Post-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Leafs | 7PM ET | FSD

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
People actually want us to resign Nyquist? Seriously? He's going to be 30 at the start of next season, and we are still a couple years from even being relevant. We are playing well right now, but the team is over-achieving a bit here. Let's not forget that we are in the rebuild, and we have a player who has (finally) started producing a bit. There is no better time to trade him then this year at the deadline, especially if he continues to produce. Get what you can, and call it a day. Nyquist is not helping us win a Stanley Cup, so why keep him? This loyalty to our players nonsense needs to stop. You don't win a Cup based on loyalty.
It's all depends how much he asked. He brings hard work good leadership, it will be great for kids who play with him. Next year we need space for Veleno ,Hronek and Zadina to make team, something has to be done for that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's all depends how much he asked. He brings hard work good leadership, it will be great for kids who play with him. Next year we need space for Veleno ,Hronek and Zadina to make team, something has to be done for that.

With Nyquist:

Nyquist - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen -
Veleno - Zadina (loved that Training camp -line)
Athanasiou - Nielsen - Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

(Svechnikov, Ehn/De La Rose)

Frk, Vanek, Witkowski will make the room...

I was really happy when we traded TAtar, because he was slipping statistically out even being a TOP9 player. There was a risk becoming an contract anchor and Holland did know 100% the situation and pulled the trigger when it was no-brainer move.

But Nyquist has been 2nd best at last season (after Zetterberg) and at this season (after Larkin), so I don't mind keeping him. I'm not sure getting rid of Nyquist is neccessarily a no-brainer thing. Extending him and trading him maybe later after 3-4 years, could be as good scenario, than this trade-speculation now.

In general, We have to keep the positive impact guys and get rid of negative impact guys a bit by bit. Nyquist is definitely a positive impact player. These Frks, Vaneks and Witkowskis are definitely not.

Ideal scenario would be trading Nyquist and getting assets for him, and then signing him back, but I don't know how proable is that to happen. Would he hurt some feelings for the management or would he love a different opportunity to win. Don't know.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't care what people around here say. No reason that next season this team can't have a similar year to the 2016-2017 Maple Leafs - young/competitive playoff team on the upswing. If they are fortunate enough to make a big free agent signing or two, the rebuild is likely over and they should be trying to make the playoffs. My dream scenario:

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen - Top 5 pick - Bertuzzi
Athanasiou - Nielsen - Veleno
Helm/Abdelkader - Glendening - De La Rose

Dekeyser - E Karlsson
Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Hronek

Reactions: 21 Savage

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I don't care what people around here say. No reason that next season this team can't have a similar year to the 2016-2017 Maple Leafs - young/competitive playoff team on the upswing. If they are fortunate enough to make a big free agent signing or two, the rebuild is likely over and they should be trying to make the playoffs. My dream scenario:

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha

Dekeyser - E Karlsson
Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Hronek
I also believe that's a roster that can compete hard against a lot of teams and be succesful. Question is; do you bring back Blashill?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
No reason that next season this team can't have a similar year to the 2016-2017 Maple Leafs - young/competitive playoff team on the upswing. If they are fortunate enough to make a big free agent signing or two
Karlsson is an enormous free agent signing. That's a lot to pin hopes on. And ever since the Suter/Parise debacle I don't put my hopes on things like that anymore.

Reactions: jkutswings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
People actually want us to resign Nyquist? Seriously? He's going to be 30 at the start of next season, and we are still a couple years from even being relevant. We are playing well right now, but the team is over-achieving a bit here. Let's not forget that we are in the rebuild, and we have a player who has (finally) started producing a bit. There is no better time to trade him then this year at the deadline, especially if he continues to produce. Get what you can, and call it a day. Nyquist is not helping us win a Stanley Cup, so why keep him? This loyalty to our players nonsense needs to stop. You don't win a Cup based on loyalty.
If we always trade away any good player over the age of 23, yeah it's gonna take us years and years to become a relevant team.

I don't know. It's still pretty early. But there are more aspects to consider than "we could get a pick for this guy!". At some point we have enough picks, especially if we are talking about draft picks that aren't in the top 10-15.

Reactions: lilidk

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Kenny yesterday on HC 12 said that he is very much waiting with regards to a decision on Nyquist, Jimmy and Jensen. Said if we are a few points out of a playoff spot, he may stand pat. Will reevaluate in January.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we always trade away any good player over the age of 23, yeah it's gonna take us years and years to become a relevant team.

I don't know. It's still pretty early. But there are more aspects to consider than "we could get a pick for this guy!". At some point we have enough picks, especially if we are talking about draft picks that aren't in the top 10-15.
To get close to 16 playoff wins, this team needs at least 2 major core pieces. Either a first or second center, and a top pair defenseman. Maybe an additional top 4 defenseman as well, but let's start with those first two pieces. Either this franchise finds a way to acquire those cornerstones outside of the top 10 of the draft, or they stockpile as many resources as they can to get as many top 10 picks as possible. Clearly, that should not extend to a firesale, dealing guys like Larkin (since he's part of the solution, and not part of the problem). But if Howard and Nyquist collectively return a late first and an early second round pick, then why not try to package those assets into a second top 10 pick?

There's a long way until June. But if this draft does shake out to include several really good centers and a few really good defensemen in the top 10-15 slots...why wouldn't you deal as many expiring contracts of veteran players as possible to load up for one more major (potential) shot in the arm, which might finalize (or nearly finalize) the rebuilding process?

If I have the choice between re-signing guys like Nyquist and Howard for stability and work ethic, or having a chance at bringing in BOTH a guy like Turcotte (or maybe even Dach or Cozens) AND one of the top 2-3 defenseman in this draft class...I take the latter without hesitation. Larkin is already leading the way for the next core to have plenty of work ethic, and the high end talent to finish this off right is best found near the top of the draft.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha

Dekeyser - E Karlsson
Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Hronek

If that all falls into place, I 100% agree and have been saying as much since the offseason. But if this team ends up with the 12th overall pick or something like that, I think it's less likely that this team takes the next step next season and it's more of the same.

Reactions: Winger98

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Love how Larkin is becoming more and more confident in his abilities. Can't wait to see what he looks like in another season or two, with a better team around him.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Despite blowing a huge lead, that was one of the best games i've seen the Wings play in along time.

I really liked what I saw from your team. Hard forecheck, young, speed, and improving all the time. I think the Leafs severely underestimated this game, and we were lucky to get a point. You guys took it to us for most of that game.

I would say maybe one more good draft, and a couple of good signings, and this is a damn good team, and well coached.

Reactions: NervousPerson

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If that all falls into place, I 100% agree and have been saying as much since the offseason. But if this team ends up with the 12th overall pick or something like that, I think it's less likely that this team takes the next step next season and it's more of the same.
That's why I'd like to take full advantage of their last good group of expiring contracts. Neither Daley nor Ericsson will yield a first rounder next year, and it falls off even more after that, so "double up" on assets one more time this year, and work that draft with all you've got to steal another great player or two. (And if it's two, you might have essentially finished the rebuild a year early, and everybody on this board can finally just cheer for success on the upswing toward doing real damage in the playoffs.)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That's why I'd like to take full advantage of their last good group of expiring contracts. Neither Daley nor Ericsson will yield a first rounder next year, and it falls off even more after that, so "double up" on assets one more time this year, and work that draft with all you've got to steal another great player or two. (And if it's two, you might have essentially finished the rebuild a year early, and everybody on this board can finally just cheer for success on the upswing toward doing real damage in the playoffs.)
If it's me...I'm stocking up on picks for 2020's draft to try and get Lafreniere. Get what you can, but if someone offers either a lottery-protected 2019 1st rounder or un-protected 2020...take the 2020 all day long.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

Whereas before the team had no identity, the youngsters are now building a team identity and it seems clear that Gus doesn't really fit the mold. It may be just as well to trade him for a guy with a little more hair down there.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Love how Larkin is becoming more and more confident in his abilities. Can't wait to see what he looks like in another season or two, with a better team around him.
Agreed.

I love how he refuses to quit. I can't wait to see the competitiveness of this team when we guys like Vanek and Green are gone.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Whereas before the team had no identity, the youngsters are now building a team identity and it seems clear that Gus doesn't really fit the mold. It may be just as well to trade him for a guy with a little more hair down there.

I don’t want to re-sign Gus really, but how can you say he doesn’t fit the mold/identity of this new team? He’s having his best season in quite some time and has looked great out there, he’s fitting in just fine.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don’t want to re-sign Gus really, but how can you say he doesn’t fit the mold/identity of this new team? He’s having his best season in quite some time and has looked great out there, he’s fitting in just fine.
I'm happy Nyquist is finally having a great season in a contract year, but it doesn't excuse his last three years of mediocre play. When he came into the league he was really fast, but now he doesn't seem to have any speed left. He doesn't shoot as much as he used to and he's barely effective on the power play anymore.

Nyquist is one of the reasons why this team sucks now and he should be moved as soon as good deal comes along. Re-signing him would be laughable.

Reactions: gbdet

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

Sometimes it isn't all about production. I am definitely glad to see that, and that will help build his asset value. He is just not the embodiment of the "we play for each other" style - not one to ratchet up intensity, not a great playoff guy or leader, and generally not a bringer of fire. There are teams that could use some middle six production so we should sell high on him.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha

Dekeyser - E Karlsson
Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Hronek
I agree with this sentiment as well.

People are underselling the strides our youngins have made. If we get a top 5 pick and trim some fat this team is easily in the playoffs by 2020-2021

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Rasmussen-Top pick-Zadina (will be first line in 2 years but still young)
Athanasiou-Veleno-Ufa or Nyquist
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Glendenning

Assuming Zadina, Veleno, and our top pick this year meet even the lowest expectations without being a bust that is a playoff forward core in my mind, similar to what the Blues had a few years back.

Imo we are, 1-2 years seasoning of our young guys, one good center pick away and one solid UFA d man away from being a very good team.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Did nobody notice the original post about the team close to contending put Erik Karlsson on the defensive core? With DK as his partner?

1. Signing Karlsson is a ridiculous long-shot and he is going to be so expensive I have no idea how we will need to work around that contract.
2. Dekeyser should not be sniffing top-pairing minutes on a healthy contending team.

Reactions: Flowah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad