Detroit Red Wings 20-21 Point Production

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Disclaimer: I love how the Wings are approaching their rebuild, and I think Yzerman and co. are doing a great job assembling pieces that'll make the team competitive within a few years.

...but, h o l y s h * t - I think it deserves to be talked about how utterly abysmal this year's team was offensively. That's not even a knock on them; it's genuinely incredible.

Top 3 scorers still on the roster (see full breakdown here):
Hronek5622426
Larkin4491324
Erne4511920
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
With injuries to Fabbri and Larkin, and the fact that Vrana joined at the TDL, this team could've very conceivably not had a single player score 40 or more points (for the Wings) this year. Again, you almost have to tip your cap to them for going scorched earth with this rebuild, but man... that's just appalling.

Has this ever happened before? Who else is in the running, historically, for worst offensive team? I feel like even the worst, lowest scoring teams usually have one or two guys that carry most of the weight. Any other close comparables?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Bertuzzi doesn't even get a mention?

He was scoring at a 45 goal pace before going down

Reactions: Ulysses31

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Their leading scorer didn't score a single goal on a goalie this year.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
They're still slightly better offensively than Anaheim (2.23 GPG v. 2.21 GPG), last year Wings were even worse (over 1 GPG less than league average, 2GPG, lol).

Reactions: Sentinel

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I said it somewhere else that they were a lot worse then what they finished in the standings. Not even a single guy within three points of thirty. Terrible. Don’t know how they didn’t finish last by a margin

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think it's clear Dylan Larkin shouldn't be a #1 C on a cup contender. Seems like the perfect #2. Wow has he ever regressed.

Hard to believe I once made a thread asking if him for Draisaitl would be a fair trade for both.

Yikes.

No, no you've got it wrong.

Stick Larkin on McDavid's wing and he'll score 50goals and 105pts. When he's not on the wing, he's going to play 2C, develop a German accent, have an HHOF worthy backhand, and feast on lesser opposition and score 110pts.

Reactions: Pointteen

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think it's clear Dylan Larkin shouldn't be a #1 C on a cup contender. Seems like the perfect #2. Wow has he ever regressed.

Hard to believe I once made a thread asking if him for Draisaitl would be a fair trade for both.

Yikes.
I hesitate to judge Larkin too harshly considering the situation. But yes, he’s always been more of a #2C who could be a #1C if the surroundings are right.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yikes.

He hasn't regressed. He was playing hurt this year from what we can tell and on top of that his regular running mate Anthony Mantha scored 10 goals for the Wings this year, how on earth do you pick up points with your top offensive guy chipping in 10 goals? Also, Bertuzzi being out hurt our top line even more. Larkin wasn't good this year, but laying the blame solely on him isn't fair. We also don't have a true offensive blueliner which hurts any teams offence. Hronek is good for what he is, but offence alone is not his forte and after that our most offensive guy this year, was Marc Staal.

Reactions: wings95

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, no you've got it wrong.

Stick Larkin on McDavid's wing and he'll score 50goals and 105pts. When he's not on the wing, he's going to play 2C, develop a German accent, have an HHOF worthy backhand, and feast on lesser opposition and score 110pts.

No Wing fan ever suggested such ridiculousness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad