Speculation: Detroit Red Wings - all time team?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Chelios started with Les Club

Larry Robinson
Doug Harvey
Serge Savard
Andrei Markov
Guy Lapointe
Chris Chelios
Emile Bouchard
J. Laperrière
J.-C. Tremblay
Patrice Brisebois

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Chelios started with Les Club

Larry Robinson
Doug Harvey
Serge Savard
Andrei Markov
Guy Lapointe
Chris Chelios
Emile Bouchard
J. Laperrière
J.-C. Tremblay
Patrice Brisebois

Yeah, I wasn't saying it was bad only I think we have the advantage. Listen both teams are going to support insane lineups. For the record Doug Harvey played for us as well.

Real cheap I know, that is why this should be done with people that you think of essentially as Red Wings. There I think Montreal takes us probably as a squad. We lose Hasek and Red Kelly there, Hull cannot be on our team. For me Chelios drops off both rosters and is a Blackhawk. Coffey is an Oiler. Quakenbush I think is still us over the Bruins maybe not. It gets complicated

If you just want people that wore the jersey this gets more interesting. How does Wendel Clark look as a fourth line checker? Feel gross just saying it just like I did when he put on the jersey. But you see Harvey played 2 games for the Wings.

In terms of Fetisov while we get his Prime which was in Russia and makes him a Top 10 D-man all-time his NHL history is utterly Red Wings in nature even though he played for other teams.

But this is why I think there should be some limitations to this kind of exercise to begin with.

I expect most to forget a lot of the historical players that would make the squad, but if we get into a fight over what team would beat the other team well it gets interesting. I will say without much reservation nobody is beating the Wings and Habs historical clubs. That is because they have different dynasty periods that contribute to the team.

Also think about this in terms of the Habs, Roy probably isn't even their starting goalie.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Montreal would hands down have the best team.

Boston would have a ridiculous blueline.

And Detroit is definitely up there.

Pittsburgh would have a pretty insane team up front as well, especially for not being an original 6.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If I'm making a real team, my top three lines are basically set:

The Production Line
Shanahan-Yzerman-Fedorov
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Hull/Homer

Those 3 lines all actually played together as top lines, and in doing so they all won a Cup together. I can't not have them as my top 3 lines.

For sure. Can't break up the Production Line. :thumbu:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
In my mind, an all time Red Wings team should be based off their tenure with the club:

Lindsay-Yzerman-Howe
Ogrodnick-Fedorov-Datsyuk
Zetterberg-Delvecchio-Ullman
Shanahan-Abel-Redmond/Syd Howe

Lidstrom-Kelly
Larson-Pronovost
Quackenbush-Stewart
Kronwall

Sawchuk
Osgood/Hasek

Omitted Dionne due to only playing 3 seasons here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In my mind, an all time Red Wings team should be based off their tenure with the club:

Lindsay-Yzerman-Howe

Lidstrom-Kelly
Larson-Pronovost
Quackenbush-Stewart
Kronwall

Sawchuk
Osgood/Hasek

If it is in a Red Wings jersey there is no slash between Osgood and Hasek. Osgood's career with the Wings takes his quite easily.

Also not sure where Goodfellow falls short when you actually have gone through the historical Wings.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If it is in a Red Wings jersey there is no slash between Osgood and Hasek. Osgood's career with the Wings takes his quite easily.

Also not sure where Goodfellow falls short when you actually have gone through the historical Wings.

Fair enough, I figured people would argue if I omitted Hasek, so I put him on for appeasement's sake.

Also, I forgot Goodfellow! :facepalm:

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Post 1995 team. Based on prime in Detroit.

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hossa
Holmström - Larionov - Hull
McCarty - Draper - Maltby
Franzén - Kozlov
HM: Dan Cleary

Lidström - Konstantinov
Chelios - Rafalski
Kronwall - Murphy
Ericsson
HM: Brad Stuart

Hasek
Vernon
Osgood

leova

Feb 28, 2008
Post 1995 team. Based on prime in Detroit.

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hossa
Holmström - Larionov - Hull
McCarty - Draper - Maltby
Franzén - Kozlov
HM: Dan Cleary

Lidström - Konstantinov
Chelios - Rafalski
Kronwall - Murphy
Ericsson
HM: Brad Stuart

Hasek
Vernon
Osgood

thank god somebody else posted this before me, 2 pages is WAY too much for these guys to go unrecognized!
Hands-down one of the best lines ever :yo:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Montreal definitely has the best all time team, it goes with having 3 dynasties in 20 years. Hell, they have Roy, Plante, AND Dryden in net. Boston has Orr, Bourque, Shore, and Chara on their blue line. New York and Toronto's teams would be underwhelming comparatively.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
A bunch of guys that I didn't list that clearly also belong.

Pat Verbeek
Luc Robitaille
Marcel Dionne
Marcel Pronovost
Larry Murphy
Reed Larson
Dino Ciccareli
Mike Modano
Adam Oates
Sid Abel
John Ogrodnick
Jack Stewart
Norm Ullman

Oh and Marian Hossa could probably find his way onto this team too.

I think some critera should be defined around a player like Modano, Wendle Clark, Luc Robitaille I just don't know that they spent enough time with the wings to be on an all time list of wings. Someone like Paul Coffey too did not spend their prime years as a wing I would consider him more as an oiler if you are talking all time. Same with Modano and Luc they are Stars and Kings all time players. Even Hasek is questionable IMO, he was on a cup team but he was more of a rental way way past his prime.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
When I look at lists like this, I view it as you get the player at their best when they were with that organization.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

Lindsay-Yzerman-Howe

Lidstrom-Kelly
Larson-Pronovost
Quackenbush-Stewart
Kronwall

Sawchuk
Osgood/Hasek

Like this lineup :yo: but I'd change most of the lines
I don't remember Ullman & Delvechio getting along together on the ice
& the production line must stay together

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I like this game!

To help focus my team, I'm going to use the following guidelines:

1. I've decided to narrow the focus to "The Yzerman Era" onward - as I find it nearly impossible to translate and compare players and their impact from drastically different time periods. And not being 65, I can't honestly say I've seen any of the original Production Line play and I would be selecting them purely on reputation.

2. I am going to pick a particular season of that player in question - and not take into account the whole "career with the Red Wings" or if their prime was with another team, the player's performance is only eligible the seasons which they wore the Winged Whell

3. I am looking at the "team" - and not just taking the list speculated Top 4 of every position and calling it a day. I am trying to build a team that I could see actually complementing one another (i.e. if the team needs a strong and physical checking line, that we aren't rolling out Shanahan, Federov, and Datsyuk because they happen to be 3rd on the depth chart).

Line 1:
Brendan Shanahan (1996-97 Season - 46g, 41a, 97p)
Steve Yzerman (1988-89 Season - 65g, 90a, 155p)
Dino Ciccarelli (1992-93 Season - 41g, 56a, 97p)

Reasoning: Shanahan and Yzerman are obvious selections. The only debate would be 89' Yzerman versus his 00' Selke winning season and the pinnacle of his two-way reincarnation. Ultimately, I decided to go with Yzerman in the peak of his scoring prime as that season was considered one of the finest offensive seasons of all time. Ciccarelli had an absolute monster of a year in 93' but it was more in the way that he accomplished it - rough and tumble, in front of the crease, redirecting shots and cleaning up second chances. The great precursor to Holmstrom. This line can quite literally do it all and score in every which way and would have been amazing to watch.

Line 2:
Henrik Zetterberg (2007-08 - 43g, 49a, 92p)
Pavel Datsyuk (2007-08 - 31g, 66a, 97p)
Brett Hull (2001-02 - 30g, 33a, 63p)

Reasoning - The 07-08 season was an absolute beast of a year with at times otherworldly playmaking and two-way play. Add in the old line mate from 2003 who also happens to be the all leader leading right winger in NHL history. You now have two of the best two-way players to cover for the at-times lazy play of the elder Hull.

Line 3:
Slava Kozlov (1995-96 - 36g, 37a, 73p)
Sergei Federov (1993-94 - 56g, 64a, 120p)
Marian Hossa (2008-09 - 40g, 31a, 71p)

Reasoning - Kozlov is often overlooked but during the height of the Russian Five was a very adept scorer and could extend possession with his stick work and chemistry with his Eastern Bloc teammates. Fedorov's 94' season was just plain dominate. Period. And despite the poor legacy he left, Hossa remains one of the overall players in the game today.

Line 4:
Kirk Maltby
Kris Draper
Darren McCarty

Reasoning - Arguably one of the best shutdown lines ever assembled in the history of the game. Brought physicality, penalty killing, toughness and respect.

Reserve: Keith Primeau, Igor Larionov

Pair 1
Nicklas Lidstrom (any year - doesn't matter)
Paul Coffey (1993-94 - 14g, 63a, 77p)

Reasoning - It's Lidstrom and Coffey. I mean...

Pair 2
Chris Chelios (2001-02 - 6g, 33a, 39p)
Brian Rafalski (2007-08 -13g, 42a, 55p)

Reasoning - Chelios's best season wearing the Winged Wheel - a Norris caliber season. Rafalski was quietly effective with a calm, consistent, and efficient style and would bring offensive complement to Chelios's aggressive and physical play.

Pair 3
Mathieu Schneider (2005-06 - 21g, 38a, 59p)
Vladimir Konstantinov (1996-97 - 5g, 33a, 38p)

Reasoning - Similar in style to Pair 2.

Reserve: Nicklas Kronwall

Goalies
Dominik Hasek
Manny Legace

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Octopus kid clearly hates Osgood to a laughable degree. Is Manny Legacy your neighbor? I have met Manny great guy, but maybe top 5 in terms of Wings goalies to play for the team during the Yzerman tenure and that is generous now that I listed them below pretty impossible to argue even that really. Honestly as a fan-base we should be outraged Osgood isn't a sure fire HHOF or will get in someday and we are actually meaner than anybody else in the hockey world to him, it is sickening.

Hasek, Osgood, Vernon, Cujo, and Howard already. I would actually put Cheveldae in front of Legacy too.

Also in terms of some of the argument Larry Murphy got hosed and he actually was Lidstrom's best partnership during his career, if not it was the late Brad McCrimmon. Rafalski probably ran third.

Schneider put up some nice points, but I would never put him on even a post Yzerman era team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
20101112_timo_1.png

this is why ozzie isn't HOFer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
20101112_timo_1.png

this is why ozzie isn't HOFer.

Belfour has those couple of Vezina's in the early 90's part of which are due to his fan-fare in Chicago and then Dallas. Eddie the Eagle he is the best. I never thought he was better than Ozzie, I always thought we had an advantage heads up.

Part of Osgood's lack of all-stars and lack of those things is the fact as a city we bought hook line and sinker he just needed to be good enough. Put up the top 10 all-time numbers post-season and regular season and you will see a shocking amount of Chris Osgood.

Part of what burns me on this is if we win game 7 in 09 it is no longer even a question. It really shouldn't be anyway. In my opinion we play a pivotal role in that as a fan-base, we never pumped his tires to use a Lou word. We never defend the guy, actually we are pretty outright dismissive of what he accomplished and it is kind of appalling.

It is what it is, the fact guys like Legacy would appear in front of him tells you all you need to know. Really Osgood's only peers in terms of accomplishments are in the HHOF and there is a reason for that. Chris Osgood might have been the perfect goalie for the Red Wings, but he was a very good goalie, one of the best in post-season history too. Just interesting how that has played out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Belfour has those couple of Vezina's in the early 90's part of which are due to his fan-fare in Chicago and then Dallas. Eddie the Eagle he is the best. I never thought he was better than Ozzie, I always thought we had an advantage heads up.

I think Osgood is criminally undervalued, but... this is where we differentiate.

Belfour was a machine in his day. A gamebreaker. The fanfare in Chicago was because he single-handedly would carry the team, ala Hasek in Buffalo. His time in Dallas cemented that he could carry a team in the playoffs, as well. In both 1999 and 2000 he was the team MVP. I know Joe Nieuwendyk won the trophy, but believe it or not, many think that's because Belfour actually had a contentious relationship with the media. Meanwhile there's a good ol' boy like Joe with game winning goals. Immediately after Nieuwendyk received the Conn Smyth, he skated over to Belfour and had some words with him. A tip of the hat.

Then the goalie battle in 2000 between Brodeur and Belfour was insane. Two all-time greats at their peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad