Proposal: Detroit-Anaheim

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Which again just pushed the problem down the road and solves nothing. Define lateral move.You think you're going to get an equivalent forward at less cost? Which team makes that trade?

Hey, that was going to happen even if there wasn't an expansion draft. The internal spending cap is a reality that we are going to have to work around.

Lateral move means that Tatar, after a year of play, is even with the likes of Rakell/Silf/Cogs and maybe we choose them over Tomas, I doubt that would be the case, but in the unlikely case that happens, Tatar can be moved to recoup assets. This is going to be a problem regardless of who we trade Fowler for, or if Murray decides to keep Fowler.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Gain value how? He'll be due a major pay raise. Pretty much the opposite of gaining value. This is just pushing the problem down the road one season.

Unless he has a crazy year, how much of a raise do you think he'll get?

Gain value as in, if he really does have a crazy year, he can be dealt at a higher value than Cam Fowler was.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
or they could just keep it simple and get assets for Fowler who are cost controlled for the next couple of years...

Except that pretty much guarantees that we downgrade the roster by losing Fowler, save for some unnamed, miracle forward on an ELC being made available. I have yet to hear anyone of that stature hitting the block, though.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Except that pretty much guarantees that we downgrade the roster by losing Fowler, save for some unnamed, miracle forward on an ELC being made available. I have yet to hear anyone of that stature hitting the block, though.

Hey a devils fan just offered up Zacha. Problem solved lol

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Unless he has a crazy year, how much of a raise do you think he'll get?

Gain value as in, if he really does have a crazy year, he can be dealt at a higher value than Cam Fowler was.

He's not going to have a year in which his value eclipses fowler. I'd imagine he'd get somewhere just north of what Vatanen just got. Which is double what he's making now.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Hey, that was going to happen even if there wasn't an expansion draft. The internal spending cap is a reality that we are going to have to work around.

Lateral move means that Tatar, after a year of play, is even with the likes of Rakell/Silf/Cogs and maybe we choose them over Tomas, I doubt that would be the case, but in the unlikely case that happens, Tatar can be moved to recoup assets. This is going to be a problem regardless of who we trade Fowler for, or if Murray decides to keep Fowler.

I doubt BM is going put himself in a position to where he's doing this all over again next year.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I doubt BM is going put himself in a position to where he's doing this all over again next year.

If he wants to be the GM of a contender, then he's not really going to have a choice in the matter. This is part of running a team like that. Considering that he's one of the most active GMs on the trade front, I seriously doubt that he'd be fretting over it like you seem to think that he should.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's not going to have a year in which his value eclipses fowler. I'd imagine he'd get somewhere just north of what Vatanen just got. Which is double what he's making now.

Yes he totally could. He's been used like ****.

If he has a 65 point year, which I think is attainable on the Ducks, he could definitely be traded for good value.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

disagree - getting guys like Sheahan and AA would fill two holes very nicely for this year.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
If he wants to be the GM of a contender, then he's not really going to have a choice in the matter. This is part of running a team like that. Considering that he's one of the most active GMs on the trade front, I seriously doubt that he'd be fretting over it like you seem to think that he should.

I disagree. You're telling me he can't find an option that isn't a major salary increase for two seasons?

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
No way. He's young, RFA contract, scorer.

Limited value.

He might not get 65 points.

You're killing me. Apparently not as much value as fowler is the same as limited value. Makes sense doesn't it?

Yes he totally could. He's been used like ****.

If he has a 65 point year, which I think is attainable on the Ducks, he could definitely be traded for good value.

I think the likelyhood of him putting up Perry and Getzlaf numbers is slim. Very slim.

And again we are still talking about trading a player we just traded for. Not ideal at all.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Who is this ideal target that fits all these criteria for Ducks fans? Cost controlled, young, signed to multiple years so he wouldn't need a raise and can fit right into the top 6 that plays a specific slow down cycle game?

Drouin ... except TB probably doesn't want to trade him or take an increase in salary either, but someone like him is who I'd be hoping for.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think the likely hood of him putting up Perry and Getzlaf numbers is slim. Very slim.

I didn't say he was definitely going to do it I said "in a crazy year" and "attainable" - if he's on a line with one of them couldn't they click and attribute to each other's points?

IF he has a crazy year and does that - THEN his value will be really high for you to trade.
IF he doesn't and has a 50 point year, which should easily be attainable for him if he's not playing 14 minutes a night - then he isn't gonna get an unmanageable contract from you.
IF he sucks, well, then you made a bad trade. But I don't see it.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Tell me who this magical player is that was made available and will have a comparable impact to Fowler.

He doesn't have to by himself have a comparable impact. He just needs to be cost controlled for 2 years. Or at least that's the preference. The likelihood of finding a player comparable to fowler is pretty low, although JVR would be a good fit.

What exactly are you arguing with me about anyways? I've said multiple times I'm fine with Tatar as a piece. Just that, BM is going to have to shuffle the deck again to keep him.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I didn't say he was definitely going to do it I said "in a crazy year" and "attainable" - if he's on a line with one of them couldn't they click and attribute to each other's points?

IF he has a crazy year and does that - THEN his value will be really high for you to trade.
IF he doesn't and has a 50 point year, which should easily be attainable for him if he's not playing 14 minutes a night - then he isn't gonna get an unmanageable contract from you.
IF he sucks, well, then you made a bad trade. But I don't see it.

Sure he could have a "crazy year". It's just really unlikely. If he puts up 50ish pts again, his contract will be around what Vatanens is. I've already addressed both situations.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He doesn't have to by himself have a comparable impact. He just needs to be cost controlled for 2 years. Or at least that's the preference. The likelihood of finding a player comparable to fowler is pretty low, although JVR would be a good fit.

What exactly are you arguing with me about anyways? I've said multiple times I'm fine with Tatar as a piece. Just that, BM is going to have to shuffle the deck again to keep him.

That is the phase that this team entered into when Lindholm and Vatanen came up for raises. We aren't going to be able to keep the team afloat on ELCs anymore. Players are going to come and go. The team doesn't have two seasons to wait for people on their ELCs to round out their game. Every move has to be rooted in the present. Tatar is that. Stan Bowman isn't fretting over the fact that he may have to find a way to move salary every summer. He just does it. Dean Lombardi also does that. That's what you have to do when you want to contend. The window isn't going to stay open forever. The only way that the team moves Fowler for someone that needs work is if the reward is at the top tier, like a replacement for Getzlaf. I don't see any way that we're going to get that, so focusing on pieces for the present are going to have to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->