Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I mean more of a cup contender 3rd liner, not a bottom feeder 3rd liner. Some of our current 3rd liners shouldn't even be in the NHL. I could see Wood being a 2nd liner on a **** team, but if we are building correctly (and just by the amount of LWs we have) Wood would be a major upgrade on the 3rd line for us.

Ha, yeah, our 3rd line this year has been azz.

But again, is there more to Wood's game then just this bowling ball of frantic energy?

He's taken the road less traveled, and aside from one year at BC where he was asked to play more physically rather then showing off skills, we have seen nearly nothing of him.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I tend to agree that it's possible Wood has more offense than he's shown; I'm bullish on him. Whether or not he progresses to be a top 6 forward, I think we'll enjoy watching him play. Kid has all the makings of a classic, old school power forward.

I made plans tomorrow night figuring I didn't need to watch the Devils play out the string, and now Zacha, Wood, and Santini are set to make their debuts. Thankfully NHL.tv has the replay feature!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ha, yeah, our 3rd line this year has been azz.

But again, is there more to Wood's game then just this bowling ball of frantic energy?

He's taken the road less traveled, and aside from one year at BC where he was asked to play more physically rather then showing off skills, we have seen nearly nothing of him.

It is possible but I think he maxes at 20-25 goals, but is this freight train that just wrecks everyone on the ice.

He could become a big net front presence and garbage goal scorer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not sure, but if someone can't switch to RW we are going to have to make some moves for RWs. Even if Zacha played center and moved Rico to wing it would be LW as well.

We need some of this depth because Camm will get hurt again at some point, and we have to eventually replace him as he ages.

Lappin at RW. He'll be 24, has adequate size, sounds like a good shot.

with he and DSP you have unproven guys, but they are 2 guys who, if you are going young(ie not going all in) could easily pencil in on the mid6 RW spots.

But I'd like to see us spend some $$$ on a RW, let those guys battle for the 3rd line RW.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lappin at RW. He'll be 24, has adequate size, sounds like a good shot.

with he and DSP you have unproven guys, but they are 2 guys who, if you are going young(ie not going all in) could easily pencil in on the mid6 RW spots.

But I'd like to see us spend some $$$ on a RW, let those guys battle for the 3rd line RW.

We do need one top 6 RW either via trade or free agency. I don't think we need to be making any moves at center or LW. We have enough kids and vets to battle for those spots. Speers is the only forward we have with seemingly good potential that plays RW, but he is further away.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Jacobs apparently is signed to a 3 year deal today too. Just got the alert on my phone.

Starts next season though, so he's only Albany bound.

EDIT Apparently I miss the giant thread staring at me about this already.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I have a feeling Wood makes the team out of camp next year. He's got the kind of motor and work ethic that coaches drool over, he's physically mature, and he's probably going to immediately be the fastest skater on the team.

JQ might be in the same boat, although his skating isn't as good as Wood's he's a more complete offensive player. They'd both be an immediate upgrade to our bottom-6.

Or maybe they start the year in Albany and finish on the big club like Boucher and Blandisi did this year.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
So the only guys left to be signed or go to UFA this June are Baddock and Chatham right?
I don't think either one gets a deal at this point.

Edit: Rehill too?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have a feeling Wood makes the team out of camp next year. He's got the kind of motor and work ethic that coaches drool over, he's physically mature, and he's probably going to immediately be the fastest skater on the team.

JQ might be in the same boat, although his skating isn't as good as Wood's he's a more complete offensive player. They'd both be an immediate upgrade to our bottom-6.

Or maybe they start the year in Albany and finish on the big club like Boucher and Blandisi did this year.

JQ is the more complete overall player it seems. Everything about him says he just does everything right. That is something coaches really drool over.

I do agree Wood could force himself in, but who knows. It is a ton of competition.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So the only guys left to be signed or go to UFA this June are Baddock and Chatham right?
I don't think either one gets a deal at this point.

Edit: Rehill too?

Baddock and Chatham are whatever. But Rehill had a good year this season. I'd be a little dissapointed if he was just able to go elsewhere.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I completely forgot about Pietila too.

Good Lord, we're going to have a ton of new faces next year.

It's going to be so refreshing. The youth movement that's going to take place will be glorious, and such a far cry from the lineup we had not too long ago. We went from the oldest team in the league to maybe one of the younger ones, depending on how many of the kids actually make it. I think a good number of them have the skill to be here it's just a matter of if they're comfortable running with so many youngsters.

God tomorrow is going to be the biggest tease if all Zacha, Wood, and Santini make their debuts

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's going to be so refreshing. The youth movement that's going to take place will be glorious, and such a far cry from the lineup we had not too long ago. We went from the oldest team in the league to maybe one of the younger ones, depending on how many of the kids actually make it. I think a good number of them have the skill to be here it's just a matter of if they're comfortable running with so many youngsters.

God tomorrow is going to be the biggest tease if all Zacha, Wood, and Santini make their debuts
Got to be odd to be Hynes tonight. Under most circumstances there's no way a coach would want to play three rookies all in their first game before any one of them has had so much as a practice.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I completely forgot about Pietila too.

Good Lord, we're going to have a ton of new faces next year.

Well, I wouldn't jump the gun on more than maybe one or two of these kids actually making the team next year. Santini and Wood could probably benefit from a year down in Albany. Zacha probably has the best chance based on his talent level. And Pietila I think could earn a spot on the fourth line.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We might start the year with only 1-2 of the kids up, but from management's perspective, can the bottom six get any worse than it was this year? Blandisi and Boucher outplayed half the forward corps. quite easily. And truthfully, so did Pietila.

I would not be surprised to see Wood, JQ and Zacha all stick. And we haven't even gotten to Lorito, Lappin or any of those guys.

Shero does need to sign a big time forward, and obviously these kids are unproven. But it's not so farfetched that we become one of the youngest teams in the league at the end of next season.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We might start the year with only 1-2 of the kids up, but from management's perspective, can the bottom six get any worse than it was this year? Blandisi and Boucher outplayed half the forward corps. quite easily. And truthfully, so did Pietila.

I would not be surprised to see Wood, JQ and Zacha all stick. And we haven't even gotten to Lorito, Lappin or any of those guys.

Shero does need to sign a big time forward, and obviously these kids are unproven. But it's not so farfetched that we become one of the youngest teams in the league at the end of next season.

If I had to guess. Shero's plan will be to either sign or trade for a top 6 RW. We have absolutely no one in the system that can slot into Stemp's spot not now or in the future (long shot on Speers but he isn't even close). So its a hard push for Okposo or another KPalm trade.

If he can't get either he will sign another plug like Stemp and Tlusty were. He won't break his age/contract limit here.

Camm, Rico, Palms are pretty much set in their respective spots in the top 6. Zajac as the other center is set in stone as well. No one is taking their jobs without playing well out of their minds or an early injury happens.

You have a ton of guys battling for 2LW, 3LW, 4LW, 3C, 3RW (assuming we sign a 2RW), 4C, and 4RW. Group is going to include Boosh, Blender, Kalinin, DSP, JJ, Zacha, JQ, Wood, potentially Lorito and Lappen, Pietla, and maybe Black and Coleman. O'Brien and O'Neil might get a shot too.

Shero is going to bring in another cheap bottom 6 signing or two like Kennedy and definitely a couple of PTOs to further add fire to the camp battles. Also there is the x-factor in Patty coming back which makes the battle for LW and potentially 3C even hotter.

Defense Lars and Greene are locked. Hynes might separate them, but both are playing every game. Schlemko most likely will be resigned.

You will have camp battles between Severson, Merrill, Moore, Hulk, Santini, Schlemko, Jacobs, and almost all of the AHL D. Hrabanka, Scarlett should get looks as well. I could see another PTO here, but I just don't see Shero making any kind of major signing on defense. Even with the potential of one or two bodies traded out in our quest for that top 6 RW that is still a lot of guys fighting for not so many spots. They might keep War around as competition, but I don't see him winning out over all these hungry kids. Severson and Merrill won't want to sit anymore, and Santini and Jacobs are going to come in hungry. Santini especially I can see gunning hard for a roster spot. That kid has snarl and he wants to play badly. Plus he has the goods.

We will have a back up battle between Wedge and Kinky. Maybe we bring in one more guy to do what Yann did but isn't as awful as Yann.

As for who goes. Outside of PTOs or one year contracts where we send someone to Albany. I don't see any of Ruutu, Tootoo, or Gio back. Gio has the best shot, but I could see this finally be the year they either start scratching him or send him to Albany. Tlusty and Kennedy might get PTOs at best if only because of the lack of RWs.

The fantasy off seasons in the other thread I think are off base. I don't see Shero going nuts outside of going hard for another RW. I don't see major D additions, and why he might call Stammer I don't think he offers crazy money there either. I see him drafting smart and either stock piling more picks, or sending some out again in that quest for a long term RW. I don't forsee any major signings for the bottom 6 either. I think he lets the kids battle that out with PTOs. He won't spend big money until he has to spend big money.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This is a lineup I wouldn't mind icing next year. I'm not expecting to make the playoffs next year yet, but a year to build on for the future.

Cammalleri, Zajac, Palmieri
Zacha/Trade, Henrique,UFA/Trade/Stempniak
Blandisi, UFA/Zacha, Boucher
Wood, Josefson, DSP

Kalinin, Kennedy, UFA, PTO, Farnham, anyone who can play

Greene, Larsson
UFA/Schlemko, Severson
Merrill?, Santini

Moore, Helgeson, etc.

Schneider
Wedgewood/Kinkaid

I'm really eyeing a few guys to trade for/sign as UFA's. For the 2nd line LW I'd push hard for Hoffman or Yakupov, 2nd line RW push hard to sign Okposo. If needed sign someone like Helm as the 3c. Would not be a bad lineup at all with lots of depth for when the inevitable injury occurs. Guys like Blandisi, Boucher, DSP, Wood could all slide up and down the lineup rather easily and still produce.

Edit: A guy like Wood may benefit from time in Albany, but he can be replaced by someone like Kalinin and not be an issue. I'm just really high on him so I would love to see him on the big club next year

Edit 2: Forgot about Stempniak

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is a lineup I wouldn't mind icing next year. I'm not expecting to make the playoffs next year yet, but a year to build on for the future.

Cammalleri, Zajac, Palmieri
Zacha/Trade, Henrique,UFA/Trade/Stempniak
Blandisi, UFA/Zacha, Boucher
Wood, Josefson, DSP

Kalinin, Kennedy, UFA, PTO, Farnham, anyone who can play

Greene, Larsson
UFA/Schlemko, Severson
Merrill?, Santini

Moore, Helgeson, etc.

Schneider
Wedgewood/Kinkaid

I'm really eyeing a few guys to trade for/sign as UFA's. For the 2nd line LW I'd push hard for Hoffman or Yakupov, 2nd line RW push hard to sign Okposo. If needed sign someone like Helm as the 3c. Would not be a bad lineup at all with lots of depth for when the inevitable injury occurs. Guys like Blandisi, Boucher, DSP, Wood could all slide up and down the lineup rather easily and still produce.

Edit: A guy like Wood may benefit from time in Albany, but he can be replaced by someone like Kalinin and not be an issue. I'm just really high on him so I would love to see him on the big club next year

Edit 2: Forgot about Stempniak

I don't believe Boosh has played a game at RW in his professional career. I don't see us trading for another LW. All the focus will be on the RW hole that Stemp left as it should. Camm will be healthy and both Boosh and Blender have shown they can handle that top 6 LW spot. Plus they will have guys like JQ and Zacha breathing down their necks at camp not to mention the potential of Patty going for one more shot.

You are on point with the D, but forgot that Jacobs will battle for a spot as well. Also I think Schlemko will be resigned.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I don't believe Boosh has played a game at RW in his professional career.

I honestly at that point just didn't know where to slot him in. Maybe put him on that LW and have Blandisi spend some more time in Albany. He may actually benefit a lot from that.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
my body knows when theres Devils news. I randomly woke up at 3am today, checked my phone, saw Ray Shero's Wild Ride :D

was too tired to discuss at the time of course ;)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I honestly at that point just didn't know where to slot him in. Maybe put him on that LW and have Blandisi spend some more time in Albany. He may actually benefit a lot from that.

I think it goes to who ever wins the spot in camp. We are going to have maybe 5 young and hungry LWs fighting for a spot and potentially an old vet in Patty. Blender isn't going to be handed a spot next year. Love his game, but he might start in Albany if he comes in with some of his skating issues still an issue.

A lot depends on how Zacha, Wood, and JQ look. All three can take Blender's LW and 3C spot.

I also don't see how JJ keeps his 3C spot next year. To much competition and he won't be able to keep up, which means Gio is pushed to 4RW or off the team.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I think it goes to who ever wins the spot in camp. We are going to have maybe 5 young and hungry LWs fighting for a spot and potentially an old vet in Patty. Blender isn't going to be handed a spot next year. Love his game, but he might start in Albany if he comes in with some of his skating issues still an issue.

A lot depends on how Zacha, Wood, and JQ look. All three can take Blender's LW and 3C spot.

Yeah maybe a UFA/Trade for the 2nd line LW isn't a good idea, I just love Hoffman. He'd probably be too pricey anyway and Boosh has looked amazing the past few games. I can definitely see Blandisi or Wood or both starting down in Albany and I don't think JQ will play much more than for the occasional injury call up, he would definitely benefit from a year down in the AHL.

The RW2 spot is tough though. I really want Okposo. I don't really know who Shero could snag in a trade, but I don't think another guy like Palms is available this summer.

Edit: And yeah JJ should be placed as the 4c and used on the PP. He isn't much more useful than that

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah maybe a UFA/Trade for the 2nd line LW isn't a good idea, I just love Hoffman. He'd probably be too pricey anyway and Boosh has looked amazing the past few games. I can definitely see Blandisi or Wood or both starting down in Albany and I don't think JQ will play much more than for the occasional injury call up, he would definitely benefit from a year down in the AHL.

The RW2 spot is tough though. I really want Okposo. I don't really know who Shero could snag in a trade, but I don't think another guy like Palms is available this summer.

Edit: And yeah JJ should be placed as the 4c and used on the PP. He isn't much more useful than that

If Tampa resigns Stamkos. We could make a play at Kucherov, price would be high but they might not be able to pay him. He is a RFA this year. Killorn is another possibility but I don't know if he ever played RW (listed as a C). Drouin will be expensive and plays on the left. Namestnikov is another but again I don't know if he can play RW (listed as a C)

If Stammer stays one of those three almost certainly has to go for cap reasons unless Yzerman pulls some wizardy and dumps other contracts.

Shero seemingly has a knack for pulling rabbits out of the hat via trade so I trust if there is a deal to be made. He will do it and it will be a win for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad