Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't mind the commentary crew so much, outside of the need for these constant out of town scoreboard updates.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Blandisi needs to get stronger in the offseason and improve defensively A LOT. He has been pretty bad for a while now.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Blandisi needs to get stronger in the offseason and improve defensively A LOT. He has been pretty bad for a while now.

I thought he looked pretty good. Made some great passes. He does need to improve defensively, but at least he has some creativity. It seems like all anyone else does is dump except for Palmieri.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I agree that he still needs work, but at the same time I don't want him to lose any of his creativity by focusing too much on defense.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I agree that he still needs work, but at the same time I don't want him to lose any of his creativity by focusing too much on defense.

Once this team adds depth if he plays the way he is now I don't see how he is not sent down or scratched. His game has a lot of flaws, his defensive game is Tedenby level bad.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I thought he looked pretty good. Made some great passes. He does need to improve defensively, but at least he has some creativity. It seems like all anyone else does is dump except for Palmieri.
I'm not talking just today, more in general. His play has been pretty poor. Don't think he will play much in the future unless he improves defensively especially for a coach like Hynes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once this team adds depth if he plays the way he is now I don't see how he is not sent down or scratched. His game has a lot of flaws, his defensive game is Tedenby level bad.

No it's not, not even close. Tedenby was one of the worst defensive forwards that have played on this team in the last decade. That's not including guys like Tootoo and Sestito, though he may have been even worse than them.

And besides that, Tedenby being bad at defense being the reason why he didn't make it in the NHL, is a complete misinterpretation people make.

Tedenby didn't bust and wash out of the NHL because he was bad at defense. Tedenby washed out of the NHL because he was supposed to be an offensive player and he was BAD at offense after his rookie year in the league. He was supposed to be an offensive player and he didn't produce enough offense, on top of providing nothing else useful to the game.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
No it's not, not even close. Tedenby was one of the worst defensive forwards that have played on this team in the last decade. That's not including guys like Tootoo and Sestito, though he may have been even worse than them.

And besides that, Tedenby being bad at defense being the reason why he didn't make it in the NHL, is a complete misinterpretation people make.

Tedenby didn't bust and wash out of the NHL because he was bad at defense. Tedenby washed out of the NHL because he was supposed to be an offensive player and he was BAD at offense after his rookie year in the league. He was supposed to be an offensive player and he didn't produce enough offense, on top of providing nothing else useful to the game.

Blandisi is the worst player I've seen defensively in a very long time. He is really bad, his positioning is very frequently off and it leads to a lot of opportunities for the other team on a nightly basis. He may be worse than Tedenby in that regard. Maybe not. But either way he is terrible and has better improve as soon as next season or he will be passed on the depth chart.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blandisi is the worst player I've seen defensively in a very long time. He is really bad, his positioning is very frequently off and it leads to a lot of opportunities for the other team on a nightly basis. He may be worse than Tedenby in that regard. Maybe not. But either way he is terrible and has better improve as soon as next season or he will be passed on the depth chart.

I think he'll be fine, as long as he's producing some offense. Unless he becomes Tedenby/Gelinas and doesn't produce offense and plays the brutal defensive game.

He hasn't scored many points lately, but he's playing with Kalinin and Sislo, I don't expect much there.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
I don't think this team as presently constructed has enough talent to worry about Blandisi being passed on the depth chart any time soon. There's no reason to think Blandisi's game won't improve with experience. It's not like he needs to become a Selke candidate. If it continues to be a problem just pair him with Zajac. Zajac can make anyone adequate defensively.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We have guys like Zacha, JQ, Wood all coming up who could take his spot. Cammalleri will be back next season thats 1 less LW spot for the others. It is also not as simple as Zajac making up for a guy being completely lost in his own zone who misses his coverage. When Zajac is down low how in the world is he going to cover one of the open point men that Blandisi continually leaves open? It is a legitimate concern that could hold him back and I could see him being in the minors at the start of next season. I don't see how he could possibly be a center at the NHL level unless he drastically improves his defensive game and adds a lot of strength.

I'm not all down on the kid, he has a lot of offensive tools but he isn't a surefire impact player. He could probably produce more if he plays with more skilled guys but he is going to have to be better defensively to get that chance for a prolonged period of time realistically.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Completely disagree with your entire Blandisi analysis. I think he's actually made some great plays defensively. He has saved goals using his speed on the backcheck multiple times. His production dropped off slightly, but that's growing pains. He's still one of the best possession players on the entire team and always makes stuff happen. In my opinion he's probably the best forward outside of the obvious guys (Henrique, Palmieri, and Zajac). We must be watching two different players.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Completely disagree with your entire Blandisi analysis. I think he's actually made some great plays defensively. He has saved goals using his speed on the backcheck multiple times. His production dropped off slightly, but that's growing pains. He's still one of the best possession players on the entire team and always makes stuff happen. In my opinion he's probably the best forward outside of the obvious guys (Henrique, Palmieri, and Zajac). We must be watching two different players.

Yes we must be. He is lost in the defensive zone IMO and is easily the worst on this team in that department.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yes we must be. He is lost in the defensive zone IMO and is easily the worst on this team in that department.

I don't think his positioning is awful. He gets lost at times, but he's a rookie with less than 40 games played. That will happen. Positioning is easily adjusted. The difference between Blandisi and a guy like Tedenby is that Tedenby was constantly muscled off the puck and made no effort to backcheck or contribute defensively. Blandisi is actually strong on the puck in his own zone, has saved multiple goals by using his speed on the backcheck, and often gets involved and helps down low defensively (likely a result of his experience at center in Albany). I really don't see an issue here. Sure, he needs to improve, but I don't see any red flags there.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't think his positioning is awful. He gets lost at times, but he's a rookie with less than 40 games played. That will happen. Positioning is easily adjusted. The difference between Blandisi and a guy like Tedenby is that Tedenby was constantly muscled off the puck and made no effort to backcheck or contribute defensively. Blandisi is actually strong on the puck in his own zone, has saved multiple goals by using his speed on the backcheck, and often gets involved and helps down low defensively (likely a result of his experience at center in Albany). I really don't see an issue here. Sure, he needs to improve, but I don't see any red flags there.

I'll give him the effort part of it, he certainly looks like he backchecks hard. But I don't agree that he is strong on the puck. He needs to add strength and I think that is pretty obvious. His awareness is poor in the defensive zone and maybe he can improve it, but it is not something to be overlooked. It can be a major hinderance to a player.

Group Chat Legend*

Merrill needs to be traded - I know I said it before but he has shown zero signs of life and it is unfair to a guy like Helgeson who has done far better and had actual compliments from the coaching staff.

Get him out of here. Idc what he goes for.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lol, Blandisi had two really STRONG games in a row where he was generating plays consistently and showing off some great passing and puck possession and now you decide to rip on him? The kid was our best forward tonight along with Palmieri. Hes a stud, cant wait to see him next season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Helgeson is a grenade handler that often gets trapped in his own end. Yeah, he can occasionally toss a guy around. So could Fraser, or Salvador, or Volchenkov. It doesn't mean they should be regulars in the lineup.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Merrill needs to be traded - I know I said it before but he has shown zero signs of life and it is unfair to a guy like Helgeson who has done far better and had actual compliments from the coaching staff.

Get him out of here. Idc what he goes for.
Remember when he was our future and we wouldn't take guys like Kucherov for him good times...
Good thing Lars stepped up

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Lol, Blandisi had two really STRONG games in a row where he was generating plays consistently and showing off some great passing and puck possession and now you decide to rip on him? The kid was our best forward tonight along with Palmieri. Hes a stud, cant wait to see him next season.

This.
The kid has great a very good offensive IQ . Creative and has skill.
Something we greatly lack up front .
He has shown flashes of very good vision and passing ability , looks like he is just a slight step off from breaking out . He will dangle around a defender and make a excellent move , then flub the shot or lose an edge... Always seems like he is just on the cusp of doing so,etching special , then either panics or over thinks the play and flubs it somehow. With more patience , experience , confidence , I think he becomes a legit top 6 nhl player IMO

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Helgeson is a grenade handler that often gets trapped in his own end. Yeah, he can occasionally toss a guy around. So could Fraser, or Salvador, or Volchenkov. It doesn't mean they should be regulars in the lineup.

Quoted for truth.

It's only been a few people the whole time that wanted Helgeson in over Merrill, but I figured tonight's game might have opened eyes. Even though it was the Blue Jackets and everybody sucks against them on our team.

Helgeson is a #7 NHL defensemen at best. Merrill is pretty meh I don't think he's better than bottom pairing caliber right now, if he'll ever be. But I'll take him and Moore over Helgeson if healthy.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Blender is one of the last forwards we should be ripping on.
Signed him as a reclamation project. Cost us no assets and to me is showing like he has the most pure offensive skill out of any of our current forwards. Doesn't have NaPalm like shot and release but he's still a kid , shows glimpses of very good vision and hands . Kid can dangle and find open ice .
Just needs to find his rhythm and comfidence . Put on a few pounds and get some more experience.

Is it just me or does Kimkaid seem like after every goal he is looking around at his defencemen giving the look like they messed up somehow and goal was on them and not him?

3rd goal he let in tonight was very weak and he looked around at his defencemen after .... It was a weak goal with no one to blame but him.

He overplays every shot and is not fundamentally sound at all. Takes him forever to move and get set.
Not fluid at all like most nhl starters. Relies solely on his size and reflexes , his fundamentals and mechanics are garbage

He is not a nhl quality goalie , borderline at best .
One out of every 3 games he plays decent but that is not good enough. Need to be more consistent in the nhl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad