Post-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Leafs | 7PM ET | FSD

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Its funny how only a week ago I was debating someone who thought Nyquist was having a bad season. Guy is playing great, hopefully he keeps it up and brings us a nice return at the TDL.

Honestly I think we are all delusional at this point. Gus won’t be traded.

Did anyone else today listen to holland about re signing Gus?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Great. Holland will give Gus a lifetime contract...

Honestly, I think those days are over. Holland has one year left after this one (barring a Stevie return), traded Tatar who had term left, signed Mantha and AA to short bridge deals and only gave Larkin a 5 year deal.
My best guess is Nyquist for a 1st at the deadline, unless were in a serious playoff hunt.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Honestly, I think those days are over. Holland has one year left after this one (barring a Stevie return), traded Tatar who had term left, signed Mantha and AA to short bridge deals and only gave Larkin a 5 year deal.
My best guess is Nyquist for a 1st at the deadline, unless were in a serious playoff hunt.

Holland today was taking about starting the process of re signing Gus. So we’ll see.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Holland today was taking about starting the process of re signing Gus. So we’ll see.

Didn't hear it. It could be smoke and mirrors though. He can't come out and say "Yeah, we're gonna trade Gus here at the deadline" and expect to get a good return. Perhaps my new found faith in Holland will be for naught.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Leafs fan. Good game, Larkin does look dangerous out there. Wings definitely surprised a lot of leaf fans including myself. I think a lot of us got a little too confident basically calling this a win with Nylander back. Wish we had better goaltending today but nonetheless gotta give you guys credit.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Of course the one game I missed so far this year is a dandy.

Watched the highlights. Did Nylander even play? lol

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Still astounded the Wings blocked 30 shots. What an effort to stifle Toronto and it seemed like the puck was bouncing our way. I found it highly amusing as the Wings imploded in the 3rd and my family erupted when Larkin scored in OT. Facing the Maple Leafs is always entertaining IMO.

Reactions: mantha39

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think he is a member of the "tank and lottery" group. The more losses the better.

Hey I acknowledged we lost against TB. While I hated it I accepted it. It’s cool. If we end up blowing it so hard for the remainder of the season and end up picking top three, then great.

But c’mon, this team is something like 12-5-3 in their last stretch of games and that poster is unhappy. Team has fought, shown skill, and shown how resilient it is. It’s something we’ve been clamoring for since probably 2013. Now that the team is actually trying to win and showing heart some are unhappy.

I’ll keep reitering this. While we still may need another top talent (which is possible to get outside the top five) we should relish in the fact that we have young players ready and willing to improve and determined to win. That’s also important for development of any team in general.

So imo, we win. It’s a positive. If we lose, it’s also a positive. Either way our future is extremely bright.

Reactions: SirloinUB and pz29

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Hey I acknowledged we lost against TB. While I hated it I accepted it. It’s cool. If we end up blowing it so hard for the remainder of the season and end up picking top three, then great.

But c’mon, this team is something like 12-5-3 in their last stretch of games and that poster is unhappy. Team has fought, shown skill, and shown how resilient it is. It’s something we’ve been clamoring for since probably 2013. Now that the team is actually trying to win and showing heart some are unhappy.

I’ll keep reitering this. While we still may need another top talent (which is possible to get outside the top five) we should relish in the fact that we have young players ready and willing to improve and determined to win. That’s also important for development of any team in general.

So imo, we win. It’s a positive. If we lose, it’s also a positive. Either way our future is extremely bright.
I was referring to the guy, to whose post you were responding, not to you. Sorry about the confusion.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
People actually want us to resign Nyquist? Seriously? He's going to be 30 at the start of next season, and we are still a couple years from even being relevant. We are playing well right now, but the team is over-achieving a bit here. Let's not forget that we are in the rebuild, and we have a player who has (finally) started producing a bit. There is no better time to trade him then this year at the deadline, especially if he continues to produce. Get what you can, and call it a day. Nyquist is not helping us win a Stanley Cup, so why keep him? This loyalty to our players nonsense needs to stop. You don't win a Cup based on loyalty.

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I love games that start like this because that's how you know we're going to win or at least make it to the shootout.
To be fair, it's not like blocking 30 shots in a game was a reasonable expectation. And Toronto definitely did not have their A game for the first two periods. But kudos to the Wings - Larkin and Nyquist in particular - for great effort and even better execution.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
People actually want us to resign Nyquist? Seriously? He's going to be 30 at the start of next season, and we are still a couple years from even being relevant. We are playing well right now, but the team is over-achieving a bit here. Let's not forget that we are in the rebuild, and we have a player who has (finally) started producing a bit. There is no better time to trade him then this year at the deadline, especially if he continues to produce. Get what you can, and call it a day. Nyquist is not helping us win a Stanley Cup, so why keep him? This loyalty to our players nonsense needs to stop. You don't win a Cup based on loyalty.
Totally agree. Even thinking about extending Nyquist right now would be assuming that the current Gus will be the one you continue to get down the road, which simply isn't his track record (even when he was with a younger, healthier Zetterberg).

If they wanna bring him back in July, that's another discussion. But while they can say whatever they like in the media, their actions better reflect Nyquist as a trade chip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad