Detroit Red Wings Prospect Tracker 14-15: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Is he an overager?

His draft was 2014. He's 18. No different than being excited about Mantha tearing up the Q in his post-draft year. Like I've said elsewhere, it looks like we recouped our lost 2nd rounder here.

Kind of crazy that if Hicketts keeps this up, he could be fighting for a GRG spot next year. More likely that he spends another year in the Dub, but considering he's already captain and has put on about as much weight as his frame can stand, there might not be much left for him there. Talk about a clogged prospect line.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Hoping for a late teens growth spurt for Hicketts - nothing greedy, just a couple of inches. Anybody know how tall his parents are? Siblings?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
His draft was 2014. He's 18. No different than being excited about Mantha tearing up the Q in his post-draft year. Like I've said elsewhere, it looks like we recouped our lost 2nd rounder here.

Kind of crazy that if Hicketts keeps this up, he could be fighting for a GRG spot next year. More likely that he spends another year in the Dub, but considering he's already captain and has put on about as much weight as his frame can stand, there might not be much left for him there. Talk about a clogged prospect line.
What's the U20 rule for undrafted CHL guys? Because if we had drafted him he couldn't play in GR until 2016-17, but I'm not sure how it works with undrafted kids.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What's the U20 rule for undrafted CHL guys? Because if we had drafted him he couldn't play in GR until 2016-17, but I'm not sure how it works with undrafted kids.

Hmm. I thought the rule only protected guys who were drafted by NHL teams out of the CHL, so that the CHL could get their desirable CHL talent back...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

not like there's gonna be much room in Grand Rapids until 2016-17 anyways

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Hmm. I thought the rule only protected guys who were drafted by NHL teams out of the CHL, so that the CHL could get their desirable CHL talent back...

It has nothing to do with being drafted by an NHL team. If you have CHL ownership and have played in the CHL, you cannot play in the AHL prior to being 20.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=735461

Nasty and Bert both named to the OHL subway series team. Nasty is playing in both games not sure what to make of that, Bertuzzi only playing in one. Brendan Lemiuex is playing in the other game from Bertuzzi, I could see them competing for the same rsoter spot

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It has nothing to do with being drafted by an NHL team. If you have CHL ownership and have played in the CHL, you cannot play in the AHL prior to being 20.
Not exactly. If a European player is drafted out of Europe, but plays the next year in the CHL, they're AHL eligible right away. Tatar, for example, almost went to the OHL. He would have been able to report to the Griffins the very next year.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=735461

Nasty and Bert both named to the OHL subway series team. Nasty is playing in both games not sure what to make of that, Bertuzzi only playing in one. Brendan Lemiuex is playing in the other game from Bertuzzi, I could see them competing for the same rsoter spot

Bertuzzi is only playing in the Thursday game (along with Fabbri/Dickinson/Harpur) because the Guelph Storm play Friday/Saturday/Sunday as well. Shaping up to be a long weekend for those guys.

I don't think it has been noted here before but helping Bertuzzi's Team Canada case is the fact that Guelph's head coach Scott Walker is an assistant with the World Junior squad.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
3 weeks of skating seems more than necessary, but I guess he will need to get his lungs and legs back.

You're talking about a player who missed all of training camp and likely hasn't been skating in over a month. He needs to get acclimated with the players and the system. They're not going to throw him in cold turkey.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
You're talking about a player who missed all of training camp and likely hasn't been skating in over a month. He needs to get acclimated with the players and the system. They're not going to throw him in cold turkey.

The article mentions that he will be learning the system starting immediately. Obviously learning the "theory" is different from playing in it, but it should give him a head start in acclimating.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting that Nastasiuk is playing both games for team OHL. I think that might be because they need to scout him for the WJCs. He's still playing on a pretty mediocre Owen Sound team, so I'm sure they want to see what he does with some talent.

Not sure what that says about Bertuzzi. Might be that, either way, they've made up their mind about him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Interesting that Nastasiuk is playing both games for team OHL. I think that might be because they need to scout him for the WJCs. He's still playing on a pretty mediocre Owen Sound team, so I'm sure they want to see what he does with some talent.

Not sure what that says about Bertuzzi. Might be that, either way, they've made up their mind about him.

Stormsurge said up above that Guelph has a few games right after that weekend so the Guelph guys will need to take a breather.

I was going to mention that Guelphhad a coach on the coaching staff, these guys are always biased to their own guys a bit. I think that helps Bertuzzis case, as long as he outplays Lemieux. I've never really watched Lemieux play, does anyone know how he is defensively?

Bertuzzi is supposed to be a great PKer and is good defensively so that could also help in the 4th line pest role over Brendan

Anchor Town*

I also don't like how Franzen & Zetterberg aren't on the team anymore. If they've retired we face huge cap recapture penalties and we've lost all of our veteran core when you add in that Kronwall & Ericsson are also missing.

They both signed their contracts before they were 35, why would there be a cap recapture penalty?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
They both signed their contracts before they were 35, why would there be a cap recapture penalty?

In the new CBA if a player made X amount of money over there cap hit the team receives cap penalties if the player retires early. It's essential a way to make sure that the teams that front loaded the contracts don't benefit anymore than they already have.

For example:

If Zetterberg retires in 2019 the Wings will have a 5M cap hit penalty for that season. If Franzen was to also retire that year we'd have a 2.9M cap hit penalty from him for that season.

You can fool around with the Capgeek tool yourself if you want.

Anchor Town*

In the new CBA if a player made X amount of money over there cap hit the team receives cap penalties if the player retires early. It's essential a way to make sure that the teams that front loaded the contracts don't benefit anymore than they already have.

For example:

If Zetterberg retires in 2019 the Wings will have a 5M cap hit penalty for that season. If Franzen was to also retire that year we'd have a 2.9M cap hit penalty from him for that season.

You can fool around with the Capgeek tool yourself if you want.

They did not grandfather in existing contracts?

Bps21*

This is why Ehrhoff was bought out. They changed the rules after contracts were signed by the rules that existed.

Ok so maybe it was done to ensure last place for buffalo...but man it is a reasonable enough excuse that everyone bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad