Devils 2014/15 playoff discussion - time running out

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope that Lou doesn't feel that because the playoffs are possible, that there is a realistic chance we will make them. We really need a fresh start with some fresh blood into our system.

They'll probably have enough losses by the deadline to make it academic. Even going .500 over the next 22 games before the deadline wouldn't be enough to realistically stay in the hunt, but if they did somehow go 17-5 in those games then it could be another story.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Could've sworn we beat Boston in Boston fairly recently(not this season,though). :huh:

We did last year in the PP bonanza comeback. That's literally the only non meaningless Fan Appreciation win over them I can remember in the last several years.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
unpossible.jpg~original

Too old, too little, too late.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I don't see how it's possible that the Devils end up making the playoffs. They haven't strung together a group of wins in... forever I think.

I also don't see how Lou and co. don't also see that...

Last edited:

daves1

Nov 14, 2014
I think they're better than their current record but no - definitely not a playoff team. Too old and they can't score or hold onto leads.

If they have a good draft and shed some dead weight this offseason they'll be set for the future though.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The Devils' underlying possession numbers are pretty poor this season, which makes me less than optimistic about turning it around. This is not like 10-11, when our percentages were so horrifically bad that they needed to correct.

Anyway, management and the coaching staff will rightfully declare that they're still trying to make the playoffs. Doing otherwise can only hurt bargaining position in negotiations and fan interest.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
really just more interested to see how Larsson,Gelly,Severson and Merill progress

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lou and co don't habr to do anything now. If Lou plans to sell it will be closer to the deadline.

He will let the team try with new coaching.

Win 4 in a row by the end of the week and an eyebrow will get raised. Lose tomorrow and it's not even worth discussing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I want to see them beat a good team before I shelve my skepticism but if they ever get through this weekend with 'at least' three points in the back to back then it'll start to feel like 2011. I won't be a happy camper if they wet the bed Friday after I missed the last two home games though :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I want to see them beat a good team before I shelve my skepticism but if they ever get through this weekend with 'at least' three points in the back to back then it'll start to feel like 2011. I won't be a happy camper if they wet the bed Friday after I missed the last two home games though :laugh:

Why its still Defcon 2 :laugh:. This thing can still get nuked quickly.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Eddy, you really are just waiting patiently to drop those bombs, aren't you? :sarcasm:

Fair is fair. They didn't lose to buffalo so I didn't go Defcon 1 tonight.

In all honesty even if they win the next two and go on a Lemaire run they still most likely miss.

BUT since it could create some fun for some people it might be worth holding off for a little bit and maybe karma pays us another gift for gutting it out (though I still think Columbus might get the good karma lotto win)

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
We were horrible a the season before our run to the finals. Then JMac got fired, Lemaire came in and I think this team went 22-2-2 or something absolutely ridiculous. While, I can't see this team pulling that off, that was one of the greatest hockey I've ever seen. I hope we don't tank, this team will try for the playoffs till the end.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
2-0 with Fraser lol...but yeah I'd rather see Harrold and would like to trust the new staff not to overuse him as much since we've already seen a bit of a change in the way they use players and the way Pete did.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The worse thing that can happen is that the organization starts believing the team can make the playoffs. Knowing Lou, if it thinks there is any chance in hell, he'll sell is soul by being a buyer, not a seller at the deadline. My worse nightmare may come true. I have no faith that Lou will do the smart thing and sell.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The worse thing that can happen is that the organization starts believing the team can make the playoffs. Knowing Lou, if it thinks there is any chance in hell, he'll sell is soul by being a buyer, not a seller at the deadline. My worse nightmare may come true. I have no faith that Lou will do the smart thing and sell.

Not sure what is leading some to believe this because we were in pretty similar shape at the 42/halfway mark of 2011 (11-29-2) and even if we were to go on some miracle run again this time around losing a game or two out of the next 25, the chances of making the playoffs are essentially zilch. We didn't make it then and don't have much of a chance now despite 4 more wins now than we had then. We also had a far better roster of guys that weren't older, slower, and inconsistent as we have now.

Lou didn't buy that year, granted we didn't have much to move in the first place that would attract much value.

You always try to improve where you can and if there is any "buying" to be done it will be for the future by moving some of the several guys of value we have currently on the roster that are not in our longer term plans, for things such as picks or a player or two that will be anticipated on being part of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad