Eklund Rumor: Detroit interested in Ristolainen for Mantha

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Risto is a trade to Ottawa away from miraculously being considered a totally serviceable player.

Det should explore Mantha+ for Laine's rights, if they're willing to move him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Risto is a trade to Ottawa away from miraculously being considered a totally serviceable player.

Det should explore Mantha+ for Laine's rights, if they're willing to move him.

Steve Yzerman the player and executive places an extremely high importance on compete level. Part of the reason Drouin eventually got axed in Tampa in my opinion and what got Primeau shipped out back in his playing days. He loves skill, but he wants guys that work every shift. Now that might be why he would move on from AA or Mantha eventually who have had issues, but for Laine and with what I imagine is a pretty big plus?

Also I would point out Mantha will have full arbitration rights and one year to UFA, he can do to Winnipeg exactly what Trouba just did to them if he doesn't want to stay there long term. I am not sure why the Jets would sign up for that.

Reactions: gumgum

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Steve Yzerman the player and executive places an extremely high importance on compete level. Part of the reason Drouin eventually got axed in Tampa in my opinion and what got Primeau shipped out back in his playing days. He loves skill, but he wants guys that work every shift. Now that might be why he would move on from AA or Mantha eventually who have had issues, but for Laine and with what I imagine is a pretty big plus?

Also I would point out Mantha will have full arbitration rights and one year to UFA, he can do to Winnipeg exactly what Trouba just did to them if he doesn't want to stay there long term. I am not sure why the Jets would sign up for that.
You make exceptions for exceptional players, I think. And naturally, Mantha's demands cannot possibly be anywhere near what Laine's, I assume, are. From what I've been told, there's a massive cultural disconnect between the 'core' of that Jets team and Laine, which I feel is the primary contributor to the rift there, rather than anything that is purely contract-related. I really doubt Yzerman, who is as perceptive as they come, wouldn't be all about bringing a kid who can score at will like Laine can in, when he's 'on'. It's a crack-pipe trade proposal, but I like the idea.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You make exceptions for exceptional players, I think. And naturally, Mantha's demands cannot possibly be anywhere near what Laine's, I assume, are. From what I've been told, there's a massive cultural disconnect between the 'core' of that Jets team and Laine, which I feel is the primary contributor to the rift there, rather than anything that is purely contract-related. I really doubt Yzerman, who is as perceptive as they come, wouldn't be all about bringing a kid who can score at will like Laine can in, when he's 'on'. It's a crack-pipe trade proposal, but I like the idea.

His problem with Scheifele and Wheeler aren't going to be much different with Larkin and company in Detroit. We have an about to be named captain that is consumed by all things hockey. Setting up and reportedly helping pay for skill camps for our prospects and housing them in the off-season. The young Wings core is kind of insanely into hockey Cholowski, Veleno, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Larkin have been in Detroit basically all summer because Larkin wants to work and has them all buying in. I don't think Yzerman is going to go after Laine. It also ignores that the closest group of friends is Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi. They are attached at the hip and I am sure Yzerman is starting to notice that. While I think he moves one of Mantha and Athanasiou eventually and I do believe before the next draft it would be an LD or center in my opinion given the organizational chart.

I don't really want this to be dumping on Laine. He is a special talent and he scores goals in his sleep. I just don't see this fit and I don't see meeting his asking price either. What we are going to pay him 4+ million over our current leader that works his *** off. Poor message to the room and breaks one of the better parts of our culture that Holland handed off to Yzerman and you would think he would be interested in keeping.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
His problem with Scheifele and Wheeler aren't going to be much different with Larkin and company in Detroit. We have an about to be named captain that is consumed by all things hockey. Setting up and reportedly helping pay for skill camps for our prospects and housing them in the off-season. The young Wings core is kind of insanely into hockey Cholowski, Veleno, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Larkin have been in Detroit basically all summer because Larkin wants to work and has them all buying in. I don't think Yzerman is going to go after Laine. It also ignores that the closest group of friends is Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi. They are attached at the hip and I am sure Yzerman is starting to notice that. While I think he moves one of Mantha and Athanasiou eventually and I do believe before the next draft it would be an LD or center in my opinion given the organizational chart.

I don't really want this to be dumping on Laine. He is a special talent and he scores goals in his sleep. I just don't see this fit and I don't see meeting his asking price either. What we are going to pay him 4+ million over our current leader that works his *** off. Poor message to the room and breaks one of the better parts of our culture that Holland handed off to Yzerman and you would think he would be interested in keeping.
I saw Svech quite a lot in the A with the Griffins and felt he was a floater, for the most part.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I saw Svech quite a lot in the A with the Griffins and felt he was a floater, for the most part.

He was hurt in his second year and playing through injury. He had a very good rookie year where I didn't have many issues. I have the Griffins AHL package to watch the guys on the farm. Unfortunately, lost all of his last year to the knee injury but looked a ton better in training camp and in most of our opinions had won a job before his late training camp injury. Plays a pretty heavy game most of the time. I am not sure all guys are going to be on at all times, I think it is an unrealistic expectation but understand teams wanting it. Guys like Larkin and Scheifele are kind of insane, but that is what it took them to become what they are so I understand the dedication. We will see, Svechnikov is living at Larkin's house this off-season and he worked his butt off last summer with his brother. Hasn't been one of my issues with him, I thought he played more timid his second year to protect an injury.

Moving a guy like Mantha to Buffalo would be to create space for a guy like Svechnikov in my opinion. While him and Rasmussen remain unknowns I think their potential is kind of written off a little too quickly. I just wouldn't do it for this kind of return in terms of this thread though the other pieces might change some of the equation.

Reactions: gumgum

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is exactly the kind of trade Detroit needs to make.
They have more U25 wings than they can possibly use.
Trading Athanasiou or Mantha for a defenseman is perfect.

Why?

Because defenseman take long to develop. Wings fans love Seider. Well, guess what. He's 6-7 years away from being as good as Risto, if he ever gets there.
Larkin will be 30. Mantha and AA 31-32.

Rebuilds are best done by having your young defensive core at least as old, hopefully older, than your forward core.

Wings could role with Risto/Hronek/Green on the right side this year. Kaski or Lindstrom could play the 30 games Green will miss. Then one of those guys can take over fulltime next year. Maybe push that trade value up.
And then yzerman could move Hronek/Risto/Kaski/Lindstrom when Seider is ready in 2 years. Maybe 3.

The key thing is, the Red Wings are probably 4-5 years away from contending, even if everything breaks right.

So your defense at that point is
Cholowski (26) Risto 29
Dekeyser (34) Hronek 26
McIsaac (23) Seider (22)

That's still a really young defense, for the most part. Probably too young.
But that's maybe the core for a 3-5 year run.

You don't want your entire D between 22 and 26.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Where you reading this?

Not doubting it, just don't see any of it in the more common media, so I'd be interested to read more on it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Where you reading this?

Not doubting it, just don't see any of it in the more common media, so I'd be interested to read more on it.

Some of it is covered in The Athletic, and various sources and Wings related podcasts. I think that is the big one when you listen to guys like Larkin when they guest on Podcasts. They get more into life details. Also, something I have heard from people around the organization. But it isn't necessarily hidden, though I am not going to lie if you were expecting me to dig through links and videos like some of the Fox Sports pieces and podcasts where they discuss some of these relationships it will take a while and isn't really on my agenda for the weekend.

The skills camp thing was Larkin organizing the Toronto skill camp he has been going to for later in the summer with a bunch of Detroit guys and some of his close childhood friends like Werenski. The Athletic recently referenced it, but the event was at USA Hockey arena out in Plymouth. So kind of like he put together the USA hockey thing for JJ last year, once Larkin sets his mind to something his focus is amazing. Svechnikov also discussed some of this when talking to the Athletic recently. Again I have said it on our board and I realize not everyone wants to make the investment, but in my opinion The Athletic's coverage of hockey is unrivaled and they do offer you more insights into the team than just the local super friends reporters in Detroit.

Glendening is a huge factor in this too as Larkin really followed his lead as a younger player. He doesn't get enough credit for that. Cholo and Ras, along with guys like Givani Smith have talked about being in Detroit the last few off-seasons. Veleno has discussed it in his Red Wings blog and on the Red and White podcast in terms of his plan.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Some of it is covered in The Athletic, and various sources and Wings related podcasts. I think that is the big one when you listen to guys like Larkin when they guest on Podcasts. They get more into life details. Also, something I have heard from people around the organization. But it isn't necessarily hidden, though I am not going to lie if you were expecting me to dig through links and videos like some of the Fox Sports pieces and podcasts where they discuss some of these relationships it will take a while and isn't really on my agenda for the weekend.

The skills camp thing was Larkin organizing the Toronto skill camp he has been going to for later in the summer with a bunch of Detroit guys and some of his close childhood friends like Werenski. The Athletic recently referenced it, but the event was at USA Hockey arena out in Plymouth. So kind of like he put together the USA hockey think for JJ last year, once Larkin sets his mind to something his focus is amazing. Svechnikov also discussed some of this when talking to the Athletic recently. Again I have said it on our board and I realize not everyone wants to make the investment, but in my opinion The Athletic's coverage of hockey is unrivaled and they do offer you more insights into the team than just the local super friends reporters in Detroit.

Ahh... I dunno why I don't just pony up and subscribe to The Athletic. It's pretty cheap.

Thanks!

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Maybe a risto+ Pilut or something else rather substantial for Mantha? I doubt BUF wants to move pilut, especially with the left side being a little rough(the right side is loaded)

Buffalo would have Eichel, Skinner, Mantha and Olofsson all with 30+G potential and fantastic releases

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha is good.

Ristolainen sucks.

Eklund also sucks.

I think Risto has often been put in a position to fail to date in his career. I see a player I like more often than not when I flip on the Sabres. That isn't to say he is perfect, but the dude looks like a top 4 d-man to me. I think he takes too much heat. It's pretty tough being out there for well over a 1/3 of the game on a bad team, with bad systems and poor goaltending. Heck we know Doughty is a great player and look at the year he just had. Some very good players wind up being in some tough spots by the nature of the profession. While I don't like this deal for Detroit, I don't think Risto sucks quite breaks it down, respectfully.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think Risto has often been put in a position to fail to date in his career. I see a player I like more often than not when I flip on the Sabres. That isn't to say he is perfect, but the dude looks like a top 4 d-man to me. I think he takes too much heat. It's pretty tough being out there for well over a 1/3 of the game on a bad team, with bad systems and poor goaltending. Heck we know Doughty is a great player and look at the year he just had. Some very good players wind up being in some tough spots by the nature profession. While I don't like this deal for Detroit, I don't think Risto sucks quite breaks it down respectfully.
You know what - that was a good f***ing post and I agree.

Reactions: Eichel9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad