Detroit Red Wings 20-21 Point Production

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
No, no you've got it wrong.

Stick Larkin on McDavid's wing and he'll score 50goals and 105pts. When he's not on the wing, he's going to play 2C, develop a German accent, have an HHOF worthy backhand, and feast on lesser opposition and score 110pts.

Think you clicked the wrong thread bud.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I'm really disappointed that anybody thinks anybody could take a step forward offensively in a system of, "Defense them to death and pray you win 1-0."

I agree Trashill is not the best but that's still not an excuse. His shot got worse (must be drinking the same water as Larkin) and not much creativity out there when he was in the offensive zone.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I agree Trashill is not the best but that's still not an excuse. His shot got worse (must be drinking the same water as Larkin) and not much creativity out there when he was in the offensive zone.

It's also weird that people rip Blashill but are also mad that his system kept us from being at the very bottom, lol.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
It's also weird that people rip Blashill but are also mad that his system kept us from being at the very bottom, lol.

I don’t think it has as much to do with the system as it does to having two hot goalies.

If this team had average goaltending this year, it didn’t matter if the wings parked the bus, they still would have conceded and lost a handful more of games.

Hot goaltending really masked a lot of their defensive deficiencies and boosted their finally ranking in the standings.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don’t think it has as much to do with the system as it does to having two hot goalies.

If this team had average goaltending this year, it didn’t matter if the wings parked the bus, they still would have conceded and lost a handful more of games.

Hot goaltending really masked a lot of their defensive deficiencies and boosted their finally ranking in the standings.

That's not accurate, like at all.

The Wings cut the good scoring chances, particularly at ES, against to about 1/4 of what they were last year. They cut high danger chances to about 1/5 of what they were. They absolutely changed how they played defensively. Bernier was basically the same goalie this year he was last year and for about half of this season, Greiss was terrible. He snapped back late and looked really good, but there was a big chunk of time when Greiss couldn't stop a becah ball. I love reading bullshit by people who have no clue about what they're talking about.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Here's a stat that shows how bad the Red Wings have been (and how good McDavid has been):

Connor McDavid has become the first and only player in NHL history(*) to singlehandedly score more points than another team's top four point producers. He scored 105 points, while Hronek, Larkin, Mantha and Erne combined for 90 points.

(* Technically this was also done in 1918, the NHL's first season, as one of the franchises folded after a few games - but I don't think that really counts).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Here's a stat that shows how bad the Red Wings have been (and how good McDavid has been):

Connor McDavid has become the first and only player in NHL history(*) to singlehandedly score more points than another team's top four point producers. He scored 105 points, while Hronek, Larkin, Mantha and Erne combined for 90 points.

(* Technically this was also done in 1918, the NHL's first season, as one of the franchises folded after a few games - but I don't think that really counts).

Not trying to defend Detroit’s awful offensive production, but that’s probably more of a testament to how good McDavid was than how bad Detroit was.

End of the day, McDavid probably finishes his career as a top three forward offensively.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hopefully Stevie Y at least pretends to try this season.
You should try learning something about the team before posting such an ignorant comment.

He made several moves that improved the team this past offseason. They're just that lacking in talent and keep getting screwed in the draft. They also had multiple key injuries.

Yet somehow Columbus, Buffalo, Anaheim and New Jersey are all behind them in the standings.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Not trying to defend Detroit’s awful offensive production, but that’s probably more of a testament to how good McDavid was than how bad Detroit was.

Maybe and the current climate, because the Ducks top 5 scorer have 105 points, one point or one trade away of one them to be on that list has well.

When Gretzky scored 215 points in 85-86, the top 4 scorer of the worst offensive team (Detroit at the time) had 255 points.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
This is what happens when you have a horrible coach that plays trap hockey that somehow has lasted 6 years. Look at the 4 major sports, you'll never find such a bad coach that has managed to keep his job for so long and we are 8 days after the season and no word on if he's coming back. What a joke.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is what happens when you have a horrible coach that plays trap hockey that somehow has lasted 6 years. Look at the 4 major sports, you'll never find such a bad coach that has managed to keep his job for so long and we are 8 days after the season and no word on if he's coming back. What a joke.
Yzerman has left Blashill in place for 2 seasons now. Can't say I blame him for doing that. It was going to be a tough 3/4 years when Yzerman took over to begin the 18-19 season. Probably felt that the prospects in the system weren't that great and kept Blashill around knowing that these 2 seasons would be tough, thus not burning one of his coaching hires during this part of the rebuild.

But, his guys like Seider and Raymond are coming next season, so it may very well be time to pick his coach.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yzerman has left Blashill in place for 2 seasons now. Can't say I blame him for doing that. It was going to be a tough 3/4 years when Yzerman took over to begin the 18-19 season. Probably felt that the prospects in the system weren't that great and kept Blashill around knowing that these 2 seasons would be tough, thus not burning one of his coaching hires during this part of the rebuild.

But, his guys like Seider and Raymond are coming next season, so it may very well be time to pick his coach.

Brad Lambert is in the playoffs right now. NYI just won in OT today against Pittsburgh. We may be waiting a few more weeks.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
That's not accurate, like at all.

The Wings cut the good scoring chances, particularly at ES, against to about 1/4 of what they were last year. They cut high danger chances to about 1/5 of what they were. They absolutely changed how they played defensively. Bernier was basically the same goalie this year he was last year and for about half of this season, Greiss was terrible. He snapped back late and looked really good, but there was a big chunk of time when Greiss couldn't stop a becah ball. I love reading bullshit by people who have no clue about what they're talking about.

When your goalies are basically carrying an offensively anemic team after getting bombarded with shots night in and out. Have one of the worst corsi against and fenwick against stats in the league. But sure the superb goaltending had nothing to do with it.

Greiss had a rough start to the year and I guess you don’t remember that during his awful start Detroit scored a league worst “Goals for” while he was in the crease.

I don’t care how amazing of a coaching system you think the coach implemented. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that the system helped hinder the onslaught, but without amazing goaltending this team would be way further down the final standings.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They didnt score a lot this year, I think a big part of that was having literally only Hronek as a dman that can move the puck. They also clamped it down defensively this year. They improved by like half a goal per game from last year and actually finished in the middle of the pack in goals against.

Definitely not great, but significantly improved product from last year

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
When trying to discern the cause of COVID you should ask yourself “who benefits?”

Last year when the league shutdown the Red Wings were on pace to finish with the worst record of the century, undercutting Colorado’s 48 points in 16-17.

We are though the Looking Glass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->