Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Tyler Bertuzzi re-signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $3.5M) - Arbitration Award

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If Bert is out it's because he doesn't want to be there, not because Detroit doesn't want him. And there's no indicators of that.

He likely went to arbitration because he got devalued due to corona killing the cap. It's a good deal for both sides. Detroit has to pay less money this year, Bert gets another year to prove his worth, and likely has more negotiating power next year.
Nearly all RFAs that go to arbitration leave within a year. Wouldn't shock me if it Bert follows the trend. This deal is a pretty good dip below market value for a player of Bert's production according to EvolvingHockey, as the AAV his team was after is pretty reasonable all things considered.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Talk about damaging relationship with a key player to save 200 k. Not sure I get it from Detroit, to be honest.

Bert's ask was $4.25M, and I seriously doubt it hurts the relationship.

Players and teams both understand that corona has seriously f***ed things up. If anything, it buys Tyler a year to have a better season and for the league to recover.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Players and teams both understand that corona has seriously f***ed things up. If anything, it buys Tyler a year to have a better season and for the league to recover.

league is flat next year as well.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

More contracts expire. More teams signing players for less. More money. We'll also know what the new US TV Deal will be by then.

In Detroit's scenario, in particular, Marc Staal ($3.2M) is gone. Filppula ($3M) is gone. Helm ($3M) is gone. Weiss' buyout ($1.66M) is gone. Those guys are likely replaced by ELC players.

That's about $8M - $9M in savings alone. Doesn't factor in if they also replace Nemeth or Glendening with ELCs.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Short deal gives a better chance for Bertuzzi to prove himself, than the struggling season in a "League-worst-for-while" Team season.

It was not fair (for any Detroit player) to negoatiate a possible career contract after that mess of a season.

They could still be dead last, but not as abysmal as they were. So much pure dead weight is gone.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Seems a very unnecessary step to take when said young player deserved his asking price. 1 year deal. I wouldn’t have risked any potential bad blood like this.

Reactions: njx9 and Morrison

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

The league is flat cap next season already. There’s no upside to this for the player. I have no horse in this race but if this comes back to bite the club I’d be really upset if I was part of the fanbase

Reactions: Morrison

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The league is flat cap next season already. There’s no upside to this for the player. I have no horse in this race but if this comes back to bite the club I’d be really upset if I was part of the fanbase

Addressed this just above. #58.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Frans Nielsen, anyone?

I don't see Detroit doing it.

I'd have to look up the rules, but based on the buyout calculator, it looks like the buyouts only relieve the team of player salary and not their signing bonuses. So even if they bought him out, they'd only save $1.3M on the $8M he's owed. As opposed to Abdelkader, where they saved $3.2M. Yzerman more or less said that Abdelkader's buyout was purely a money move.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Arbitration hearings are no fun. It does hurt relationships.

Just pay the man.

Reactions: Morrison

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Detroit alone is gaining like $9M in cap space next season with no one important to re-sign.

The Wings were a dumpster fire and its very likely Bert has an even better season next year now that we have a semblance of an NHL hockey team now.

He likely gets an even bigger contract next season.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Talk about damaging relationship with a key player to save 200 k. Not sure I get it from Detroit, to be honest.

Bertuzzi filed for arb. What are you on about? This wasn't Detroit's call to go before the arbitrator. If you're Bertuzzi and you think the arbitrator is going to give you closer to 4M, why would you settle for 3.5M from the team?

This is a regular negotiation event... and let's be honest, I don't think Tyler Bertuzzi was in the room for this. Pretty certain his agent fielded this. Damaging the relationship isn't seeing through an arbitration case. It would be cutting his minutes or not putting him in the best place to succeed. Tyler's uncle played here. He's played here a couple years. He knows what Detroit and Yzerman are about.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Hope it really created bad blood and a bigger chance he gets traded (to my team haha).

At least you are an honest man.

But yeah, I don't foresee any possible bad blood from this. Bertuzzi thought he had a strong arbitration case for 4M. The contract negotiations probably made it clear to him that wasn't going to happen unless it was eating a couple years of UFA in the COVID world. So he figured his comparables could carry the day and get him that now. Based on the result, they couldn't.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
No, deciding not to go to arbitration is a normal thing in the NHL. Of course Dubas has to pay his players like all GM and all employers generally.

Also... going to arbitration is a normal thing in the NHL. So I don't understand the litany of "OMG TYLER BERTUZZI HATES THE WINGS NOW BECAUSE THEY WENT TO ARBITRATION ooooohhhh spooky"

I would be willing to bet a decent sum of money that Tyler wasn't even in the room for it. He probably worked with his agent and his agent said this is your best way to maybe get a 4M contract this year. This is the way you have a chance at the most money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad