Post-Game Talk: Detroit 3 Vancouver 2, OT - We got a point! But still lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
The coach better find himself how to protect the lead better. Blowing 3rd period lead in two consecutive games, both of them 2-0 lead is inexcusable. If the 2-0 lead was blown once a month, it's fine normal but to blow the lead in back to back games is not acceptable. The coach is accountable for how he handles the players, not player's fault. Inability to win a game at home is also inexcusable because he has the last change and he could have a match-up he wants to deploy. Why is Sbisa still on the line-up, take him out. Having no confidence in any of his players, especially rookies is not a true coach especially if he was involved in the AHL or Junior. The NHL is a different game than AHL or Junior. Willie must adjust his strategy, whatever it worked in Junior or the AHL will not work here.

The 5 on 5 play is fine for the first 2 period, why could they not stick to the strategy? That strategy worked well for the first two period of the both Washington and Detroit game, they stifled them in lower shot allowed and once 3rd period comes, their strategy changed. This 3rd period strategy does not work at all.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I miss those days

TFW no cup to show for it

We just weren't tough enough, we focused too much on scoring goals and not getting scored on IMO. If we had some more meat n taters Malhotra wouldn't have taken a puck to the eye nor would Hamhuis have torn his abdomen throwing a hipcheck.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
We just weren't tough enough, we focused too much on scoring goals and not getting scored on IMO. If we had some more meat n taters Malhotra wouldn't have taken a puck to the eye nor would Hamhuis have torn his abdomen throwing a hipcheck.

I don't think so. I think we were a better team. We were so depleted.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Edit: Miller has been good, but the team still isn't winning that many games despite his excellent play. That seems more like a half-glass-empty point to me, but I guess that one is just perspective.

And Henrik Sedin, Radim Vrbata and Bo Horvat haven't contributed much at all offensively. To be in every game without production from those guys is encouraging - as you typically live and die with your 1st line.

This team at no point has looked overmatched this season, with a couple hard fought, 1 goal losses to terrific teams being the worst we've seen thus far. For a club that was supposed to be a bottom feeder, that's impressive. They've certainly exceeded expectations thus far. Remains to be seen if they can continue to play this well.

Ryan Miller was supposed to be the teams Achilles heel and one of the worst starting goalies in the league this season, as a 35 year old coming off a serious injury. He's looked calm, cool and collected, given the Canucks a chance to win every night and has yet to have a poor outing. That's a big reason why they now look like a team that can compete for a playoff spot in the West.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Hey guys, im making the GDT thread for tuesday on the habs board, can any of you (and if possible) give me the expected lineup for the Canucks?

As such...

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX

XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Miller

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hey guys, im making the GDT thread for tuesday on the habs board, can any of you (and if possible) give me the expected lineup for the Canucks?

As such...

XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX

XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Miller

Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Burrows / Sutter / Hansen
Baertschi / Horvat / Virtanen
Prust / McCann / Dorsett

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Sbisa / Hutton

Miller

Keep an eye on Tanev and Hutton, two extremely underrated players who may not get press on the east coast.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Baertschi / Horvat / Virtanen
Prust / McCann / Dorsett

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Sbisa / Hutton

Miller

Keep an eye on Tanev and Hutton, two extremely underrated players who may not get press on the east coast.

Alright thanks a lot.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can't with Willie d

He'll change lines a lot

Best guess is

Daniel Henrik Vrbata
Burrows Sutter Hansen
Prust McCann Dorsett
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Subject to change tho

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hard to do much in 5 minutes of ice time spread out sporadically. Anyone who plays hockey can tell you that.

Just because it's difficult to do doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to do it. Taking some low percentage shots from the outside (Virtanen) and getting shoved off the puck endlessly (Baertschi) doesn't impress me. Even if they outshot their opposition.

Again, most of the blame falls on Willie but I don't think 'the kids' should be blame free here.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Needed noise cancelling ear plugs.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just because it's difficult to do doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to do it. Taking some low percentage shots from the outside (Virtanen) and getting shoved off the puck endlessly (Baertschi) doesn't impress me. Even if they outshot their opposition.

Again, most of the blame falls on Willie but I don't think 'the kids' should be blame free here.

But why is that such a "bad" outcome? In sporadic minutes you can't get into a rhythm, so focusing on not making a mistake defensively and getting the puck on net is about the best you can ask for in those circumstances. They weren't a liability yet everyone thinks they should have somehow had productive or dominating offensive shifts every time they stepped on the ice (which was about once every 10 minutes). Why is that a reasonable expectation? If they were a typical 7 minute a game 4th line you'd be satisfied that they simply let the better lines rest and didn't allow a goal. That's how Willie used them so clearly that should be the expectation. If you want offense, give them offensive minutes to work with.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

As such...

XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX

XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Miller

Prust / Horvat / Dorsett
Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Prust / Horvat / Dorsett

Scratched:
Baertschi
Virtanen
McCann

Sbisa / Hutton
Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber

Miller

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
And Henrik Sedin, Radim Vrbata and Bo Horvat haven't contributed much at all offensively. To be in every game without production from those guys is encouraging - as you typically live and die with your 1st line.

This team at no point has looked overmatched this season, with a couple hard fought, 1 goal losses to terrific teams being the worst we've seen thus far. For a club that was supposed to be a bottom feeder, that's impressive. They've certainly exceeded expectations thus far. Remains to be seen if they can continue to play this well.

Ryan Miller was supposed to be the teams Achilles heel and one of the worst starting goalies in the league this season, as a 35 year old coming off a serious injury. He's looked calm, cool and collected, given the Canucks a chance to win every night and has yet to have a poor outing. That's a big reason why they now look like a team that can compete for a playoff spot in the West.

Some might think that losing a lot of 1 goal games is a good thing (or at least the bright side) because it means you're close even when you lose.

However, when it comes to this team, I don't think that applies. With this team, we lose 1 goal games because we don't have the goal scoring ability to flat out score more. We've played well in a lot of games and generated a lot of scoring chances but haven't been able to capitalize.

If it's someone like Vrbata, who we know has a scoring touch, you assume that the goals will come. However you can't say the same thing for guys like Henrik, Daniel, Hansen, Hamhuis, Edler, Higgins or anyone else that we've seen for several years. For players like these, I never think, "OMG he had so many great chances, he's bound to score one soon."

TLDR: IMO, moral victories don't mean anything right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad