Detroit is the worst team 3 on 3 in the last 2 years

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You can’t have it both ways man lol. “Kane is trending downwards Chicago has a long road ahead”then in the same breathe only reason “Schmaltz is putting up points is because he is glued with Kane”. Lol?

Kane is a fabulous player. He also hasn't scored as many points in the last two years as he did before. You can still be a superstar and also be declining. You can still prop up a guy's stats and be declining. Justin Abdelkader got a 7x4.25 deal almost entirely because he played on a line with Pavel Datsyuk, who was still an AMAZING player in the mid 2010s, but was also unquestionably declining. It's not having it both ways. Kane as he enters his 30s is not going to be able to carry a bad roster. He can still carry a line in a big way, but he'll cease to be such a weapon that teams literally can't stop.

Larkin scored so much early in his first season because he was stapled to Z. His numbers went down when he was taken away from Z. Try telling me that Henrik Zetterberg wasn't in full, irreversible decline by the time Larkin got here.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Im only ignoring Rasmussen and Zadina because they aren’t NHL players yet. A year from now I might change my stance. As of today I can’t see how someone can legitimately without bias say Detroit’s future looks better than Chicago. If you’ve noticed I haven’t mentioned any of Chicago’s many prospects as well. And I also want to state that I hate the Blackhawks with a passion but I’m not going to just lie because the Red wings are my favourite team.

The reasoning for that is Chicago has no flexibility at all for the next 5 years. Their roster is basically locked in. Detroit is losing, what, 38M in the next two years in aged players, probably about 20M of that going to players who will improve the roster by not being on it anymore. Detroit next offseason will have the cap space to land Erik Karlsson if he's on the market. They'll have the ability to make trades utilizing high picks to get young, high caliber players. You're underestimating Chicago's cap issues. They're not necessarily capped out but in terms of material additions, they can't make them without drastically changing the makeup of their roster. That's why Detroit likely has a brighter future. Detroit in two years will have the flexibility to remake their roster however they see fit. Whereas Chicago is still going to have 3 years left on several awful deals.

It is entirely possible that the Wings bork it up and Chicago lucks into a game-changer/deals Seabrook's contract away/does something else material that affects them in a good way. But if I had to bet, I'd put money on Detroit coming back before Chicago wins another Cup. Their roster is not good enough to challenge for one as we sit here and they don't have the ability to materially improve it to where it would be without some drastic event happening.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The reasoning for that is Chicago has no flexibility at all for the next 5 years. Their roster is basically locked in. Detroit is losing, what, 38M in the next two years in aged players, probably about 20M of that going to players who will improve the roster by not being on it anymore. Detroit next offseason will have the cap space to land Erik Karlsson if he's on the market. They'll have the ability to make trades utilizing high picks to get young, high caliber players. You're underestimating Chicago's cap issues. They're not necessarily capped out but in terms of material additions, they can't make them without drastically changing the makeup of their roster. That's why Detroit likely has a brighter future. Detroit in two years will have the flexibility to remake their roster however they see fit. Whereas Chicago is still going to have 3 years left on several awful deals.

It is entirely possible that the Wings bork it up and Chicago lucks into a game-changer/deals Seabrook's contract away/does something else material that affects them in a good way. But if I had to bet, I'd put money on Detroit coming back before Chicago wins another Cup. Their roster is not good enough to challenge for one as we sit here and they don't have the ability to materially improve it to where it would be without some drastic event happening.
I don’t trust KH with cap space.

Reactions: Mlotek

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Kane in a “down year” still averaged nearly a PPG. He would clearly be our best player going forward and it isn’t even close... Schmaltz and DeBrincat did more in the NHL as rookies combined than Tatar and Nyquist did

Yes, that is correct. This is one of the reasons why Chicago is better then Detroit right now. We have established this, nobody is arguing with you. Do you want to add the Keith at 35 is better then DD? You do realize that your points are not countering anything I am saying....right?

For the record, I never said anything about Nyquist's rookie season. I was talking about his 2014 season the entire time.

In 2014 Nyquist had 48 points in 57 games (0.84 points per game), was plus 16, and had a 18.3 shooting %.

Last year Schmaltz had 52 points in 78 games (0.66 points per game), was plus 1, and had a 17.8 shooting %.
Last year DeBrincat had 52 points in 82 games (0.63 points per game), was plus 6, and had a 15.5 shooting %.

They were not more impressive then Nyquist. Clearly Nyquist dropped off as he was not elite, these two just as easily will as well. In fact, like Nyquist, their shooting % seems unsustainable, I would predict a dropoff next year. Chicago is headed for a decline unless these two become elite (or others) which is highly unlikely.

Again, they are us in 2014...on the decline.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Kane
Toews
Schmaltz
Saad
DeBrincat
Of those top 5 forwards how many can you say we have better on the wings?
Larkin
Mantha
Nyquist
Nielsen
AA?
I know which core i’d rather have! And don’t throw in names like Rasmussen, Zadina etc prospects who have never played a game in the NHL...

Dude...seriously? I've read through this post with more and more incredulity. Your opponent keeps saying that he is not comparing the teams RIGHT NOW... and you keep responding by comparing the teams RIGHT NOW... what? Are you seriously not understanding?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don’t trust KH with cap space.

Then this invalidates your entire argument. That's the entire reason that Detroit is in a better spot going forward than Chicago. Chicago has this team, basically, for better or worse for the next 5 years. As evidenced by the last 3, it's not good enough to seriously contend for a Cup. And you are probably right. 17 was a down year for Chicago. More likely than not, they'll still be making the playoffs year over year. So they'll be in 2014 Detroit's shoes. Not good enough to win, too good to simply tank it... too good even to hope for lotto luck.

Detroit will finally have the cap wherewithal to rebuild their roster for the first time in the cap era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->