Devils 1st pick poll

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Shinkaruk will be the BPA available to us at 9. We dont need another defenseman so we have to go with Shinkaruk. I would however take Nichuskin and Monahan over him if either were still available.

B A T M A N

Last year: Matteau
This year: Domi
Next year: Does Adam Graves have a 17 year old son?
Next year we are forced to surrender our first round pick due to the Kovalchuk punishment. I mean, Lou could surrender it this year, but that would be the stupidest thing since not giving up last year's pick.

...so, I guess in a stupid way, it could happen!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I just voted Shinkaruk though I would be happy with a few of the other players listed.
I think he is going to be a special player.

I would also not mind trading down and try to get either (2) first round picks from Columbus, or a later 1st rounder and another 2nd rounder.

I'd love to snag Morrissey somehow and also a forward like Zykov, Hartman or Rychel further down if we do trade down.

I think Morrissey is going to be a steal for whoever drafts him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why would anyone not want Domi? He's production last season was better than Monahan's. He's a Parise clone.

Monahan was on a bad team, so comparing points isn't completely fair to him.

It's not the best comparison, but in 2007 there was a highly rated London center who put up 118 points in 53 games while there was an Ottawa 67s center who didn't quite meet expectations but still had 78 points in 54 games. In a vacuum, I think more folks would take Logan Couture over Sam Gagner today. Although nobody would have said that on Draft Day 2007.

Gagner had Patrick Kane and Sergei Kostitsyn on his line, so that helped with his point production. Couture entered the year as a possible top 5 prospect but had some injuries. I vaguely recall Gare Joyce's book mentioning that Couture might have played through a concussion when he shouldn't have, but I might be mixing that up with another story about Alyn McCauley who was another former 67.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Nichushkin. Character can be taught by the people around you, and it comes with age.

Pure skill? Real hard to learn that. Sign this kid up.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Monahan was on a bad team, so comparing points isn't completely fair to him.

It's not the best comparison, but in 2007 there was a highly rated London center who put up 118 points in 53 games while there was an Ottawa 67s center who didn't quite meet expectations but still had 78 points in 54 games. In a vacuum, I think more folks would take Logan Couture over Sam Gagner today. Although nobody would have said that on Draft Day 2007.

Gagner had Patrick Kane and Sergei Kostitsyn on his line, so that helped with his point production. Couture entered the year as a possible top 5 prospect but had some injuries. I vaguely recall Gare Joyce's book mentioning that Couture might have played through a concussion when he shouldn't have, but I might be mixing that up with another story about Alyn McCauley who was another former 67.

Agreed, Monahan played on a crap team. However, Monahan also benefits from an extra year of experience in the OHL.

Additionally, Domi didn't have anyone nearly the caliber of Kane or Kostitsyn supporting him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How crazy will our board light up if Lou Conte goes "off the board" with the 9th pick, with Nichushkin, Lindholm or Shinkaruk still available.

With the 9th selection in the 2013 NHL draft, the New Jersey Devils select Defenseman from Waterloo of the USHL, Ian Mccoshen.

This place would explode.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
How crazy will our board light up if Lou Conte goes "off the board" with the 9th pick, with Nichushkin, Lindholm or Shinkaruk still available.

With the 9th selection in the 2013 NHL draft, the New Jersey Devils select Defenseman from Waterloo of the USHL, Ian Mccoshen.

This place would explode.

then Ian Mccoshen becomes a first ballot HHOFer and I necro the heck out of this thread in 20 years :laugh:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Out of all those, my vote goes to Lindholm. He's got the best combo of high-upside and low-risk that the Devils really need. I'd put him slightly ahead of Nichushkin, then Monahan 3rd.

Why would anyone not want Domi? He's production last season was better than Monahan's. He's a Parise clone.

I don't really see a Parise clone. He's WAY more skilled than Parise was at the same age. He makes his chances with unbelievable hands and vision whereas Parise was all about hockey sense and hard work. Parise was also already a dedicated two-way player when he was drafted. I think you can find a lot of similarities between the two, like grit, excellent skating, great lower-body strength, but I don't really see them playing similar styles in the NHL.

apice3*

I've never seen Domi play but I've read a lot about him. It sounds like the only reason people compare the two is because they have similar body frames.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I've never seen Domi play but I've read a lot about him. It sounds like the only reason people compare the two is because they have similar body frames.

I think there's a little more to it than that, but honestly, I just think comparing the two is a bit of an affront to Domi's offensive upside. The plays this kid can make would leave Parise feeling jealous.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I see Domi becoming Marchand with 1st line skill. Thats a pretty damn good combo and thats why I want him(If lindholm/the russian and the other obvious guys are picked)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
monahan if we can get him in my pick. i might take nichushkin over him but i doubt nichushkin falls that far

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I see Domi becoming Marchand with 1st line skill. Thats a pretty damn good combo and thats why I want him(If lindholm/the russian and the other obvious guys are picked)

I am skeptical of another soft & slight Swede forward and moreso of our Euro scouts.
Maybe Lindhold will be the guy that breaks the trend, but it may be time for Lou Conte to go with an American or Canadian with our first pick.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I am skeptical of another soft & slight Swede forward and moreso of our Euro scouts.
Maybe Lindhold will be the guy that breaks the trend, but it may be time for Lou Conte to go with an American or Canadian with our first pick.

You don't need a scouting department to tell you to take one of the consensus best forwards in the draft. I can go find you a team that's been burned by recently drafting Canadians in the first round, and I bet that wouldn't change your drafting mindset. Our lack of success with Swedish forwards (nevermind that Josefson is still promising and Bergfors was leading rookies in scoring and got us Kovalchuk) in the past doesn't mean that Swedish forwards from this season are more likely to bust.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

Ya I have seen him play and I don't think he is like Parise very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad