OT: Developing situation in Edm(9 Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yes, the 7 dead in the one house on the North End is the worst Murder Scene in Edmonton history. This is just almost indescribable.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
According to CBC News Alerts Twitter

Deaths of 9 people in #Edmonton area are worst mass killing in #Alberta in 135 yrs. Man named Swift Runner killed 9 family members in 1879

All of that, and this is nuts.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
All media sources are claiming that the scenes are connected, but no one is justifying that claim. One of the events seems to be a domestic case, in which murders and a suicide took place. The others may be gang related, but it appears that the media are sensationalizing these events to some degree.

I suspect that two of the events are related, the other occurring coincidentally at the same time, and the media doing what the media does by sensationalizing it.

Aug 3, 2010
Stay safe Edmonton bros. <mod edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Are you trying to be funny with that? If so, you failed...

Why? Because I could literally walk to the house in north edmonton in less than 5 minutes. When you have a wife and a small kid, these things tend to concern.

Not trying to be funny at all. These incidents (with some exception of course) happen to people who put themselves in high risk situations. Crime, utterly screwed up family situations etc. There is nothing funny about it, but a regular person going to work, heading to soccer practice, watching the hockey game, and having a few beers, has about a million things more to worry about than how 'unsafe' Edmonton is.

Honestly, this is a horrible situation and Edmonton is a great city with fantastic people, so you guys will pull through this.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not trying to be funny at all. These incidents (with some exception of course) happen to people who put themselves in high risk situations. Crime, utterly screwed up family situations etc. There is nothing funny about it, but a regular person going to work, heading to soccer practice, watching the hockey game, and having a few beers, has about a million things more to worry about than how 'unsafe' Edmonton is.

I said "part of" Edmonton, not the entire city...

Aug 3, 2010

Honestly, this is a horrible situation and Edmonton is a great city with fantastic people, so you guys will pull through this.

I agree that the primary target is oftentimes a single person. But in cases of violent crime involving guns or knives in public areas, up to 80% of the victims are not the intended target - ricochet, inaccurate weapon usage, or even a panicked perpetrator leads to innocents in the line of fire paying the price.
The unfortunate fact is that most gang members or delinquents given a weapon aren't properly trained to use it - spray and pray tactics are prevalent in gang-related killings.

I appreciate the fact you are trying to keep a level head regarding tragic situations, and that is needed instead of "slippery slope" reactions. But the truth of the problem is that when there are volatile members in any given community, the overall chance that innocent bystanders are harmed rises.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

:shakehead yes those damn kids putting themselves in high risk situations.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
:shakehead yes those damn kids putting themselves in high risk situations.

Obviously not the kids choice, which is why I said 'with exceptions'.

Anyways, I don't want to minimize the pain suffered in this situation, but I do think that Edmonton is a great city which is actually very safe for the vast majority of people.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well, sounds like the scenes are all linked. What an extraordinary and terrible thing to have happened.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Yup, domestic. Pretty messed up... Sad when someone feels like they have to take others lives along with their own, especially innocent children.

Ogopogo*

Gang related I would assume?

As the information comes out, it is a domestic violence, murder/suicide incident. Sad - especially when kids are among the victims. No matter how bad things get, that isn't the solution.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As the information comes out, it is a domestic violence, murder/suicide incident. Sad - especially when kids are among the victims. No matter how bad things get, that isn't the solution.

sadly it happens around the holiday season every year. Usually not this badly. I know a few police officers and they have told me stories of how more intense family battles are during the holiday season and how nasty it can turn out

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I always thought these thigns happen in other larger cities and not Edmonton. This a is very sad as I always tell people Canada and Edmonton is safe clean and friendly.

Ogopogo*

I always thought these thigns happen in other larger cities and not Edmonton. This a is very sad as I always tell people Canada and Edmonton is safe clean and friendly.

It is. An isolated domestic dispute hardly changes the reality that Edmonton is very safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad