Friedman: Detroit looking to move Tomas Jurco

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Jurco has gone down to the AHL a couple times for conditioning stints, and killed it at the AHL level. He produces very well at that level. He is ready for a shot on the bottom 6 of any team, and is an NHL talent.

Sounds like several posters here have mild interest in Jurco. I think Detroit would be willing to trade him for a fair price.

Most Red Wings fans will be ok with trading Jurco kinda out of the same kind of sadness Toronto is seeing with Corrado right now.
He is getting no chance in Detroit, and has been passed by others in the system. (We are very strong Forward Depth)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Jurco for Chiasson. Or Wotherspoon. Maybe Poirier.

No, Detroit has too many bodies. Anything from a 3rd to a 5th would do.

As long as your team is looking to use him in a 3rd line scoring role, he should be good for you. After his great rookie year, Detroit tried to turn him into another Abdelkader when he's a textbook skill player. That's the type of chance he needs.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yep. Babcock and Blashill tried to make Jurco into another Abdelkader just because he has size. His game was never about hitting people and going to corner and win puck battles.

Just like how Babcock wanted to translate every young D prospects into a defensive defense man even if their strength suited more towards offensive puck moving D.

Granted, every one it works with is worth 3 it didn't work with. Jake Gardiner for example. And anyways, I don't think you can put too much weight on a coach ruining a player at that stage in their career

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jurco never really got back after he hurt his back. I like him a great deal, especially when he was healthy and had some physicality in his game. It just didn't work out in Detroit, I wish him well and I hope the change of scenery helps him.

There really is a lot to like in the package and he seems like a solid off the ice guy after all the years in the organization. I don't think he has necessarily realized the work he needs to put in everyday though the injuries have certainly hurt. But still he seems to not get the consistency issues both Babcock and now Blashill seemed to have with him. He has been given chances, he hasn't really run with them in my opinion at least not since he had the big back half in his rookie year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Devils have an extra 3rd this year. I'd send it over.

I'm not sure you do. NJ's 3rd was conditional as part of the Ruutu deal and while the conditions were never stated publicly, last year when the Canes PR guy (Mike Smith) was specifically asked via Twitter, he said definitively that the Canes have that pick. That's the only thing I could ever find on that pick, but given that it came directly from a Hurricanes employee, I would be a bit surprised if he was wrong.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I'm not sure you do. NJ's 3rd was conditional as part of the Ruutu deal and while the conditions were never stated publicly, last year when the Canes PR guy (Mike Smith) was specifically asked via Twitter, he said definitively that the Canes have that pick.

And even if that is the case (which, again, is fairly unconfirmed), we have Colorado's 3rd and potentially Toronto's this year as well.

Point is we have the picks in the next two years.. and I'd be surprised if the Canes pick was a given at this point when no-one has ever reported the conditions.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Canes seem to be the home for Detroit's wayward forwards. I wouldn't give up much for him at all though, as I'm not sure he's NHL material.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jaskin and Jurco are similiar players imo.

I think Jurco when healthy is a better skater, which matter a lot in today's game. Actually think Jaskin has higher end skill.

Honestly for Jurco I think he is better off heading over to the KHL in a big picture way. He will get his top 6 time and be a big player on one of those teams. His body won't be asked to handle the NHL schedule. I really think he will be a stud in that league and could likely make more than if he stays and keeps trying to carve out a bottom six role in the NHL.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And even if that is the case (which, again, is fairly unconfirmed), we have Colorado's 3rd and potentially Toronto's this year as well.

Point is we have the picks in the next two years.. and I'd be surprised if the Canes pick was a given at this point when no-one has ever reported the conditions.

My point was, it's not a certainty that NJ has extra picks this year. I never said it was a done deal. As far as "no-one ever reported the conditions, IIRC, Lou never gave that info out and the Canes rarely do either. Anyhow, like I said, you "I'm not sure you do" (which means it's not a certainty), based on what an employee for one of the NHL teams in question tweeted. If you have credible information to the contrary, please provide it.

Just curious as I don't follow the Devil's closely. How do you potentially have the Leafs pick this year? I thought the Leafs 3rd round pick already went to Detroit as compensation for hiring Babcock?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
My point was, it's not a certainty that NJ has extra picks this year. I never said it was a done deal. As far as "no-one ever reported the conditions, IIRC, Lou never gave that info out and the Canes rarely do either. Anyhow, like I said, you "I'm not sure you do" (which means it's not a certainty), based on what an employee for one of the NHL teams in question tweeted. If you have credible information to the contrary, please provide it.

Just curious as I don't follow the Devil's closely. How do you potentially have the Leafs pick this year? I thought the Leafs 3rd round pick already went to Detroit as compensation for hiring Babcock?

I'm not going to take a random employee's word for it, honestly. I'd do the same thing if it was in favor of the Devils. The only media source I'd take as a solo source would be McKenzie, Friedman, et al. Given no-one else has commented on knowing the condition or result of the condition, I'm not sure it's been set yet. These things are fairly commonly reported by big media guys when they are decided.

Toronto's pick may also be fuzzy as they owe us compensation for hiring Lou. I've seen reports that it would automatically be Detroit's this year and ours next year based on the hiring order but not sure I've seen it confirmed by anyone other than a salary cap website. It would make sense that way as Toronto shouldn't be able to pick who to give it to.. so the Devils will likely wait until next year for that one.

The Ruutu pick is weird as based on its timing, it was likely linked to either a performance trigger for Ruutu or whether or not we re-signed Ruutu. Or if the Devils made the playoffs. I can't think of a condition that the Devils would have hit in this trade unless it was tied to the Canes re-signing Loktionov 3 years ago (which makes the timing fairy odd). I think the jury is going to be out on this one until closer to the draft.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm not going to take a random employee's word for it, honestly. I'd do the same thing if it was in favor of the Devils. The only media source I'd take as a solo source would be McKenzie, Friedman, et al. Given no-one else has commented on knowing the condition or result of the condition, I'm not sure it's been set yet. These things are fairly commonly reported by big media guys when they are decided.

I'm fine with that. I'm not telling you to take the word. I'm simply saying you MAY not have that extra pick this year and gave you the reason why. Maybe you will have it, but it's not a certainty and that's all I'm saying. These things are not reported for every deal. We've been surprised in the past from a Canes standpoint where we had no clue.

EDIT: and just to be clear, the guy who tweeted it, Mike Smith, isn't a "Random Employee" He's the Senior web producer and a writer for the Canes. Pretty much every news story on Carolina Hurricanes.com is written by him. It's not like it's some hack who is tweeting things he shouldn't be. I'm not telling you you need to take his word for it (since none of us know the conditions of the pick), just clarifying who it was that tweeted it.

Toronto's pick may also be fuzzy as they owe us compensation for hiring Lou. I've seen reports that it would automatically be Detroit's this year and ours next year based on the hiring order but not sure I've seen it confirmed by anyone other than a salary cap website. It would make sense that way as Toronto shouldn't be able to pick who to give it to.. so the Devils will likely wait until next year for that one.

Ah, thanks. I forgot about Lou. A quick search show it's been reported that it's 2017 for the Wings and 2018 for the Devils.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-lou-lamoriello-new-jersey-detroit-red-wings/

The Ruutu pick is weird as based on its timing, it was likely linked to either a performance trigger for Ruutu or whether or not we re-signed Ruutu. Or if the Devils made the playoffs. I can't think of a condition that the Devils would have hit in this trade unless it was tied to the Canes re-signing Loktionov 3 years ago (which makes the timing fairy odd). I think the jury is going to be out on this one until closer to the draft.

We surmised it was either a games played (due to injury history) and he played pretty much all of them after the trade and 77 the following year -or- something contingent upon Loktionov re-signing. All speculation though as it was never reported, and like I said, the only thing we ever saw on it was the Canes PR guy tweeting out that the Canes had the pick.

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'd take a chance on him as a Canuck fan. He can't be any worse than any of Magna, Skille, Boucher or Chaput. Rodin is a huge question mark. Why not take a chance for a mid round pick. I think 10% of third rounders play 2 full seasons in the NHL. He obviously has a skill set.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would be interesting to see what he would add to NYR.

We already have Pirri and Puempel

don't see F or D prospects acceptable, except for a couple I'd prefer to keep.

Do Wings want a good G prospect?
Brad Halverson
for
Jurco and conditional Wings 5th, if NYR does not have him on the big club roster next year.

We have ample prospects in net, so Halvy is expendable.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think Tomas Jurco would be a perfect fit with the Oilers bottom 6th, 2017 3rd round pick and he's yours.

I've always like Jurco and have no doubt he would thrive on the Oilers but they already have their share of young right shot wingers who are starting to show themselves as NHL players. Both Slepshyev and Pitlick (before injury) have shown as capable bottom 6ers in addition to a guy like Lander. Khaira is another young guy who probably deserves a shot.

There's just no room for him.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

The 3rd Toronto owes Detroit comes this summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad