Confirmed with Link: Development Camp Roster released - Camp July 12-16th

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
McLeod looked like a man among children out there. I want to see how he compares with NHL regulars. Lappin played hard. Santini and White stood out to me on the back end. Pretty much everyone had average showings with flashes of excellence though, so good showing

Edit: replaced "unimpressive" with "average"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's not the way to look at it. The bigger picture is we want all the prospects to succeed, because those that Shero decides not to keep, he'll use in trades.

I'm just being realistic here. And if one of your top 3 prospects is Alexander Urbom, you usually don't get anything for him in a trade, because he's not very good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's the next camp? And will McLeod etc be there?

I think there's a rookie camp for like 3 days before the actual training camp starts, or maybe it's even a week earlier.

Rookies and AHL players used to report like 3 days earlier, but last year under Shero they did something different. They had the rookies and prospects report earlier and they had that 3 day tournament up in Buffalo, where they played the Sabres prospects one game and the Bruins prospects the other game. I'm pretty sure Zacha and a bunch of other guys were there. Pretty much all the prospects that were not in college.

So if they're doing something like that again this year, I'm sure McLeod will be there.

And Zacha if he's over his concussion symptoms too.:sarcasm:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think there's a rookie camp for like 3 days before the actual training camp starts, or maybe it's even a week earlier.

Rookies and AHL players used to report like 3 days earlier, but last year under Shero they did something different. They had the rookies and prospects report earlier and they had that 3 day tournament up in Buffalo, where they played the Sabres prospects one game and the Bruins prospects the other game. I'm pretty sure Zacha and a bunch of other guys were there. Pretty much all the prospects that were not in college.

So if they're doing something like that again this year, I'm sure McLeod will be there.

And Zacha if he's over his concussion symptoms too.:sarcasm:
That concussed hip :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Finally watched the scrimmage. Without getting too excited over a meaningless game:

Regarding McLeod and Bastian - whoa. Size and speed and don't forget: confidence. These guys want to take control. The thought of that Zacha-McLeod-Bastian line...

White, Jacobs and Santini - all progressed. Not trying to do to much, taking what's there. Exactly what you'd hope to see.

Most of all, I think more highly of the Speers pick with each new bit of footage. His IQ is up there with any of our other prospects. I hope we get to see him play with some natural snipers in the future.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Finally watched the scrimmage. Without getting too excited over a meaningless game:

Regarding McLeod and Bastian - whoa. Size and speed and don't forget: confidence. These guys want to take control. The thought of that Zacha-McLeod-Bastian line...

White, Jacobs and Santini - all progressed. Not trying to do to much, taking what's there. Exactly what you'd hope to see.

Most of all, I think more highly of the S peers pick with each new bit of fo. otage. His IQ is up there with any of our other prospects. I hope we get to see him play with some natural snipers in the future.

Link for the scrimmage?
Thnx

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Most of all, I think more highly of the Speers pick with each new bit of footage. His IQ is up there with any of our other prospects. I hope we get to see him play with some natural snipers in the future.

Expectations definitely need to be tempered. These scrimmages happen for all 30 teams and rarely do people come away saying "geez our prospects stink".

Players SHOULD excel in these types of situations. I went to last years scrimmage and came away thinking that Alexandre Goulet and Ryan Rehill were two of the better players that day....now neither guy is even in the organization.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Expectations definitely need to be tempered. These scrimmages happen for all 30 teams and rarely do people come away saying "geez our prospects stink".

Players SHOULD excel in these types of situations. I went to last years scrimmage and came away thinking that Alexandre Goulet and Ryan Rehill were two of the better players that day....now neither guy is even in the organization.

Rehill then went on to have a pretty impressive season for his junior squad. I don't like it much at all that he was not signed.

Yeah, don't put too much weight on prospect camp, but it is July, and this is all the hockey we got. So no harm in getting excited over our recent draft picks.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Rehill then went on to have a pretty impressive season for his junior squad. I don't like it much at all that he was not signed.

Yeah, don't put too much weight on prospect camp, but it is July, and this is all the hockey we got. So no harm in getting excited over our recent draft picks.

You only get 50 contracts. Not signing Rehill and Chatham is a good sign for this organization that they're not willing to throw good money after bad. Sure there's only 43 contracts in the organization now, but the Devils drafted 4 guys out of junior and 3 out of Europe in this past draft - those guys will need contracts in the next 2 years if they're to be Devils players.

(I know Baddock was given a contract, but there's still call for fighting in the AHL)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You only get 50 contracts. Not signing Rehill and Chatham is a good sign for this organization that they're not willing to throw good money after bad. Sure there's only 43 contracts in the organization now, but the Devils drafted 4 guys out of junior and 3 out of Europe in this past draft - those guys will need contracts in the next 2 years if they're to be Devils players.

(I know Baddock was given a contract, but there's still call for fighting in the AHL)

I don't think signing Rehill would have been doubling down on a bad pick. #1 he was a later rounder, #2 he was coming off a very solid looking season.

Chatham, yes, I agree, but Rehill was a different case imo.

I also agree that the # of picks in this years draft could have played into the decision, but end of the day it's about whether Rehill had NHL potential, and back to the op of this tangent of thought, if he looked good in last years prospect camp, then that should count for at least a little something.

At time of no signing I thought rhd depth could have played into it, and of coarse Lars was still in the mix at that time wonder if the decision would have been different if the Hall trade had happened before the end of that signing window.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think signing Rehill would have been doubling down on a bad pick. #1 he was a later rounder, #2 he was coming off a very solid looking season.

Chatham, yes, I agree, but Rehill was a different case imo.

I also agree that the # of picks in this years draft could have played into the decision, but end of the day it's about whether Rehill had NHL potential, and back to the op of this tangent of thought, if he looked good in last years prospect camp, then that should count for at least a little something.

At time of no signing I thought rhd depth could have played into it, and of coarse Lars was still in the mix at that time wonder if the decision would have been different if the Hall trade had happened before the end of that signing window.

I never said that Rehill is a bad pick. On the contrary, I don't think it was - that's when you take physical D men with some upside is the 5th round.

There's absolutely no way that an NHL trade should play into whether you sign the last guy on your depth chart. Someone that far down can start out in the ECHL and work his way up to the AHL when injuries happen.

The questions an NHL team should be asking with its draft picks is A: does this player have a chance of making the NHL? and B: can I get a better player from the UDFA market instead of this guy? If the answer is no to 1 and yes to 2, they should not sign that player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I never said that Rehill is a bad pick. On the contrary, I don't think it was - that's when you take physical D men with some upside is the 5th round.

There's absolutely no way that an NHL trade should play into whether you sign the last guy on your depth chart. Someone that far down can start out in the ECHL and work his way up to the AHL when injuries happen.

The questions an NHL team should be asking with its draft picks is A: does this player have a chance of making the NHL? and B: can I get a better player from the UDFA market instead of this guy? If the answer is no to 1 and yes to 2, they should not sign that player.

As to why I could see such a trade playing into such a decision.

It's been noted that Shero favors d-men who can skate, who can push play, and maybe that's the end of the discussion. Rehill, is big and solid but skating is not a strength. And maybe it was not Larsson, a big solid d-man not known for skating, alone that played into the decision, but instead the # of big rhd that fit that bill. And granted Santini is supposed to be a pretty good skater, though doesn't look to bring much offense, and Jacob's has a similar scouting report.

So we were pretty stacked with young rhd who all go against what Shero prefers, or at least don't fit the bill.

Would the subtraction of one those d-man from the equation changed Shero's mind? Maybe not, maybe they didn't see the potential in Rehill, maybe that's the end of the story.

But imo Rehill did show some promise at least if we are to put weight into his play at camp last year, or his #'s and media reports from his most recent year in jr's, and thus I wonder if anything else played into it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
As to why I could see such a trade playing into such a decision.

It's been noted that Shero favors d-men who can skate, who can push play, and maybe that's the end of the discussion. Rehill, is big and solid but skating is not a strength. And maybe it was not Larsson, a big solid d-man not known for skating, alone that played into the decision, but instead the # of big rhd that fit that bill. And granted Santini is supposed to be a pretty good skater, though doesn't look to bring much offense, and Jacob's has a similar scouting report.

So we were pretty stacked with young rhd who all go against what Shero prefers, or at least don't fit the bill.

Would the subtraction of one those d-man from the equation changed Shero's mind? Maybe not, maybe they didn't see the potential in Rehill, maybe that's the end of the story.

But imo Rehill did show some promise at least if we are to put weight into his play at camp last year, or his #'s and media reports from his most recent year in jr's, and thus I wonder if anything else played into it.

I put little stock in how someone performs at dev camp. As someone noted, Alex Goulet looked great at dev camp, but the Devils passed on offering him a contract. He went back to junior, had a totally unremarkable season, and is likely headed for the ECHL if he wants to continue in North American pro hockey.

When you drill down into Rehill's numbers, you see that he had 7 primary points this season at ES. That's not very good. Since there's almost no way he plays the PP in pro hockey, that means his production, such as it is, isn't going to continue to the next level. You can find better players as UDFAs.

I'll be curious where he ends up - I imagine he will start out in the ECHL.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rehill put up 10 goals and 39 points in 63 regular season games then, 2 and 5 in 7 playoff games.

Those are pretty impressive #'s for a d-man, especially one known as a defense first player. You may want to parse them down to the point where they no longer look as impressive, while also disregarding his pp production, but his overall offensive production was good.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Rehill put up 10 goals and 39 points in 63 regular season games then, 2 and 5 in 7 playoff games.

Those are pretty impressive #'s for a d-man, especially one known as a defense first player. You may want to parse them down to the point where they no longer look as impressive, while also disregarding his pp production, but his overall offensive production was good.

well he's also 6'-3", 218 lb, and 20 yrs old. i know no ones beat up about it, but i felt that him and baddock were pretty interchangeable, role wise.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Rehill was 29th in the WHL in total points among defensemen. Multiply that by 3 and you've got 85 or so defensemen across Canadian junior who produced more points than him. That's not that good. It's good that he got himself on the power play and produced decently on there - that's always a good sign, D who can't make the power play on their Y+2 junior season are almost always not NHL-caliber players - but he didn't produce very much away from the power play, either.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rehill was 29th in the WHL in total points among defensemen. Multiply that by 3 and you've got 85 or so defensemen across Canadian junior who produced more points than him. That's not that good. It's good that he got himself on the power play and produced decently on there - that's always a good sign, D who can't make the power play on their Y+2 junior season are almost always not NHL-caliber players - but he didn't produce very much away from the power play, either.

And if points were the only criteria for d-man this might carry more weight, except we have numerous counter examples of d-men who didn't/don't produce a lot who were still considered good prospects or became good nhl d-men.

Which goes back to my point, we just signed 2 prospects who meet that criteria of solid defensive d-men who do not put up points. Larsson, as a pro anyway, also fit that mold. All are righties.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And if points were the only criteria for d-man this might carry more weight, except we have numerous counter examples of d-men who didn't/don't produce a lot who were still considered good prospects or became good nhl d-men.

We have plenty of examples of defensemen who didn't produce a lot who were still considered good prospects. How many of them made it? Yeah, you've got your Charas, sure. You've also got a lot of guys who could not handle the NHL.

Which goes back to my point, we just signed 2 prospects who meet that criteria of solid defensive d-men who do not put up points. Larsson, as a pro anyway, also fit that mold. All are righties.

Larsson had 17 points in 50 games in a men's league when he was 17 years old. He has 40 points in 67 career AHL games. Please don't compare Rehill's junior career (or Santini or Jacobs) to these numbers. But this is precisely why I am skeptical of both Jacobs and Santini, they have heretofore not produced much offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad