Detroit is the worst team 3 on 3 in the last 2 years

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
I can see why you would respond to me with this after looking at my post in a bubble as I probably sounded like an ass. My point was to point out the hyperbole in a statement made by a poster who does just that with pretty much every single post that they make.

Oh yours was just the post I happened to read in a particular mood to produce an overwrought wall of text, ha, not like I'm any better on either side of the aisle, swinging wildly my hyperbolics and making perilous leaps in logic. Plus it's just fun sometimes to jump in the ring and bash a fellow poster with a blob of words to keep the match going a little longer, whether deserved or not. :naughty:

Reactions: kliq

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Given the chart he has tried both which is really the truth. I have seen Blashill turn to the youth and get curb stomped. Now we can want him just to keep going back there, but I am a little tired of the narrative he hasn't tried it. We have lost that way as well when being honest. There is potentially more upside to it as long as you don't subscribe to the developing terrible habits angle. I just think it is a little tired to blame all of it on him. Our struggles in overtime as has been pointed out in this thread with stats is really team wide and it is because we are not a very talented team. You cannot turn chicken **** into chicken salad all the time.
To be clear I wasn't blaming it all on him. By pick your poison I meant he was kind of screwed either way he went.

But I agree going with the kids does have potential upside. You just hope they learn from those mistakes and we as fans need to accept there's gonna be some brutal learning moments.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Wasn’t twisting anything. MY point was the team is satisfied with even being in OT to begin with not their strategy is to only get to OT. Two different things entirely.
And yet you're still twisting. You're trying to paint the picture by claiming the team is 'satisfied' with said scenario. As if it's not on game by game basis and as if the team doesn't do accordingly to what every other team does based on where they stand in a given game going into the third.

This is just the nature of the league do to its rules. If they adopted a 3 point system, there might be more incentive to drive for the win in the third but as it stands, every team will try and squeeze out the point as their first priority.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
We have gotten crushed with pretty much everyone on the ice. The reality is we are not a very good team, giving the better team more space results in us losing more often. Not earth shattering. I think some of our younger guys will get better, but I have watched AA and Mantha get stuffed in the offensive zone only to pick the puck out of their net. I mean AA scored six seconds into an overtime. He doesn't always do that and a part of seeing a bunch of ideas on this is well we stink at it...

I think it will improve some. Again, Larkin has talked about this a few times since the new year and in the off-season. I think it is a focus and that dude improves at whatever he is focusing on. AA taking a consistency step in his game would also probably get him a little more run in OT. But again we have gotten burned a lot in transition. Our guys need to make better shooting decisions and be harder on the puck in the corner.

Also our now decade long stupidity in changing lines and getting caught with too many men is a problem in OT as well in my opinion. We get caught trying to make just really dumb changes in OT at times. I still will never understand how this became a problem under Babcock and hasn't gone away.

You're hitting the nail on the head with this and your other posts. To me it boils down to Larkin making smarter decisions reading the play. He was left looking to the sky or smashing his stick far too many times. Mantha and AA are guilty too. I agree with everything you guys are saying, they can only improve. Just like for a year we were the worst shootout team- they obviously addressed it and were much better.

The Wings aren't great and most expect to take another high draft position but still, their OT losses have been absolutely ridiculous and need to improve.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Are you ****ing daft? The whole reason that Chicago moved any of those guys was because they couldn’t pay them. They took 30 cents on the dollar, if that, on premier assets because they borked their cap so bad.

They HAD to trade Sharp when he was still like 0.80 PPG along with a nice young piece because they needed his 6M off the books. They got precisely dick for him.

They had to trade away a cost controlled top 6C in Teravainen so Carolina would take Bickell, again, because they needed cap space.

They traded Panarin for Saad because Panarin wanted too much money so they traded for a cheaper and worse replacement.

They just traded away Hinostroza along with other pieces to get Hossa’s deal off their books.

Chicago pissed away good players for virtually no return but cap space. Also... they’ve got two contracts on their books I’d say are now a good deal worse than any Detroit has.

Toews at 10.5 till 2023
Seabrook at 6.875 till 2024

Toews is debatable because he’s their captain and he was a huge part of the three Cups they did win... but he hasn’t been that near PPG #1C for several years and guys normally don’t pick it up as they approach and surpass 30. And 10.5M is a f’ing boatload of cap space.

Seabrook sucks NOW and is locked in until 2024 at #2D money.
All that said and we are still worse off than Chicago and are still THE OLDEST TEAM IN THE NHL....

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
All that said and we are still worse off than Chicago and are still THE OLDEST TEAM IN THE NHL....
Are we worse off than Chicago?

It's not like they're a contender still.
Keith is 35 with 5 years left on his deal, Seabrook locked up till he's nearly 40, their goalie was trying to walk more than train this off-season. They seem like a team headed for years of perpetual mediocrity and were coming out of those years.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Keith is 35 with 5 years left on his deal, Seabrook locked up till he's nearly 40, their goalie was trying to walk more than train this off-season. They seem like a team headed for years of perpetual mediocrity and were coming out of those years.

I dont think so, I think Chicago is where we were back in 2014.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I like how they have drafted the last few years (2016 and on). I think we both did well with this last draft.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I believe so.And Keith is better than any D we have now by far even at 35.We are older still with no high end talent like Chicago still has. We are hoping our prospects are worth anything. Some of you are just automatically pencilling in Zadina for future stardom and 40g seasons. All we have is HOPE these prospects are good. Look up posts from 2013 when everyone was on the Sproul, DD,Pulks Jurco train. All these prospects could be average players. Remember how much people were salivating over Jarnkrok? How good is he in the NHL?

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

We're coming out of those years?

Don't get me wrong I hope these prospects pan out and Holland will make the right moves but there's no real evidence the Wings are coming out of those years at this point other than potential and hope.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Don't get me wrong I hope these prospects pan out and Holland will make the right moves but there's no real evidence the Wings are coming out of those years at this point other than potential and hope.
Exactly. It’s all hope. I remember when people thought Jarnkrok was UNTOUCHABLE and going to be a No.1 C in the nhl future Zetterberg replacement. :facepalm:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I like how they have drafted the last few years (2016 and on). I think we both did well with this last draft.
Me too. No one in Chicago is trading places with the Red Wings and I say this with distain for the Blackhawks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I believe so.And Keith is better than any D we have now by far even at 35.We are older still with no high end talent like Chicago still has. We are hoping our prospects are worth anything. Some of you are just automatically pencilling in Zadina for future stardom and 40g seasons. All we have is HOPE these prospects are good. Look up posts from 2013 when everyone was on the Sproul, DD,Pulks Jurco train. All these prospects could be average players. Remember how much people were salivating over Jarnkrok? How good is he in the NHL?
After z and Franzen are no longer on the active roster our average age will drop.

Congrats, you've just listed an undrafted player and a bunch of non first round picks, such insight

Just because they're better right now doesn't mean they're better off.
Everyone around here would love to be the hawks with 2 straight first round exits and a did not qualify the past 3 season (edit: forgot they missed for a minute)!!!! Sounds like we lived this a couple years ago, actually.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
After z and Franzen are no longer on the active roster our average age will drop.

Congrats, you've just listed an undrafted player and a bunch of non first round picks, such insight

Just because they're better right now doesn't mean they're better off.
Everyone around here would love to be the hawks with 2 straight first round exits!!!! Sounds like we lived this a couple years ago, actually.
Chicago had over 100pts 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Won the Stanley cup three years ago. Have young stars Schmaltz ( same caliber as Larkin btw) DeBrincat already almost a 30 goal scorer. They had one down season. They lost in the first round to a team that almost won the cup. No way are the Red wings in a better spot than Chicago just stop...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't understand what point you are trying to make?
How is Chicago like the redwings in 2014? Kane is still on their roster under 30 and a league MVP along with a host of other young players. They had one down year.All we have is HOPE about our prospects.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Chicago had over 100pts 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Won the Stanley cup three years ago. Have young stars Schmaltz ( same caliber as Larkin btw) DeBrincat already almost a 30 goal scorer. They had one down season. They lost in the first round to a team that almost won the cup. No way are the Red wings in a better spot than Chicago just stop...

Great doesn't put them in a better position than us going forward. They have some really bad deals that our bad deals can't even come close to touching.

You're not going to teach me about the Blackhawks, I'm quite well versed in my hometown team.

The fact that you call schmaltz the same caliber as Larkin is telling, dude is a few months older and was stapled to Pat Kane all year, I bet Larkin does better than 52 in 78.
Wait he drove a line and did better.

We'l know for sure in a few years of the hawks core can squeeze another one, I don't like their odds. Agree to disagree.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Great doesn't put them in a better position than us going forward. They have some really bad deals that our bad deals can't even come close to touching.

You're not going to teach me about the Blackhawks, I'm quite well versed in my hometown team.

The fact that you call schmaltz the same caliber as Larkin is telling, dude is a few months older and was stapled to Pat Kane all year, I bet Larkin does better than 52 in 78.
Wait he drove a line and did better.

We'l know for sure in a few years of the hawks core can squeeze another one, I don't like their odds. Agree to disagree.
A few months? Really? Lol. That’s worth noting? Anyway. I hate The Blackhawks but the fact remains they are better now , going forward until proven otherwise and have better overall talent on their team. They have one down year and you think the wings have leapfrogged them? They finished better than Detroit. Like I said throughout the years this message board is infamous for OVERVALUING their own prospects. All you need to do is look at any thread about our prospects pool <3years ago. We are in 2018 when all these kids are new shiny cars we’ll see what they are in 2022.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Pretty much this. The only thing we seem to be coming out of with any hint of improvement is shootouts.

We've had some players make individual improvements, but as a whole? Nope, not even close.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Dude one down year? They have 3 playoff wins in 3 seasons, wings had 4 playoff wins the two seasons before the streak ended. The central is way better top to bottom than the Atlantic was 3 years ago, they have already had to downgrade players and bring back retreads like Sharp to accommodate their money, their trajectory is very wings-like. It's like the "should've rebuilt in 2014" crowd's argument living in front of our very eyes

Their goalie might not be ready for training camp because he has vertigo and shit, Cam Ward will probably be in net. Go look at his stats next to Jimmy Howard's the last 6 seasons.
If Chicago makes the playoffs this year I'll be extremely surprised. More likely to have a new GM soon than another cup.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

We're coming out of being a Calgary Flames-esque organization, yes. A team that is too good to bottom out and not good enough to compete.
We've sunk below mediocrity. I didn't mean we were definitely on the upswing.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Dude one down year? They have 3 playoff wins in 3 seasons, wings had 4 playoff wins the two seasons before the streak ended. The central is way better top to bottom than the Atlantic was 3 years ago, they have already had to downgrade players and bring back retreads like Sharp to accommodate their money, their trajectory is very wings-like. It's like the "should've rebuilt in 2014" crowd's argument living in front of our very eyes

Their goalie might not be ready for training camp because he has vertigo and ****, Cam Ward will probably be in net. Go look at his stats next to Jimmy Howard's the last 6 seasons.
If Chicago makes the playoffs this year I'll be extremely surprised. More likely to have a new GM soon than another cup.
Chicago has 3 of the greatest players in NHL history still on their roster... Kane isn’t even 30. Toews is 30. They had 100+ points two years ago. Die on a different hill man. Go look at the odds to win the cup and wins/losses projections Chi is better than the Wings going forward. All we have is hope these kids are any good. I’m speaking all facts yours are solely wishes and “projections”. I want the Wings to win the cup every year but we have to keep it real they aren’t good at all and our future is resting on 18 year olds that haven’t played an NHL game, Chicago has current STARS and great young talent ALREADY producing at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
My argument is that Chicago is going to be stuck in mediocrity for years due to their GM doing the same things KH was doing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, thus making us in better shape than them going forward.

You've been arguing who the better team is for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad