Post-Game Talk: Detroit 3 Vancouver 2, OT - We got a point! But still lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'd be more concerned if we weren't losing all these games by 1 goal. It's not like we're getting blown out every night.

You're right in that it means we aren't Carolina or Edmonton bad.

But it doesn't mean we are good either. If Miller or Henrik go down for any length of time, we will be Carolina or Edmonton bad.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is a good transition year, Canucks will be in a dog fight for the last playoffs spot all year long which will be a good experience for the kids

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No kidding.

After our quick start, we're already down to 10th in the conference.

We've been working hard and decent system-wise, but there is a total lack of real class and ability on this team right now. This is not a good team.

10th in the conference and that's with Miller posting a 2.09 GAA and 0.926 SVP. These numbers will continue to regress as they have in the past few games, and when they do things are just going to get worse and worse.

I can see WD continuing to take it out on the kids. We need more of them Dorsetts and Prusts in the lineup to stop this spin. :cry:

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Canucks absolutely dominated the first two periods. Hard to be disappointed in that.

But they also can't seem to finish their opportunities. But that's not necessarily anything really new....

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Defense pairings staying the same thus far.

Interesting forward combos. Assuming they stay that way in-game (which they may not), Virts looks like he'll get at least 10-14 minutes (depending on penalties) with Burr and Sutter. If so, this is the game to judge his "NHL readiness" on. If he looks out of place in a regular shift, then fair play I'll accept that he's not ready. Of course I'm skeptical that Willie won't just re-jig his lines in-game, but this is a promising start at least.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Canucks absolutely dominated the first two periods. Hard to be disappointed in that.

But they also can't seem to finish their opportunities. But that's not necessarily anything really new....

Ya, I think outshooting a road-weary Detroit team that had a .500 record going into the game isn't the most stringent measure of success. You would hope in that situation that any rested, home team would have the edge in play. It's the crash in the third that is really the key take-away from that game. So rare for a road team on the second of a back-to-back game to come back and win in the third, especially in the current low-offense, parity driven league. That to me is more telling about this team than having the edge in play in the first 40.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Miller off ice today, according to Tomlinson. I assume he is being given extra days off to rest, during Markstrom's absence?

If so, I question why the Sedins are not treated similarly? They have four old guys that occupy the first line, why not alternate them? Would Daniel centering Burrows and Vrbata be unplayable? Cutting these old boys to sixty games apiece doesn't seem crazy, in theory. I think the athletes are more likely to burn out than wear out. They can be physically able while burned to a crisp mentally. I think Desjardins shortening his bench will lead to mental burnouts quickly. Whatever, they'll never try it.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Interesting forward combos. Assuming they stay that way in-game (which they may not), Virts looks like he'll get at least 10-14 minutes (depending on penalties) with Burr and Sutter. If so, this is the game to judge his "NHL readiness" on. If he looks out of place in a regular shift, then fair play I'll accept that he's not ready. Of course I'm skeptical that Willie won't just re-jig his lines in-game, but this is a promising start at least.
This is WD we're taking about, he'll probably double shifting Dorsett just to bench Virtanen.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hansen with Horvat! Finally an end to the kid line and Weber still in the lineup.

Good news

The end of a line that was hardly ever played? :laugh:

Thought I must admit I don't dislike the looks of these new lines. Kind of a bummer to see McCann saddled with two useless wingers though. I'm hoping the kids get more than 5-6 minutes of ice-time.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Miller off ice today, according to Tomlinson. I assume he is being given extra days off to rest, during Markstrom's absence?

If so, I question why the Sedins are not treated similarly? They have four old guys that occupy the first line, why not alternate them? Would Daniel centering Burrows and Vrbata be unplayable? Cutting these old boys to sixty games apiece doesn't seem crazy, in theory. I think the athletes are more likely to burn out than wear out. They can be physically able while burned to a crisp mentally. I think Desjardins shortening his bench will lead to mental burnouts quickly. Whatever, they'll never try it.

I think Daniel centering any line would be unplayable as he's played wing his entire career.

Miller getting rest is based off him starting a couple games that normally would have gone to Markstrom. The Sedins couldn't get similar treatment because they're expected to play every game. I think cutting games for the sake of rest would make them a little inconsistent.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Thought I must admit I don't dislike the looks of these new lines. Kind of a bummer to see McCann saddled with two useless wingers though. I'm hoping the kids get more than 5-6 minutes of ice-time.

All the kids should be upped in ice time now.

I believe with the switch of Hansen and Virtanen that those two lines will be equal in ice time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I see this as the best way for them to get a good amount of ice time.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
does anyone have any info on rogers arena seating? am going to my first nhl game ever...canucks/flyers on the 2nd.

looking at section 117.... are all seats in section 117 good?

thanks very much

embee

Apr 29, 2011
does anyone have any info on rogers arena seating? am going to my first nhl game ever...canucks/flyers on the 2nd.

looking at section 117.... are all seats in section 117 good?

thanks very much

All the seats anywhere you sit are good. Especially 117.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Ya I know. Just trying some of that 'optimism' that others around here seem to have so much of.

It's that wonderful glass half full feeling. I'd also like to see JV play at least 10 minutes, but as was said above, I wouldn't be surprised if Dorsett ends up double shifting while Jake rides the pine.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
So wait, the bench gets shortened and the veterans blow leads in back to back games, but we're debating if the kids should play more?

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

Those two useless wingers have been among the best on the team, and they seem to compensate for some of McCann's deficiencies. The line has looked good two games in a row.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Those two useless wingers have been among the best on the team, and they seem to compensate for some of McCann's deficiencies. The line has looked good two games in a row.

Yeah, Dorsett has been awesome. 1 point in 8 games (an EN goal), has been outscored 5-0 when he's on the ice, and has a 42% Corsi (worst on the team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad