Confirmed Trade: [DET/WSH] Nick Jensen and 2019 5th round pick for 2020 2nd round pick and Madison Bowey

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Fantastic value for Detroit. They basically pulled a 2nd + NHL caliber RHD for a #4 rental who is 5 years older. I guess Washington feels pressured to improve after the CBJ musings, but they do not do well value-wise here. A lot of tic-tac-toe going on lately (TOR-BOS trades, then CBJ-WSH).

Seems like a buyers market, except when it comes to D, as per usual.

Reactions: Meeqs

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Fantastic value for Detroit. They basically pulled a 2nd + NHL caliber RHD for a #4 rental who is 5 years older. I guess Washington feels pressured to improve after the CBJ musings, but they do not do well value-wise here.

Seems like a buyers market, except when it comes to D, as per usual.

I wouldn’t really call Bowey that... Wings are taking a chance on him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dare I say, the rare, Win/Win??

Right now I would have to say I agree. The wings have time to actually play Bowey and see if his raw talent can become something. Playing 14 mins a night in Washington wasnt exactly ideal for a 23 year old. It seems like he has some athlleticism that if he puts it together he could be a player. Washington is all in so they dont really have the time to wait until Bowey is 26 or 27 to judge. Detroit is getting a guy with a bit of potential they can use and might fit into their next cores age when theyre competitive again.

23 is still really young for a dman.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Caps fan, I like it. I liked Bowey and I still think he has the chance to become a solid player one day but he needs icetime and he's not going to get in in Washington who is in win-now mode. Especially not with a couple 1st rounders on the blueline in the pipeline. A guy like Djoos already developing into a nice player and a second rounder in Seigenthaler who is our potential Orpik replacement. I wish him well and I hope he gets the icetime he needs to develop into a solid two-way guy.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This guy was a question mark to be in The top 6 for the Wings this year. Amazing they got a 2nd for him at this point. Pump and Dump!

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’m happy with the return. 2nd + a potential second pairing dman if things go well. Laughing at all the people who claimed Jensen was barely worth a 3rd right now. I’m sure they’ll avoid this thread though.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Some of the shine seems to be off Bowey. Either way its nice value for the Wings with that 2nd.

I like the addition alot for Washington. I imagine there was alot of interest, so they had to pay a fair price. Thats what happens

Would have been a nice add for Toronto. Wonder who the Leafs are going to target now.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yep, thanks.

It really seems like we will use Orpik - Jensen this year as our 3rd pair. And if he's a good fit in D.C. and we can sign him for 1M or less, Djoos - Jensen will be the 3rd pair next year.

Given the demand that he supposedly had in the trade market, I wouldn't bet on him signing for $1M or less...

Especially when you consider Brendan Smith got over $4M a year and was garbage in Detroit before he got traded.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I was hoping the Leafs were going to grab him but I'm glad they didn't compete on that price.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Fair deal. We knew Jensen was returning a 2nd, the only question was the plus. Bowey will get a solid opportunity to turn things around in Detroit. Washington is going to be very happy with Jensen. He is the most improved player in the league this year and has been one of the top Dmen defensively.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I overheard Jim Nill talking about some team trading for a defenseman at the Stars practice today because they needed more competitiveness on their defense.

15 minutes later this happens...

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
How good is Nick Jensen? Thought of him as a solid #5. Maybe he’s more of a #4 guy?

Hes #4-#5 depending on team. Has been very good the last couple of years. Will make a good second pair D on a contending team.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Capitals RD depth before the trade was Carlson, Niskanen, Bowey, Siegenthaler, Lewington and Williams. Bowey had been sharing some time on the third defensive pair with Siegenthaler, with Orpik being the other end of the pair. Bowey started more and more being a healthy scratch with Siegenthaler who's a few year's younger getting more time in that position. It was becoming clear that Siegenthaler was passing Bowey. Once Djoos, an LD returned from injury, he took the position next to Orpik on the third pair. They sent Siegenthaler back to Hershey/AHL because he didn't have to pass through waivers while Bowey stayed at the 7th dman/healthy scratch. Kept waiting for Bowey to take the next step, but just didn't see it in his play. Doesn't read the game well and poor decision making, a bit slow to react.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2