Detroit Red Wings Prospect Tracker 14-15: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Larkin's line (officially line #2) was dominant (Hyman was fantastic). Larkin certainly has a good head for the game, and thinks plenty offensively.

He played a part in one of UMass-Lowell's goals, but it was mainly because he over-backchecked, which is better than not backchecking at all at least.

He played the right point on the 1st PP unit, unleashing a hard, low shot that the goalie saved, but kicked right to another Wolverine for the rebound goal.

He also centered the 2nd PK unit.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Can anyone who watched the game comment on Larkin's playmaking ability? Were his assists due to strong passes and a high Hockey IQ? Or were they off of plays that he didn't contribute much to the goal?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
His line was on the ice for 6 of 8 goals. His linemates were sophomore Alex Kile, an offensively capable winger with some slick hands, and senior Zach Hyman, a kid who was supposed to be one of Michigan's better offensive forwards coming in, but who didn't pan out that way.... until maybe this season. Anyway, his line's goals, going from memory....

1st - (assist) On the PP, he set up on the right point, faceoff win in the offensive zone, puck goes to LD Werenski, who passes across to Larkin, who unleashes a good hard shot, goalie makes kick save to his right, rebound goes right to Kile, who pots it

2nd - (assist) Larkin makes a nice play to gain possession of the puck in the defensive zone and then carries it out, through two defenders, and then through the neutral zone, where he then dishes to Kile, who tic-tac-toes it to Hyman for the goal

3rd - (no point) Larkin makes another nice play intercepting a centering pass in the defensive zone, then passes to Werenski, who dishes to Downing (the other D), who begins the breakout that ends up being another Kile-Hyman connection, with Larkin being the late man for support

4th - (goal) Credited with the goal, but didn't actually score it; Hyman takes a hard, high shot and the goalie made the save, but the puck pops up in the air, where Larkin tries to knock it in the net, but before he can, the goalie swings around and knocks it in with his own stick; it was close, but clear on the replay

5th - (no point) Hm, can't remember this one, but I don't think Larkin had anything to do with it

6th - (assist) Larkin has possession in the offensive zone and skates the puck around the back of the net, where he makes a dish to Hyman (I think), who is driving the net but misses the puck; it keeps going up the slot, right to Werenski, who is pinching and roofs a Kronwallesque shot

Overall, he looked confident with puck, carried it well, made a few nice moves with it throughout the game, and made clean passes. Looks promising for a freshman.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks Jaster. That analysis reminds me of Legwand.

Also two assists for Turgeon tonight in a 5-2 win. Looks like his offense is picking up.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Another assist for Larkin. Against Eichel's BU. Not positive, but I think he might be matched up against Eichel.

edit: another assist on the PP. Second of the night.

Game's about over. 8 shots, 2 assists, even +/-. 57% at faceoffs.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Janmark was named to the Swedish team for Karjala Tournament, it's next weekend. Sweden, Russia and Finland will have high quality European teams, not sure about the Czechs but they'll probably have mostly KHLers aswell.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I watched McNulty on Saturday night. His team (Prince George Cougars) were pretty out matched by the Oil Kings. McNulty finished a -1, but i thought he looked good.

MM was Prince George's best player. Between his skating and reach he covers A LOT of ice. This leads to solid defensive coverage.

Offensively, he looked like he had taken a step forward from past viewings. He made some good reads but kept it fairly simple.

Finally, Id like to point out he looks quite a bit bigger, more filled out than he did last year, and he used this to his advantage. He was more physical than I have ever seen him.

I don't know if he will be a legit pro prospect but the kid has made good progression year over year, in just about every element of his game.

Oct 18, 2006
He's obviously no longer a prospect, but...

Oh Johan. :laugh:

Just like he's famous for one of our very own Monsters best saves in a PS game.

Brandel*

Hicketts got an assist on the PP last night. Set up his partner for the one timer. Almost went end-to-end on one play, weaved his way through very smoothly, maybe his size helped ;)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
For those that have watched Larkin, what are your thoughts on his shot? I see he has 1 goal in 5 games and according to Jaster he didn't actually touch the puck. Regardless, I am not concerned, just curious.

And Tvrdon... :shakehead I dont get a chance to watch ECHL, and I am not sure that I would even if I could :laugh: Maybe he is looking good but 1 goal in 3 ECHL games is dissapointing, especially considering this is his second go 'round in the E. I once had high hopes for this kid. Unfortunately injuries seemingly derailed his career. Has anyone watched his ECHL games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad