Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
honestly don't care one iota about Blandisi's D, especially for a 21 year old rookie

its Ok to have some offensive minded forwards

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
On Blandisi's D. Shaky, but I don't question his effort or grit, the latter ranks pretty high actually, so given he looks to think the game well with the puck, in time I think he will put it together on the defensive side as well.

Good point, I agree that he could certainly put it together.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Quenneville definitely being underrated around here.

Glad to see Mozik finally called up. I have high hopes for him.

The Beaver

Jan 2, 2013
Worcester, MA
honestly don't care one iota about Blandisi's D, especially for a 21 year old rookie

its Ok to have some offensive minded forwards

I absolutely agree with this. I live in MA and a lot of Bruin fans debate the same thing about Pastrnak and listening to them I always say it's ok to have a couple of offensive heavy forwards. Just a side mention not comparing Blandisi to Pastrnak by the way

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There's no such thing as a cup winner that doesn't have at least one guy who's a bit of an adventure in his own zone. But of course he has to bring something else, which Blandisi certainly does.

The idea is to make sure you don't have a team full of them.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'm VERY impressed by Boucher's development. His assist on the third goal last night shows how far he's came since his first callup.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm VERY impressed by Boucher's development. His assist on the third goal last night shows how far he's came since his first callup.

That was a beauty. He really looks like a pretty well balanced player. I didn't expect that at all. His skating leaves much to be desired, but it doesn't seem to hold him back much. I could see Blandisi and Boucher complementing each other on the same line down the road. Blender has the skating ability (when he's not falling) and passing vision while Boucher has the great shot.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed. We're dead last in offense; I'm not going to complain about a guy's D when he can bring some O.

I agree completely.

When we were dressing a guy like Tootoo all but one game this year when he was healthy enough to play, I don't really care if Blandisi is meh at defense.

It's when he stops producing defense and is terrible at defense (Gelinas this year) that it becomes a problem.

And his defense would have to be really bad to be as bad as Gelinas, just using it as an example. Not really comparing their defense to one another.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Guys need to play D. Balandisi's D need's to improve. It's not a big deal, he's young, we are not a playoff team, he can learn, but lets' not act like it's not important in the long run.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Guys need to play D. Balandisi's D need's to improve. It's not a big deal, he's young, we are not a playoff team, he can learn, but lets' not act like it's not important in the long run.

It's not that important for a second/third line left wing to play a two way game if he's providing offense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

100% agreement. I am little bit surprised that this is even a topic though. He's brand new to the pro game and some slop should be expected.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

I can see him getting better at it every game. He was put out in the final couple minutes, too. With a 1 goal lead.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As anyone stopped and looked at how the defense played for most of the season compared to post break and during the march collapse until know and figured how what happened?

It wasn't all Cory carrying the whole defense. Our overall GAA wouldn't be so good if it was all Cory (seriously how often does a goalie put up numbers that can win the Jenning by himself?). Cory's numbers would have to be even better then they were for him to have been doing it all himself. Clear Hart and Vezina front runner stuff. So what happened?

Did we just lose structure? Were we shuffling bodies to much and Hynes being overly aggressive with rotating guys? Guys playing hurt (they are almost all hurt now, but were they playing hurt before)? Or is it a combination of poor defensive play by forwards on top of one of the above reasons?

The defense was not this bad for the first 60 or so games so what the hell happened? And it started before Cory got hurt too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As anyone stopped and looked at how the defense played for most of the season compared to post break and during the march collapse until know and figured how what happened?

It wasn't all Cory carrying the whole defense. Our overall GAA wouldn't be so good if it was all Cory (seriously how often does a goalie put up numbers that can win the Jenning by himself?). Cory's numbers would have to be even better then they were for him to have been doing it all himself. Clear Hart and Vezina front runner stuff. So what happened?

Did we just lose structure? Were we shuffling bodies to much and Hynes being overly aggressive with rotating guys? Guys playing hurt (they are almost all hurt now, but were they playing hurt before)? Or is it a combination of poor defensive play by forwards on top of one of the above reasons?

The defense was not this bad for the first 60 or so games so what the hell happened? And it started before Cory got hurt too.
I think it might just be a string of bad play.

I think our PK has also seemed to drop off too. I think with Cory, he was probably due for a regression in play. Some of it's goaltending, but there has been some structure issues. Goals like the first two scored on Danis last night were perfect examples of that.

I don't know if it's a defense thing, as much as a team defense thing. Forwards/defensemen combined. I really do not like the Warsofsky and Helgeson pairing though, or Warsofsky at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it might just be a string of bad play.

I think our PK has also seemed to drop off too. I think with Cory, he was probably due for a regression in play. Some of it's goaltending, but there has been some structure issues. Goals like the first two scored on Danis last night were perfect examples of that.

I don't know if it's a defense thing, as much as a team defense thing. Forwards/defensemen combined. I really do not like the Warsofsky and Helgeson pairing though, or Warsofsky at all.

No JJ on the PK doesn't help as he was good at it.

Maybe the lack of him adds to the lack of defense since it's what he is decent at.

Our current third line is not to be trusted in their our zone.

There seems to be tons of miscommunications there weren't there before.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Elite goaltending can mask a lot of problems. Plus we've been leaning on Greene/Larsson to handle a lot of the tough minutes, and with the other two pairings becoming a revolving door with injuries/scratches/call ups, etc. it's kind of hard to maintain consistency. And then there's the overall quality of our forwards, which isn't particularly good with no Cammalleri or Stempniak anymore. Plus I think we just plain played over our heads for a long time and some of this is just a natural regression.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Your Top-7 most hatred teams right now?

Take into consideration all factors including the rivalry with the Devils, certain players, geography, history, announcers, fanbases, etc.

Mine today?
First 2 are locks, it gets tricky 3-7.

1. Rags
2. Philly
3. Rawly
4. NYb
5. Cbj
6. Senzzz
7. Florida

Minny (Zach) just misses the cut.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Philly
NYR
Carolina ( I was actually a pretty big fan of them when they came into the league...granted i was a kid..and pretty big into country music and Nascar at the time so it made sense. Nashville kind of replaced them in that regard. )
Pittsburgh ( mainly for the fanbase )
NYI
MTL
LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad