier was the longest tenured employee for the team, wasn't he?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hoeffel

And who is our new Wayne Simmonds?

I think he was referring to DSP. Which is far too generous of a comparison. I think he's closer to a Steve Bernier (when he was good) myself. A solid bottom six forward who can chip in 10-15 goals and provide some net front presence.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he was referring to DSP. Which is far too generous of a comparison. I think he's closer to a Steve Bernier (when he was good) myself. A solid bottom six forward who can chip in 10-15 goals and provide some net front presence.

I'm hoping he's better than Bernier. Not that Bernier was terrible early on, but the last few years his production fluctuates greatly.

I think he might be done from the league after this year, unless he gets called up on a two way contract. He hasn't done much on the Islanders, and has only played 20 games all year.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
If Jonny B slips further in Toronto maybe Steve can go try out for his job. Yeah I know he's not a goalie but here's the beautiful thing, neither is Jon sometimes. But really, if SB replaces JB they don't even need to order new jerseys!

In fact TOR could get by without ordering jerseys for any of the laffs roster. Reason being that they have some of the most generous fans on the planet. Seriously, these folks will give you the shirt right off their backs...as in quite literally making an on ice donation of jerseys on game night :laugh:

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
Conte's record as a scout is pretty close to Lou's as a GM and Lou got a job five minutes after he was booted upstairs. The fact Lou didn't really bring anyone over there yet does lead me to believe it's more Shanny's show though.

If Conte is working with Lou it's as a consultant a la Lemaire, nothing official.

lou was brought into TO so shanny could have the 30+ years of connections he has among other FO people, i bet you he's more of an advisor than anything.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
lou was brought into TO so shanny could have the 30+ years of connections he has among other FO people, i bet you he's more of an advisor than anything.

Or maybe he was brought in because he's one of the best GM's of all time and is responsible for most, if not every, shrewd rebuild move made by Toronto this year?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
id be very happy if we got Simmonds-lite from DSP. what a steal that would be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad