Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Can't believe someone gave ruutu that contract.
And Lou still thought he can play hockey.

To be fair, Carolina gave him that contract after three straight seasons playing at a 50+ point pace, and he was 27-28 at the time. I don't think anybody saw him going over a cliff the way he did.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
All I'm saying about Blandisi is he has a lot of work to do and his play is overrated, people seem to ignore the bad because he puts up points or has flash.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All I'm saying about Blandisi is he has a lot of work to do and his play is overrated, people seem to ignore the bad because he puts up points or has flash.

His defensive game needs tons of work. In my opinion it was very evident even in the AHL. That being said, that is not unusual in the least for a new pro.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I hate to parrot this line cause it's usually used here for guys who aren't even that great offensively to start with like Brunner or Tedenby, but it is okay to have a couple of meh defensive forwards IF they're providing offense (and if your defense isn't total trash). Until the last several games Blandisi was providing offense, not as much lately but same is true for just about everyone at this point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm sure better defense will come with more experience for Blandisi. I wouldn't be too concerned. You're talking about a player with 57 total pro games both AHL and NHL combined.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Curious to hear some opinions. I was having a conversation with someone and we had a difference of opinion about one player...So how would you rank these forwards:

Boucher, Blandisi, Coleman, Zacha, Quenneville, Wood, Lorito.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I hate to parrot this line cause it's usually used here for guys who aren't even that great offensively to start with like Brunner or Tedenby, but it is okay to have a couple of meh defensive forwards IF they're providing offense (and if your defense isn't total trash). Until the last several games Blandisi was providing offense, not as much lately but same is true for just about everyone at this point.
He was providing offense at a good rate early on and even looking at it from a big picture perspective his production is fine, but it is clear he has to work on his defensive game. Just saying his play is worse than people will acknowledge.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Curious to hear some opinions. I was having a conversation with someone and we had a difference of opinion about one player...So how would you rank these forwards:

In terms or potential
Zacha, Wood, Q, Blender, Bouch, Lorito, Coleman

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Zacha
JQ
Wood
Blandisi
Boucher
Coleman
Lorito

JQ and Wood are close for me. Blandisi and Boucher are also close but I like Blandisi's potential better.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Zacha
Blandisi
Boucher/Quenneville
Wood
Lorito
Coleman

Very hard to rate a 3rd year pro like Boucher along with the rest of those guys. There's going to be significant prospect fatigue with him - just look at everyone who had already written him off at the end of last year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I really think Boucher or Blandisi should be tried at RW or try Blandisi at C. When (if) Cammalleri gets healthy and if Zacha is up and at LW next year, there's gonna be quite a logjam. Blandisi and Boucher have both shown a lot this year and should be on lines with skilled players.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
On Blandisi, I agree that he needs to improve defensively, but he is a first year pro, so that really is not an uncommon issue, and I think defensive positioning and awareness can be taught if he is willing to learn and work hard. What's harder to teach is the offensive skills and creativity Blandisi has shown so far. The offensive skills and creativity seem to be translating to the NHL for Blandisi, and that is huge for him and the Devils, since before this year, that was the big question for him: if those skills and creativity would translate at all.

Now, heading into next season, the question is more can he continue to find ways to make an offensive impact in the NHL and if he can improve defensively. Those are more issues for next year's development, but I'm pleased with Blandisi's growth this season. So, sure, there's definitely room for improvement with Blandisi, but for a first year pro, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as the growth occurs.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014

1.Pavel Zacha -- Has 1.2 ppg in the OHL. At the beginning of his development: if we're talking about ceiling, he's the clear winner. If we're talking about probability of a successful NHL career, he's a little bit lower. I'm taking this list to mean who is likely to be best, and in that case my vote goes to PZ.

2.Joseph Blandisi -- He could very well be a playmaking top-six left wing for the Devils. He has flair and good hand-eye but he has to work on balance, discipline and two-way play. Still, if you told me that two from this group of seven would make it to the top line, I'd say PZ and Blender.

3. Reid Boucher -- He looks like he's going to top out as a second line forward. He has good on-ice presence but does not have an elite enough shot to be a first line sniper. Nonetheless, I love the progress he's made and hope that in the future good linemates beget better production.

4. Miles Wood -- He's only below Boucher right now because he's never played in a pro game. He's having a good freshman campaign but he's the age of a sophomore. I think he'll be a good NHLer and may top out on the second line but more likely the third line.

5. John Quenneville -- He's shown that the Devils didn't make the best pick when they took him at #30 (Ivan Barbashev has shown this too) but I'm happy to have him. He'll make for a good shutdown line LW in the NHL which I wouldn't mind. Perhaps we could have a fourth line of Q, JJ and Sergey Kalinin. That's not bad.

6. Blake Coleman -- People are hopeful that this guy can be a bottom-six center in the NHL. I haven't seen enough to comment but missing the majority of his age-25 season from injury does not help matters. Time is running out on him.

7. Matt Lorito -- Was a near point per game player for a horrible Brown squad. He's been good with Albany but some players are destined to be AHL-fodder and I think we are talking about one of those guys. Unless he's going to be a third-line scoring winger, I don't see much room in the NHL for a playmaking 5'9 LW who has been good but unspectacular everywhere he's been. Let's give him a shot in training camp to prove me wrong, but I've put too much trust in guys like Joe Whitney, Mike Sislo, and Paul Thompson and they never came through for me.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I really think Boucher or Blandisi should be tried at RW or try Blandisi at C. When (if) Cammalleri gets healthy and if Zacha is up and at LW next year, there's gonna be quite a logjam. Blandisi and Boucher have both shown a lot this year and should be on lines with skilled players.

Reality is that Zacha making the big club next year is a long-shot.

Blandisi and Boucher need to figure out how to make an impact at the NHL level first before it makes sense for them to experiment with switching positions. Neither have shown that they can consistently be difference makers. Plus, there's always the "sophomore slump" to worry about.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
For the record the conversation was about Wood/Quenneville. I had Wood a bit lower than some of you guys did and pretty much the same as Triumph had him.

The conversation sort came down to Wood vs Quenneville. We had the two transposed, I had Quenneville as the 2nd best forward prospect and that was the difference of opinion.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Q above Wood at this point. Love how Wood has progressed, could still see him having the higher ceiling(based on what? you know, the internet) but Q is looking pretty legit and pretty close to being ready.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On Blandisi's D. Shaky, but I don't question his effort or grit, the latter ranks pretty high actually, so given he looks to think the game well with the puck, in time I think he will put it together on the defensive side as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad