Confirmed with Link: Development Camp Roster released - Camp July 12-16th

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888995

Cm23EtjWYAAnOzd.jpg

Austin Cangelosi? lol

I also notice Luke McInnis is an invitee. Surprised he wasn't drafted.

Per Devils Insiders on Twitter: Chris Shero is Ray's son. Gavin Bayreuther is Ben Lovejoy's cousin

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I don't expect much from the invites, maybe AHL signing. Also, I feel the list was longer last year... maybe not. No Kerfoot or Pietila this year.

Our development camp should be the New Jersey Devils/ Boston College Eagles / Mississauga Trout Development camp :P

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Glad to see someone from the Titans youth program get invited. Hopefully Berzolla can impress some people. I'd like to see the Devils invite someone from the Titans NAHL team next summer.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I don't expect much from the invites, maybe AHL signing. Also, I feel the list was longer last year... maybe not. No Kerfoot or Pietila this year.

Our development camp should be the New Jersey Devils/ Boston College Eagles / Mississauga Trout Development camp :P

No Pietila is not really surprising. I think he's a surefire bet to get a long look in TC.

Kerfoot is a bit troubling. He was strong at the development camp last summer and could pull a Vesey/Schultz next year if he wants to. Who knows with him, but Pietila's absence is less interesting in this respect.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No Pietila is not really surprising. I think he's a surefire bet to get a long look in TC.

Kerfoot is a bit troubling. He was strong at the development camp last summer and could pull a Vesey/Schultz next year if he wants to. Who knows with him, but Pietila's absence is less interesting in this respect.

Pietila has almost certainly been to 5 development camps which I believe is the limit.

EDIT: CBA doesn't say there's a limit, but I do believe players who've attended a ton of them are often allowed to skip them.

Kerfoot is not really an NHL prospect, but I'm still surprised he's not there.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
These camps always have filler of local kids that have no shot at the NHL.
Or GM's sons...;)

However, there are legitimate opportunities for some of these invites to get signed since Albany has spots open.

I am intrigued by Cangelosi since he can score although pint sized.

Gavin Bayreuther also is someone to keep an eye on.

And then we have the entry level guys that will be competing for NHL spots such as Blender, Lappin, Zacha, Wood, Santini.

It will be interesting if we get any pleasant surprises out of this camp.

I guess the Russians couldn't make it over.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Kerfoot also would have to pay his own way but that probably isn't a problem. Also Kerfoot isn't a likely candidate to become a Vesey. There are huge question marks about his reliance on Vesey considering he put up 30 assists and only scored 4 goals in 33 games.

I'm really excited about Wood. His ability to produce points need to be worked on but his tool box of size and speed is something else. His puck pursuit is special. I see his floor as a good 4th line winger while his ceiling is a really good middle six complimentary winger. Excited to see what he can do with a year in Albany.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Kerfoot also would have to pay his own way but that probably isn't a problem. Also Kerfoot isn't a likely candidate to become a Vesey. There are huge question marks about his reliance on Vesey considering he put up 30 assists and only scored 4 goals in 33 games.

I'm really excited about Wood. His ability to produce points need to be worked on but his tool box of size and speed is something else. His puck pursuit is special. I see his floor as a good 4th line winger while his ceiling is a really good middle six complimentary winger. Excited to see what he can do with a year in Albany.

I'm very high on him too. He reminds me of Krieder with not as much finishing ability.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah it seems like it's usually about 50 guys in previous years.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Let's take a look at some of the new names on the list.

Jan Mandat, Kevin Rooney were signed to AHL contracts with Albany, so let's take a look at the invitees.

Forwards

Austin Cangelosi - A BC guy who, while is diminutive in stature, put up almost a PPG pace at the NCAA level

(From Anthony Noreen, head coach and GM of Youngstown Phantoms)

His hockey sense is phenomenal, which is always something NHL teams use to separate players… His compete level is elite – his motor never stops and he’s full-go every time he’s on the ice – and because of that, he makes players around him better… Every level he’s been at he’s been able to score, which is always at a premium in this game and at the next level. There were questions about him when he jumped into [the USHL] at such a young age and he proved it again… He’s an elite skater, which also helps his pro stock… It’s a definite plus that he’s going to be moving on to Boston College. They’ve got great track record of developing your under-sized but highly-skilled forwards.

(from Ryan Kennedy of THN)

[Cangelosi] exploded out of the gate with eight goals and 11 points in six games. The 5-foot-8 Florida native may be undersized, but there’s no questioning his results and he’s not a one-game wonder… He’s also deadly on the penalty kill

(from Darren Winkler, "The Video Scout")

Austin Cangelosi is the type of player that grows on you. The more you see him, the more you appreciate his skill set. Despite his small stature, he is a powerful skater who can make plays at his high-end speed. The stereotype of small and shifty works with Cangelosi. His biggest strength is his vision and hockey sense. He has the ability to put the puck in places where teammates can walk into shots and line mates into one-timers. Cangelosi is a creative thinker who isn’t afraid to try different moves off the rush to confuse defenders as evidenced with his chip and flip goal in overtime in the playoffs. The centre can play in any situation and in my viewings logged heavy minutes without tiring. His biggest area to improve is in the corners. Cangelosi can at times get swallowed up and pinned into the boards by bigger opposition. As his strength develops and he becomes more elusive down low, this issue will be less of a problem in the future. Cangelosi has some similar qualities to fellow BC recruit John Gaudreau, who Calgary grabbed in the 4th round in 2011. His upside may not be quite as high but still worth investing in for an NHL team in the late rounds.

(from Corey Pronman)

Cangelosi had a tremendous first season in the USHL being one of the top-scoring draft-eligible players in the league. He has a tremendous skill set although it is compounded within an extremely small frame. Cangelosi is a burner who shows legit high-end skating ability and can simply fly up the ice. The other aspects of his skating aren't as high-end although still good, but his speed is a very dangerous weapon. Cangelosi combined that with above-average puck skills and above-average to plus vision. It should suffice to say from a raw talent perspective he's a great offensive player who can create chances in a variety of ways. He has the puck abilities to dangle from a standstill and to maneuver well at full speed. His vision flashes high-end on a couple of occasions, as he is certainly a creative player who has the hockey sense to make the difficult plays… Small guys can make it, but he would be a risk though to take, however, he has top-six potential if he pans out

(No relation to our play-by-play announcer, Steve Cangialosi)

Chris Shero - Bring in all the BC guys! Shero really didn't get an opportunity to play for BC, only playing in 1 game on the very deep squad. Was a freshman this year, despite already being 20, so next season we'll get a better look at him. (Yes, son of Ray Shero)

Defensemen

Zach Berzolla - Howell, NJ native

(this is from a website from two years ago)

Berzolla was a physical force all week with one big open-ice hit after another. He is big, rugged, and tough to get around, especially below the hash marks where he picks his spots and throws his weight around. While Berzolla is not known for anything he does with the puck, he is a competent passer and doesn’t force plays that aren’t there. A reliable, physical presence on the blue line, he can log big minutes and wear opposing teams down. He will play for the Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL) in the upcoming season. College: Colorado College

Gavin Bayreuther - Cousin of Ben Lovejoy

(from Dobber Prospects)

a 21 year old, 6’1” 194 pound defenceman who has played three seasons with St. Lawrence University. Bayreuther scored 11 goals and had 28 points in 36 games as a junior this past season. His freshman year was very impressive where he scored 36 points before having a dip in his sophomore year producing only 17 points. Scouting reports favour his booming shot from the point as his strongest asset as it is both powerful and accurate. His skating is also an asset showing both speed and agility.

A smooth puck-moving defenseman who has a knack for finding passing lanes...good quarterbacking the Powerplay

Luke McInnis -

(from the same website as Berzolla)

An undersized offensive defenseman who approaches the game with a swagger and confidence, McInnis has excellent stick skills -- and the puck can be found on his stick, often. He likes to jump into the rush, and he excels in man-up situations. He has a powerful slap shot that he can get off instantly from the blue line and is an underrated passer in all three zones. McInnis is growing into a more fully-rounded defender: he took the body, played tough in the corners, and made smart decisions on the breakout. He will forgo his senior season at Dexter to play for Youngstown (USHL). He had a 0-2-2 line on the week. College: Boston College ’17

From SBN's Jeff Cox:

This was by far the most impressed I've been with him. I had seen him during the high school season and thought he was a good player, but not this good. He is a terrific skater, always has his head up looking for an outlet pass. He makes smart plays and doesn't try to do too much. He's a good power play QB who needs to be a little more consistently strong in his own end.

Very surprised McInnis didn't get drafted. He'll be a guy to keep an eye on. (BC guy too)

Garret Cockerill - Hard to find some information on him. He's been playing at NorthEastern University and is the older brother to a draft-eligible RWer (for the 2017 draft). I'll have to watch some film on him. I'll edit this after I watch some film

Marc Biega - Merrimack teammate of 2015 draftee Brett Seney.

(from OvertheBoards)

An extremely calm defender who doesn’t catch your attention with his size or his skating, but plays an excellent positional game, using his stick to break up passes, Biega anticipates the play well and can read the ice in both ends of the ice, definitely also willing to throw the body around if need be, a very strong upper body who can finish checks hard, extremely hard to get past in the offensive end, great hustle and work ethic who can make a crisp pass out of the zone.

With his head up, his transition game from offense to defense is nothing short of impressive and is the main reason why he plays top minutes, a potential minute-eater at the college level, and if he keeps getting better and perfects his game, a professional career could be in the horizon.

Scott Savage - Seems to me to be a solid shutdown defenseman who doesn't play flashy or physical.

(from this website)

The 6-foot-1 defenseman parlayed a solid rookie campaign with BC to a spot on NHL Central Scouting’s radar, being positioned at 194th among North American skaters in its final rankings. Savage, who weighed only 168 pounds last year at this time, added muscle and now tips the scales at 185 pounds, which is still a little too lean for an NHL defenseman but a marked improvement. Last season, Savage proved himself on a young BC blueline, finishing second among defensemen on the team with 18 points (4g-14a) in 35 games. He displayed willingness to jump into the play and help run the offense from the point. But his defensive play still needs work, although he did improve over the course of the season. At times, Savage made poor decisions with the puck – most notably a costly turnover that sealed Notre Dame’s win over BC in game three of the Hockey East quarterfinals – or was outmuscled by stronger opponents. That being said, he has shown both promise and improvement, meaning that a team may take a late-round flier on him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Very happy to see Zacha, Coleman, Wood, Santini and Blandisi on that list.

I love that group of forwards coming in.

NiedsKicks

Jun 24, 2016
New Jersey
All of a sudden our prospects don't look too shabby. One guy missing from there is Vojtech Mozik. He's only 23 and 6'2, could be a decent presence for us this year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
So, missing 3 guys from the latest draft class - the 2 Russians as well as the 7th rounder Davies.

Mozik is a bit of a surprise not to see on the list.

I also thought Rehill would be in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad