Detroit is the worst team 3 on 3 in the last 2 years

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Makes sense, if you take the top 3 players on every team in the league we are perhaps dead last. Add in Blashill's lack of ideas (never trying 3 forwards, refusing to play AA and Mantha as much as he should) and you have a bad result.

Can't wait to see Hronek, Zadina, Rasmussen etc. in 3-on-3. Should give us a lot better looks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really it has been Larkin and Z usually at fault in all honesty. We will search for other things to be a problem. But we have been punished often because of Z's speed and Larkin has got sucked in way too high up a few times. Larkin himself talks a lot about improving in overtime, he knows it is a problem area in his game.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Really it has been Larkin and Z usually at fault in all honesty. We will search for other things to be a problem. But we have been punished often because of Z's speed and Larkin has got sucked in way too high up a few times. Larkin himself talks a lot about improving in overtime, he knows it is a problem area in his game.
If you think this are the reasons, than it will be get better , no longer Z and Larkin will be year older. You should also add Kroner to that reason

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you think this are the reasons, than it will be get better , no longer Z and Larkin will be year older. You should also add Kroner to that reason

We have problems three on three but we have usually gotten throttled in transition. The forwards get caught up ice and the odd man rush gets buried. As much fun as it would be to dump on our D, in those scenarios putting Kronwall back to defend a 2 on 1 because we tried a low percentage play and have gotten crushed in transition is tough. Now our no offense D-man that come over the boards don't really allow a good option to pass to compounding issues but I actually think it is our forwards trying low percentage plays without the ability to get back that hurts us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Z has been like an old crafty point guard for awhile. He’s still good in a half court offense, but he can’t lead your fast break.

Dekeyser can defend 2 on 1s, but his play with the puck has been trash for awhile.

Given how much Blashill leans on those 2, I’m not surprised.

Zadina should be killer with that kind of space. Rasmussen should be tough with his reach as well.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Our 3 on 3 personnel is pretty weak as is, but it doesnt help that Blash likes to ice guys with lead feet or little offensive talent.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Given the state of our defense, there's no reason we shouldn't mostly be running three forwards. The guys who can play D are massive offensive liabilities, and the guy who can play offense can only play so many shifts.

Reactions: Go Wings

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I thought we were going to have a big advantage in the first year or two of 3 on 3. In the first AHL trial year, Blashill, Mantha, and Athanasiou all got experience with it before other NHL players did. And guys like Mantha and Athanasiou seem like they have a great skill set for 3 on 3.

Hasn't worked out that way.... and I don't think it has anything to do with Luke Glendenning starting a shift

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not surprising as someone who watched Blash make terrible decisions on who started the period, match-ups, and inability to adjust for months.

"Maybe if I trot Nyquist and Z first out again we'll win this time."
... nope.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wouldn't mind seeing the following

AA-Mantha-Green
Larkin-Zadina-Daley/Jensen
Ras-Nyquist-Daley/Jensen

Roll 4 w/short shifts:

Larkin-Mantha-Green ...45 seconds shifts
Nielsen-Nike-DDK ...30-45 second shifts
Bert-Raz-Daley...30 second shifts
AA-Vanek-Hronek/Jensen...30 second shifts

When Z makes the team he can slot in anywhere.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Roll 4 w/short shifts:

Larkin-Mantha-Green ...45 seconds shifts
Nielsen-Nike-DDK ...30-45 second shifts
Bert-Raz-Daley...30 second shifts
AA-Vanek-Hronek/Jensen...30 second shifts

When Z makes the team he can slot in anywhere.
I love the man, but I don't want Z in OT anymore.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
For me it's more a problem this team collected a little under a third of its points in the standings last year by slogging their way to 21 overtimes in the first place. Until this team has talent enough to win considerably more than 22 games in regulation, I don't think it's worth wringing our hands over how they fare in any of the gimmick frames except perhaps to occasionally bemoan how a handful of otherwise meaningless points in the standings cripples whatever shot at a Hughes or similarly impactful prospect we might have. Hard to complain how the draft shook out for us this year of course but I'd rather have a realistic hope of grabbing first move on the board come June than the crutch/illusion of competitiveness that a few extra 3-on-3 and shootout wins provides.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not surprising as someone who watched Blash make terrible decisions on who started the period, match-ups, and inability to adjust for months.

"Maybe if I trot Nyquist and Z first out again we'll win this time."
... nope.

We have gotten crushed with pretty much everyone on the ice. The reality is we are not a very good team, giving the better team more space results in us losing more often. Not earth shattering. I think some of our younger guys will get better, but I have watched AA and Mantha get stuffed in the offensive zone only to pick the puck out of their net. I mean AA scored six seconds into an overtime. He doesn't always do that and a part of seeing a bunch of ideas on this is well we stink at it...

I think it will improve some. Again, Larkin has talked about this a few times since the new year and in the off-season. I think it is a focus and that dude improves at whatever he is focusing on. AA taking a consistency step in his game would also probably get him a little more run in OT. But again we have gotten burned a lot in transition. Our guys need to make better shooting decisions and be harder on the puck in the corner.

Also our now decade long stupidity in changing lines and getting caught with too many men is a problem in OT as well in my opinion. We get caught trying to make just really dumb changes in OT at times. I still will never understand how this became a problem under Babcock and hasn't gone away.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We have gotten crushed with pretty much everyone on the ice. The reality is we are not a very good team, giving the better team more space results in us losing more often. Not earth shattering. I think some of our younger guys will get better, but I have watched AA and Mantha get stuffed in the offensive zone only to pick the puck out of their net. I mean AA scored six seconds into an overtime. He doesn't always do that and a part of seeing a bunch of ideas on this is well we stink at it...

I think it will improve some. Again, Larkin has talked about this a few times since the new year and in the off-season. I think it is a focus and that dude improves at whatever he is focusing on. AA taking a consistency step in his game would also probably get him a little more run in OT. But again we have gotten burned a lot in transition. Our guys need to make better shooting decisions and be harder on the puck in the corner.

Also our now decade long stupidity in changing lines and getting caught with too many men is a problem in OT as well in my opinion. We get caught trying to make just really dumb changes in OT at times. I still will never understand how this became a problem under Babcock and hasn't gone away.
No doubt, the team is certainly bad, I'll admit I was thinking back to my initial exasperation at times when I'd see the first line. It was frustrating the first half of last season when we had the long stretch of no wins in OT (I think it was like 7 games, and games that went to SO too) to see them continue to approach OT the same way each time. After they started doing different things it really didn't make much of a difference as they only won like 2 games in the extra period, team just sucks.
This chart in the article though,
yost.JPG

I would've never guessed that Mike Green wasn't on for a GF.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

With defensive plays like the above video shows... it comes as no surprise how bad we are 3-on-3. The "effort" by Mantha was a freaking joke. The fly by Larkin was just the cherry on top. Hell you can see Mantha ready to take off when Larkin did the fly by LOL.... /cry

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
This team is bad 5-on-5 and bad 4-on-4. Why are you surprised they are also bad 3-on-3?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Makes sense, if you take the top 3 players on every team in the league we are perhaps dead last. Add in Blashill's lack of ideas (never trying 3 forwards, refusing to play AA and Mantha as much as he should) and you have a bad result.

Can't wait to see Hronek, Zadina, Rasmussen etc. in 3-on-3. Should give us a lot better looks.
Blashill won't play those 3 in OT because 'they don't play a 200 foot game'...

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No doubt, the team is certainly bad, I'll admit I was thinking back to my initial exasperation at times when I'd see the first line. It was frustrating the first half of last season when we had the long stretch of no wins in OT (I think it was like 7 games, and games that went to SO too) to see them continue to approach OT the same way each time. After they started doing different things it really didn't make much of a difference as they only won like 2 games in the extra period, team just sucks.
This chart in the article though,
yost.JPG

I would've never guessed that Mike Green wasn't on for a GF.

That's wrong, I can remember Green scoring an OT game winner.
Red Wings vs. Devils - Game Recap - November 25, 2016 - ESPN

Reactions: Ezekial

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goaltenders have huge impact on 3-on-3.

I think our 5-on-5 systems are pretty good, when this kind of measurement of pure skill shows our real level.

I have had other indicators about that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->