Devils 1st pick poll

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I am skeptical of another soft & slight Swede forward and moreso of our Euro scouts.
Maybe Lindhold will be the guy that breaks the trend, but it may be time for Lou Conte to go with an American or Canadian with our first pick.

Lindholm is on a different level than Josefson or Tedenby ever were.

Lindholm had a better draft season than Nicklas Backstrom, points wise at least. He also isn't soft.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Lindholm is on a different level than Josefson or Tedenby ever were.

Lindholm had a better draft season than Nicklas Backstrom, points wise at least. He also isn't soft.

Backstrom, Sedin, even Naslund! I hate to bring it up because I know it's wishful thinking and mostly baseless hope, but he's been called the next Peter Forsberg.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I really think we need to try to move up. I'd be very happy with any of MacKinnon, Drouin, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin, any Barkov, but I think there's a good chance that they (and Seth Jones) go 1-7. After that my enthusiasm drops.

Either that or move down and try to add another 2nd rounder. I wouldn't mind trading down and nabbing Zykov for instance.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I really think we need to try to move up. I'd be very happy with any of MacKinnon, Drouin, Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin, any Barkov, but I think there's a good chance that they (and Seth Jones) go 1-7. After that my enthusiasm drops.

Either that or move down and try to add another 2nd rounder.

I promise I'm not trying to pick on you, but any of those forwards you mentioned might be some of the most promising forward prospects of the past 5 years. Any team in the league would be happy to have one of those guys.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I promise I'm not trying to pick on you, but any of those forwards you mentioned might be some of the most promising forward prospects of the past 5 years. Any team in the league would be happy to have one of those guys.
I entirely agree, which is why I think we need to try to move up to get one of them. There's a clear gap between those guys and the next tier down. Even just moving up to 7th - say, for the 9th and one of our defenseman prospects, since we have a ton of them and Edmonton's weakness is defense - would be worth doing in my book.

If we can't move up to nab one of them, then I think we should move down - because I don't really see much distinction between the Shinkaruk, Domi, Horvat, Rychel, and Zykovs of the draft.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Backstrom, Sedin, even Naslund! I hate to bring it up because I know it's wishful thinking and mostly baseless hope, but he's been called the next Peter Forsberg.

True that.

I did just notice that Backstrom actually led his team in scoring in his draft year though, which is pretty damn impressive.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Either that or move down and try to add another 2nd rounder. I wouldn't mind trading down and nabbing Zykov for instance.

Domi and Shinkaruk are on my list of acceptable picks too. But I believe at least one of the guys you listed will drop, because I think someone will take a defenceman before our pick.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
im not really high on shinkaruk for some reason. idk why considering I haven't seen him play

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
From what I have seen of Lindholm, I don't see Forsberg, Zetterberg, Sundin, Naslund, Sedins or Backstrom.

How much have you seen of Lindholm? How much of those plays did you see at the same age? Probably not much.

Neither have I really. That's why, short of being a full time scout, the best judge of a 17-18 year old is to see how his league and team adjusted statistics compare to other players.

Last edited:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I voted Lindholm out of the guys in this poll. Id say followed by nichushkin and monahan then a pretty big drop off to the remainder

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't see Shinkaruk becoming the player a lot of people think he will be.

I see him as a Michael Ryder type. 50-60 point dime-a-dozen 2nd liner with no special skills, just a pure points guy. I don't see him as a top line/franchise guy.

The more I read about the draft, the more I'd prefer Domi over Shinkaruk.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't see Shinkaruk becoming the player a lot of people think he will be.

I see him as a Michael Ryder type. 50-60 point dime-a-dozen 2nd liner with no special skills, just a pure points guy. I don't see him as a top line/franchise guy.

The more I read about the draft, the more I'd prefer Domi over Shinkaruk.

I may agree that Domi is who we should take if both are available.
Due to the fact that he is stronger and plays with more of an edge, with both players having above average skills.
But, have you seen Shink play enough for you to come to that conculsion?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I may agree that Domi is who we should take if both are available.
Due to the fact that he is stronger and plays with more of an edge, with both players having above average skills.
But, have you seen Shink play enough for you to come to that conculsion?

I just don't see any....I don't know, "oomph" in his game.

He's skilled, he's quick, he's got a great shot. But he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that can dominate the game at the pro level.

I know this sounds vague and non-specific as hell, and I can't really place it myself. I'm not trying to knock him, I'm sure he'll have a worthy career, but he just doesn't strike me as the guy you build your team around. He'd be a fantastic supplemental piece to add. Admittedly I haven't watch THAT much of him play, but he strikes me as a point compiler and nothing else.

Last edited:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
There is a decent chance we take Horvat, and only 1 of us voted for him so far.

im warming up to the idea of horvat as I said in the other thread. wonder if the devils could trade down and still snag him a few picks later. might not get there though so I assume if they like him they stay at 9 and take him unless someone higher slips.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
why is there a decent chance of Horvat? i like him alot but I have him 14-18 region. even if the top 8 is Jones + the best 7 forwards, we still get Max Domi. plus i still think someone above us will take a D with Risto or Nurse (maybe both). dont think we need to settle for Horvat unless Lou wants to trade down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad