Speculation: Detroit mini fire sale

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit is in worse shape than I thought

Err, not really. Their cap situation is blown way out of proportion. They'll have 14 signed before dealing with Larkin/Mantha/AA/Bert/Frk. They'll have about $29M to sign those five and fill out the rest of the roster. (Assuming $80M cap and adding the Franzen LTIR. Those five at the very most would cost $20M combined. Then factor in that Rasmussen probably makes the team at ELC salary, and one of Hronek/Cholo/Pope may also make it. Their bad contracts start expiring one per year two years from now, and they don't have anybody that will demand big money from now to then.

As for their future talent, they've already got their "Supporting cast" built. Their future relies heavily on drafting core pieces over the next few years. Of course, that's easier said than done, but if they can make it happen, I think it'll be a very sudden turn from garbage team to being back in the mix.

Larkin continuing on his current development path would be a tremendous step in the right direction. If he can be a poor man's Bergeron, Detroit's in good shape at center.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I’d offer 2nd (32nd)+Jake McCabe for AA from Buffalo. Can swap McCabe for a 3rd.

Or... A Nylander+2nd for Nyquist and AA.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Probably at least a late 1st if not more?

Interesting... that’s decently close to what I had in mind.

We have a high 2nd this year (40th overall). What I had in mind was that pick plus another piece. Either a decent prospect (Lagesson, Rasanen, Safin) or our 2019 2nd or maybe a roster player (Kassian, Aberg, Caggiula).

If the base was that 2nd, what would you expect the plus to be?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think the situations are different. Tatar had term, Nyquist has a year left. Also the Vegas 1st is a late (now really late) 1st. Plus a future 2nd, that doesn’t touch a top 10 pick.

They're definitely different. Tatar has the term and is younger, but Nyquist is the better player. But Tatar got the 1st plus the 2nd and third.

... And I'd be very surprised if Vegas is nearly as good next year as this year. Then again, I'm surprised they're this good this year.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting... that’s decently close to what I had in mind.

We have a high 2nd this year (40th overall). What I had in mind was that pick plus another piece. Either a decent prospect (Lagesson, Rasanen, Safin) or our 2019 2nd or maybe a roster player (Kassian, Aberg, Caggiula).

If the base was that 2nd, what would you expect the plus to be?

I'd be fine with 40th+. Not sure Detroit would want a roster forward back as they are looking to add Rasmussen and likely Svechnikov and Turgeon to the roster. I'd be happy with 2018 + 2019 2nd; its what I wanted for Nyquist this past deadline. Wings beat writer, Ansar Khan, stated that the Wings want to evaluate signing/trading Nyquist mid-season, so we will see what Detroit's plans are

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Lol why are Wings fans trying to give away AA for a 2nd round pick? If that's all you can get you keep him and hope he increases his value as he matures and refines his game. They just traded a far less talented player in Tomas Tatar who makes 4X as much for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd. There is absolutely no chance they would settle for a 2nd round pick for AA right now.

I agree with the bolded part. I'd rather see the Red Wings get a top 4 D in the same age range or a good D prospect in exchange for AA. I think a better indicator of value would be the Jurco trade, where a 24YO once highly touted "talented" winger who hadn't done much in 3 seasons fetched a late 3rd. By that standard, AA is probably worth more than a 2nd by itself.

As far as hanging onto AA and value is concerned, that's a two way street. If they keep him around, they also roll the dice on him simply settling in as an inconsistent one dimensional middle 6 winger, or worse, he pulls a Sheahan and has an awful season that tanks his value.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sabres could give you a B prospect and a 4th for AA.

This is the problem with trading with Detroit. Mid level picks and prospects are of little use to them. They have plenty of B prospect/B players under the age of 25. For lack of a better way of putting it, their, "Supporting cast" is already rebuilt. They just lack any core/elite players, excepting maybe Larkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad