Detroit Red Wings 20-21 Point Production

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Not trying to defend Detroit’s awful offensive production, but that’s probably more of a testament to how good McDavid was than how bad Detroit was.

End of the day, McDavid probably finishes his career as a top three forward offensively.

except Draisaitl isn't that far off it either, and McDavid is also only a handful of points off being ahead of the top 5 not just the top 4

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He went from a legit 1c to an incredibly average player. Biggest reason I want Blashill gone

I wouldn't go so far as to say 1C. But I'm 100% with you on getting a new coach. If there's one thing that's clear it's that Detroit's "system" stifles its own players offensive abilities probably even more than their opponents.

Lane Lambert by all accounts is a great X's and O's coach and helped Kuznetsov and Wilson break out offensively with the caps. With the amount of talented offensive players coming up to Detroit we need a coach that can help them succeed in the NHL. I want to see what he can do with a skilled crop of young players.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Bertuzzi is an important player for us, him missing the season had a huge impact on Larkin. Both he and Larkin had 7 points in the first 9 games, then he went down and Larkin proceeded to score 16 points in 35 games.

Reactions: Sentinel and izlez

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Bertuzzi is an important player for us, him missing the season had a huge impact on Larkin. Both he and Larkin had 7 points in the first 9 games, then he went down and Larkin proceeded to score 16 points in 35 games.

Definitely a valid point about Bertuzzi. What happened with Larkin? Is it just a matter of him not having any support? I can't imagine he'll actually be a 40 point player going forward given his tools...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Definitely a valid point about Bertuzzi. What happened with Larkin? Is it just a matter of him not having any support? I can't imagine he'll actually be a 40 point player going forward given his tools...
I'm not entirely sure, he was probably dealing with an injury all season. I don't expect him to be this bad next season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You start with a very bad team., then:
Bertuzzi misses 47/56 games
Fabbri misses 26/56 games
Ryan misses 23/56 games
you sell Mantha and a couple somewhat competent defenseman at the trade deadline

...you kind of expect to have a down year production wise

Reactions: kk87 and Sentinel

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Who cares how many points they scored individually? What matters is how many points they scored AS A TEAM. And that was good enough for 5th from the bottom (within 1 point of 8th from the bottom)... meaning: four teams are worse than Detroit and three more are within a point.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Who cares how many points they scored individually? What matters is how many points they scored AS A TEAM. And that was good enough for 5th from the bottom (within 1 point of 8th from the bottom)... meaning: four teams are worse than Detroit and three more are within a point.

Totally - which is actually pretty impressive. For where they're at in the rebuild, and the fact that there were so many injuries, there's nothing to be ashamed of with this season.... still a pretty crazy feat to have that little individual production though.

Reactions: Sentinel

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Last year, through 69 regular season games, only one Dallas player had exceeded 39 points.

Sometimes the offense just gets spread a bit too thin, I guess.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

A bunch of stuff, he was snake bit at times this year, at others trying to do too much by himself, no support at all from anyone else (offensively) and we are pretty sure he was playing hurt for a good stretch before missing the last 12 games or so. Mantha only scored 11 goals in 42 games for us, and that was team lead in goals before he got traded. The other thing with our whole team is the lack of anything close to an offensive/PP quarterback on the blueline which hurts any team regardless of talent up front. Hronek is fine, but he isn't a top pair guy, and straight offence isn't his game.

Also wanted to add, that it is easy for other teams to smother our top offensive line, because we don't have one. Imagine trying to get pts against the Hedmans and Slavins of our division this year with an 11 goal scorer riding shotgun.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Detroit let in fewer goals than 11 other teams. That's how.

Yes, but some of that is a little bit good goaltending and luck as were doubled up on chances and shots in a lot of our close games this year. We didn't play as good as our record indicated as a team.

Busher

May 17, 2021
When was the last time a team’s leading scorer had less than 26 points? I’m guessing at least the 1940s? This must be some kind of modern day record.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yikes. I knew it was pretty bad over there, but that's just harsh.

Well, they seem a lot better defensively and in goal this season than last, so that's positive. Detroit needs to have a competitive team.

Man, the line-ups of Detroit, Buffalo, and (esp.) Anaheim are examples of how the League is stretched too thin right now. Should not be adding expansion teams.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
When was the last time a team’s leading scorer had less than 26 points? I’m guessing at least the 1940s? This must be some kind of modern day record.

even in the 48 game 2012-13 lockout year where in addition to there being 8 less games league scoring was also ~8% lower the worst was 28

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Take solace in the fact that Washington’s management went full Pejorative Slur mode and made the Mantha for Vrana+ trade.

Easily the worst of the season that the wings took advantage of.

Reactions: ZadinaN11

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2