Proposal: Detroit-Anaheim

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Value is so relative. With 2 years left in his deal and 5 on vats, I'd say vats the more valuable asset.

Based on purely skills, it also based on need. With Theodore and Montour and Larson in the wings u think both are replaceable but finding a defensive mobile guy like fowler is probably harder.

But it's a toss up really.

Before this year many ducks fans were on with Tatar + small add, but after looking at finances, thinking of expansion, seeing what hall went for, Tatar is no longer am ideal choice.

We really need a talent on an etc/ controlled. Tatar is a rfa next year and we don't expect having better finances next year so he just is so so option.

Personally I want Sheahan and a great forward prospect who could make top 6 next year.

When we discussing a trade of Vats, he was also an unsigned RFA; so he technically wasn't even under contract.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ducks fans, you are confusing me with your contradictions. When it was talks of Tatar+ for Vatanen deal, apparently it was ok and there were no contract concerns regarding Tatar. Now that Vatanen has been switched to Fowler, all of a sudden Tatar's contract is a concern. Not only that, but there are conflicting opinions regarding if Tatar can actually be re-signed or not amongst your own fan base as shown above. Can we get a definitive answer when it comes to Tatar and his contract?

The Tartar/Vatanen discussions were BEFORE we signed Vatanen - when he was a RFA. Now that Vatanen is signed for about the same is Fowler but for longer term, it makes sense for the Ducks to trade Fowler who, as of today, is probably the better all around player (could be disputed).

Tartar's contract is not a problem short term because it is essentially a savings v. Fowler . But his next contract afte 2017-18 - the ducks might not be able to keep him, which is fine if they also acquire forward prospects to replace him.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
The bottom line is Tartar/Nyquist are probably rentals or perhaps expansion draft offerings since the ducks won't likely be able to resign them long term

Just like Fowler for Anaheim.

Tatar gives the Ducks a scorer in the top 6 left wing. Even if they don't extend him, they still have his rights to deal.

The problem with the plus is how much Anaheim wants.

Personally I wouldn't go over Tatar and a b level prospect/2nd.

Better package than JVR.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Just like Fowler for Anaheim.

Tatar gives the Ducks a scorer in the top 6 left wing. Even if they don't extend him, they still have his rights to deal.

The problem with the plus is how much Anaheim wants.

Personally I wouldn't go over Tatar and a b level prospect/2nd.

Better package than JVR.

It's actually not the same as Fowler. Fowler's contract is up in two years when a bunch of contracts are off the books. Tatar's is up next year, when we have no $$ coming off.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It's actually not the same as Fowler. Fowler's contract is up in two years when a bunch of contracts are off the books. Tatar's is up next year, when we have no $$ coming off.

That does not make Tatar a rental, nor would it leave Detroit to value him that way. Either that or you have no idea what a rental refers to.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Maybe you should have read what he was responding to before responding then, because that person did.

i did read it. He's not wrong in a sense that it could be a problem to resign Tatar. I don't think he'd be a rental, but Anaheim would have to move more pieces around to make it work.

Oct 18, 2011
What's wrong with his contract status? He's not gonna be due some hefty raise, you could probably sign him long term for like 1M more than he makes now. You don't have to be big to be successful in the NHL. I think Ducks would be alright with one player who is 5-10. I look at Ducks roster and see a good top line, stacked defense and a desperate need for secondary scoring. Honestly think Tatar would fit in great for you guys. He may not be big but he's not what I would call soft. He'll play in the corners, he'll crash the net, he'll muck it up a little.

As far as Mantha he's not proven, which seems to be one of the more important factors for most Ducks fans.

I like tatar a lot he is a good player with excellent possession numbers but I don't know how he slots into ducks top 6, getzlaf line likes to play a slow down cycle game, and the kesler line is going to be used as a shutdown line. also im not a Carlyle fan he has never shown an ability to build scoring up and down the lineup. so I worry if this guy is on the 3rd line he will not be put in good scoring opportunities

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I like tatar a lot he is a good player with excellent possession numbers but I don't know how he slots into ducks top 6, getzlaf line likes to play a slow down cycle game, and the kesler line is going to be used as a shutdown line. also im not a Carlyle fan he has never shown an ability to build scoring up and down the lineup. so I worry if this guy is on the 3rd line he will not be put in good scoring opportunities

Who is this ideal target that fits all these criteria for Ducks fans? Cost controlled, young, signed to multiple years so he wouldn't need a raise and can fit right into the top 6 that plays a specific slow down cycle game?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Deal Tatar? We are going to trade fowler for him only to trade Tatar a year later?

We don't have to trade Tatar in a year. He would either make enough to fit the structure, be better than someone leading to a trade of a lesser forward, or a lateral call bringing back something in return with Tatar heading out. This is going to be the case with any of the names that fellow Ducks fans are targeting. The Ducks don't have to accept a trash deal like the Ennis one, but there isn't going to be a 'just right' deal for us in any way shape or form. We are up against the salary cap(edit: the internal one) and are going to have to learn how to juggle things like the Hawks do on a regular basis.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
And a year always changes things.

Maybe Stoner gets moved.
Maybe they trade for Crosby.

Who knows.

Doesn't change the fact that they cut salary and add a cheap in his prime 25 goal scorer, whos numbers will improve.

Look I'm not saying I wouldn't take Tatar, I absolute would as a piece. But they're are only cutting 1.25 in cap. That's far below what his raise is going to be. Which isn't a huge problem, but it does mean pieces will have to be moved around to keep him. Which is my point.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
We don't have to trade Tatar in a year. He would either make enough to fit the structure, be better than someone leading to a trade of a lesser forward, or a lateral call bringing back something in return with Tatar heading out. This is going to be the case with any of the names that fellow Ducks fans are targeting. The Ducks don't have to accept a trash deal like the Ennis one, but there isn't going to be a 'just right' deal for us in any way shape or form. We are up against the salary cap and are going to have to learn how to juggle things like the Hawks do on a regular basis.

Again I'm aware of all that. Maybe you should head your own advice and read the post I was responding too.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Ducks trade Fowler, invest in the young defense they have. Let Tatar play in the top 6, gain value, deal him.

Now the assets Anaheim gets from Tatar help bring in the next level underneath the prospects the team has coming up.

Gain value how? He'll be due a major pay raise. Pretty much the opposite of gaining value. This is just pushing the problem down the road one season.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I did, here's the part where it was referenced:

I merely expanded on it because there were further options available.

Which again just pushed the problem down the road and solves nothing. Define lateral move.You think you're going to get an equivalent forward at less cost? Which team makes that trade?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ducks trade Fowler, invest in the young defense they have. Let Tatar play in the top 6, gain value, deal him.

Now the assets Anaheim gets from Tatar help bring in the next level underneath the prospects the team has coming up.

or they could just keep it simple and get assets for Fowler who are cost controlled for the next couple of years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad