OT: Developing situation in Edm(9 Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I always thought these thigns happen in other larger cities and not Edmonton. This a is very sad as I always tell people Canada and Edmonton is safe clean and friendly.

Edmonton, compared to most of the rest of the world (including the US) is a very safe, clean, and friendly city.

The per capita murder rate is 10-15 times lower than many cities just in the USA.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I always thought these thigns happen in other larger cities and not Edmonton. This a is very sad as I always tell people Canada and Edmonton is safe clean and friendly.

maybe becuase I am from the wrong side of the tracks, but, drugs, violance and other fun stuff was part of my childhood in Edmonton.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The ******** responsible for this has been known to police for 25yrs here and with known gang ties.

Not sure why we even allow ****ers like this to stay in the country at all.

Extradition should be immediate if an immigrant to this country wants to be involved in gangs and organized crime. let them do crime somewhere else.

Ogopogo*

The ******** responsible for this has been known to police for 25yrs here and with known gang ties.

Extradition should be immediate if an immigrant to this country wants to be involved in gangs and organized crime. let them do crime somewhere else.

Where did you get this information from? I hadn't heard that.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
sadly it happens around the holiday season every year. Usually not this badly. I know a few police officers and they have told me stories of how more intense family battles are during the holiday season and how nasty it can turn out

I will say it seems to be getting worse too. Been an officer for more than 8 years. 4 suicide attempts in my last two shifts. Hard to stay positive. Thoughts are in Edmonton.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Where did you get this information from? I hadn't heard that.

Theres a lot out there already. heres just a bit. We have a huge Viet Gang problem here and our courts and legal system play catch and release with these dangerous people.

Knecht said the man was “known to police” and had a criminal record dating back to 1987 for drug and violence-related issues. The handgun used in all of the deaths was legally registered in B.C. in 1997, but was stolen in Surrey in 2006.

Knecht said the investigation remains “fluid,” and that investigators are still trying to sort out the exact sequence of events, and how all of the victims and suspects are linked. He did say though that the murders were “planned, deliberate and targeted.”

Police would not provide the name of the suspect or the other victims, but tax documents show the north Edmonton home is owned by Phu Lam and Thuy-Tien “Tien” Truong.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
sadly it happens around the holiday season every year. Usually not this badly. I know a few police officers and they have told me stories of how more intense family battles are during the holiday season and how nasty it can turn out

It is a stark reminder of why this is the holiday season. The winter solstice is the hardest on people in the northern hemisphere, whether that be the old and sick dying (you'll notice an uptick of celebrities dying on the twelve days of Christmas) and the suicidal more willing to carry out their suicides. Swift Runner killed his family on December 18th. We come together to make sure our loved ones are safe and offer things to help each other out (food and gifts.) It can be a solemn holiday, like pre-Victorian Christmas or it can live and vivid like Saturnalia or modern Christmas.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It is. An isolated domestic dispute hardly changes the reality that Edmonton is very safe.

hummm Edmonton has not changed that much----it is just good at either ignoring the bad stuff or down playing. 8 murders and suicide does not happen that much here in England to put it into perspective. I have lived here for nearly 15 years and London England is just as safe as Edmonton Alberta is

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I've never considered Edmonton and overly safe city, but something like this is shocking. Stay safe people and keep your friends away from the crazies.

You know letting them stay in the country isn't the problem.

Doing a proper job of screening people is the problem.

I understand that some people come here as refugees and a small number of those people end up causing problems. I'm never going to criticize the government for that because I believe there are some places on earth which are so horrible to live in that we can't imagine what it's like. Not even close. We need to be compassionate to people from those regions and give them a chance at a decent life.

As for most of the time this stuff happens I think it often comes from the government not having strict enough standards on screening people.

This might sound unfair to 99% of the world, but I really feel that we shouldn't let people immigrate from countries that feed us so much unreliable information.

I'll say this. I generally enjoy the company of Chinese people.
But there are 1.3 billion people here. No matter how good of a job you do building a nation, with a population that size you're going to have some "troubled" people. I've had the misfortunate experience of meeting more than a few of those types of people and a number of those people are now residing in Canada.

They went through the standard procedure to pay a boat load of money to get the right to reside in Canada. The fact that they paid a boat load of money shouldn't be frowned upon. It often suggests that the applicant's education, jobs skills and/or English level are below par. These people have flawless criminal records when they apply.

Where the trouble lies is the fact that there are smaller communities where corruption prevails and allows information to be changed. My former employer was found guilty of stabbing her husband to death. I can't remember how many times they said they stabbed her in the police report. It was over half a dozen.

She managed to get a plea bargain with her husband's family. In exchange for giving "X" amount of her school's revenue for "X" amount of years, she served 4 years in prison. She was found guilty of premeditated murder. She met her husband in a car. She was in the front passenger side seat, she pulled a knife out of her purse and she stabbed him repeatedly.

Since coming out of prison (I think that was 2010) she has been issued a passport. How you say? Well, her criminal record was cleared. She has traveled to North America since all of this has happened. This is where the problem lies.

I'm under the impression that this problem will become less of a factor as 3rd world countries become more modern and more information is kept on computers on networks that spread across whole countries.

Until then it might be a good idea for us to suggest to our government that we actually start creating some new job markets instead of depending on immigrants to keep our economy and population afloat.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
I've never felt unsafe in Edmonton despite growing up in the rougher parts of town. That might be because I'm not white but w/e

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Agreed, home grown criminals are bad enough, immigrant criminals should be deported if they are career criminals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Very sad to have so many lives lost. A reminder that people can snap any where at any time. Don't overlook signs in people that seem to be very troubled and you could possibly prevent something like this by trying to steer them to the right people to help them.

gofafeads

Oct 10, 2008

So many things wrong with this post including discrimination, failure to realize the black market will run whether it is done by domestics or immigrants, failure to realize that there are not many countries willing horde and take back defected criminals who committed crimes on international soil.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So many things wrong with this post including discrimination, failure to realize the black market will run whether it is done by domestics or immigrants, failure to realize that there are not many countries willing horde and take back defected criminals who committed crimes on international soil.

Discrimination eh?

I already know enough details.

Not sure what part is discrimination

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Very sad to hear about this. Especially with 2 children among the dead. Such a tragedy.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad