Detroit Red Wings Prospect Tracker 14-15: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
"Dylan Larkin was born and raised a Detroit Red Wings fan."

He was a Leafs fan growing up. Don't know why Detroit sports writers continue to go with the story line that he was a die hard Wings fan.

https://youtu.be/CJHE-SJ8Rwo?t=2m18s

The thing is, we haven 't been in the same conference for a long time and, until just recently, that rivalry has basically been dead. Just because he's a Leafs fan doesn't necessarily preclude him from being a Wings fan, especially for an 18 year old.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The thing is, we haven 't been in the same conference for a long time and, until just recently, that rivalry has basically been dead. Just because he's a Leafs fan doesn't necessarily preclude him from being a Wings fan, especially for an 18 year old.

Of course, but the Leafs were his #1 team. There's no question about that. He obviously followed Detroit being that he grew up in the area. Detroit sports reporters want to keep writing the storyline of the local Red Wings fan who is drafted by the hometown team. It's a nice story, but it's completely false. It's bad journalism at the end of the day.

Anchor Town*

What kind of chicken**** would root for two teams in the same league?

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah I guess you could tentatively call me a SJS fan as well. I will watch the odd SJS game and follow their results pretty carefully. A lot more than other teams anyway.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Of course, but the Leafs were his #1 team. There's no question about that. He obviously followed Detroit being that he grew up in the area. Detroit sports reporters want to keep writing the storyline of the local Red Wings fan who is drafted by the hometown team. It's a nice story, but it's completely false. It's bad journalism at the end of the day.
I'm not sure it's completely false. Some of that stuff in there would have had to come from the Larkins—stuff about how his room was decorated, and so on. Now, they're probably playing up how much of a fan he was, but if they say he was (and, more importantly, if he says he was), I guess I have to believe them. Maybe he liked the Leafs better, but that doesn't mean he didn't like the Wings too.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Detroit and Montreal for me.... they kind of feel like sibling teams, and there is an undeniable mutual respect.

It was always Boston for me. Original 6, but not exactly rivals like Chicago or Toronto. Often not the greatest team, so they had a bit of the underdog factor. Obviously a lot of this has changed recently :laugh:

Currently it's probably Winnipeg. At first it was cause I felt like their existence was a giant middle finger to Bettman. Now, they've just gotten better and better, so it just kinda stuck. I'm ok with Dallas now that Nill's in charge, though I'm really just rooting for him lol. And I really like the way St Louis is built, so I've rooted for them the last couple playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad