Devils 2014/15 playoff discussion - time running out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
At the halfway point: The Devils find themselves about 10 points out of a wildcard spot with 5 teams between them and a spot - all of which have games in hand on NJ. They're currently trending towards a 70 point season.

TARGET:I'm using 92 points as the target for points needed to possibly make the playoffs.

Remaining Schedule Analysis

Of the 41 games remaining, only 28 are against teams that have a .500 or better record at this time including 2 games each against top teams like Anaheim, Montreal, Nashville, Pittsburgh and LA. To hit 92 points (in a pure win/loss fashion), the Devils will have to go 28-12-1 in total.

Even if they were to win all 13 games against teams under .500, they would still have to win 18 out of 28 against those over .500.

This is not a pretty picture at all. Having to win approximately 60% of their games, for a team that have struggled at or below .500 will be a monumental task. That is the reality of what's in front of NJ.

Leading up to the All Star Break, there are 6 games and NJ probably has to win at east 4 of them. Otherwise, Lou should be using the break to plan out his strategy for how he can best manage the team's assets for future.

Home - Buffalo
Away - Boston
Home - Isles
Away - LA
Away - Anaheim
Away - San Jose

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
An eternal optimist are you! There needs to be more people like you on here.

Unfortunately, the realist in me says this team isn't going anywhere.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
The worst thing that can happen to this franchise is think they have a shot at the playoffs after a couple meaningless wins. Then lou won't trade anyone for picks and our rebuilding will take a hit. We need to win 3 out of every 4 games. No chance. Don't try.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah, I've pretty much resigned myself to another season without the playoffs. It stinks, but I think we're too far behind in points to make up the ground with the offensively challenged squad that we have.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if the Devils make the playoffs I will personally pay for every HF Devil to make a pilgrimage to Anchorage, to worship at the birthplace of Scott Gomez

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They'll need about 95 points to have a chance at the playoffs...

So 60 points in their next 41 games, that would be record pace...25 to 30 wins in 41 games and that may still miss.

It's time for a full blown rebuild. The quicker Jagr, Zidlicky and the rest are gone the quicker we can move forward.

Much more interested in trades and the draft than the rest of this season.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
not so fast. you have to cover your own alcohol expenses

I knew there had to be fine print somewhere, because nothing is ever really free...

Back on topic, of the games before the All-Star break, the only game I can really see us winning is against Buffalo. Our best hope for points is against fellow cellar-dwellers.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Playoffs are not attainable in 2015.

This season is all about acquiring assets in draft picks and prospects and most importanly about giving our younger core players the right amount of ice time to develop them properly so they are all ready for the 2015-2016 season.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I think about 98% of fans already realize that the playoffs are not happening this year but yet we continue to see articles about how the team, and Lou, still think the playoffs are possible if we get on a run and start winning some games.

I wanted this post to show just what kind of run was needed and figured that realistically, by the all star break, all talk of the playoffs will die down and Uncle Lou can get to work in making moves. By then, it will be about 5 weeks or so until the trade deadline....

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
They'll need about 95 points to have a chance at the playoffs...

So 60 points in their next 41 games, that would be record pace...25 to 30 wins in 41 games and that may still miss.

It's time for a full blown rebuild. The quicker Jagr, Zidlicky and the rest are gone the quicker we can move forward.

Much more interested in trades and the draft than the rest of this season.

Agreed. We can't continue on this path with
half the team being young and inexperienced and the other half being old with to much experience.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
I can't afford the playoff tix anyways this year,,rather see zid,jagr and a few other seniors traded, play some kids,an look to 15/16

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
You always play to win, but you look forward to the future. This means no matter what the circumstances the Devils have to sell at the deadline.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I hope that Lou doesn't feel that because the playoffs are possible, that there is a realistic chance we will make them. We really need a fresh start with some fresh blood into our system.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Although I will be pulling for a win every night,because I don't believe in tanking. Lou waited far too long to allow that to happen. Hey you never know.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Although I will be pulling for a win every night,because I don't believe in tanking. Lou waited far too long to allow that to happen. Hey you never know.

How come waited too long? Should we have tanked after cup run? Forfeit 1st rounder when we were wnd best team in the league? You're **** out of luck when zach goes for $$ and his buddy Suter, Kovy decides to quit (thanks to lockout)and Clarktard is offered ridiculous $$$ by Toront (should we have matched that?). Now it is time fir rebuild.Perhaps last season, wouldve been a bold move, but definitely now. This team will be "pushing for playoffs" the entire season, but what kind of. Aroster lou gives our tandem is the question.

(sorry bout typos, typing on phone)

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
How come waited too long? Should we have tanked after cup run? Forfeit 1st rounder when we were wnd best team in the league? You're **** out of luck when zach goes for $$ and his buddy Suter, Kovy decides to quit (thanks to lockout)and Clarktard is offered ridiculous $$$ by Toront (should we have matched that?). Now it is time fir rebuild.Perhaps last season, wouldve been a bold move, but definitely now. This team will be "pushing for playoffs" the entire season, but what kind of. Aroster lou gives our tandem is the question.

(sorry bout typos, typing on phone)

Did he say 2011-2012 was the season we should have selled Zach. I don't care, we were 2 games away from the Cup. That was the right move holding on to him. The problem was not signing him for longer the year before. Anyways we should have traded the next two years with Clarkson and Jagr being the hot commodities. Throw in anyone else that would have brought some value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad