Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Tyler Bertuzzi re-signs with the Red Wings (1 year, $3.5M) - Arbitration Award

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hope Bert’s camp doesn’t hold some ire over this. That contract is much lower than most Wings fans anticipated even with covid adjustment.

Not much lower, maybe 250,000 less than I expected which is nothing when talking about nearly 4 million dollars.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Also... going to arbitration is a normal thing in the NHL. So I don't understand the litany of "OMG TYLER BERTUZZI HATES THE WINGS NOW BECAUSE THEY WENT TO ARBITRATION ooooohhhh spooky"

I would be willing to bet a decent sum of money that Tyler wasn't even in the room for it. He probably worked with his agent and his agent said this is your best way to maybe get a 4M contract this year. This is the way you have a chance at the most money.
Of course as it was a silly take.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Bertuzzi filed for arb. What are you on about? This wasn't Detroit's call to go before the arbitrator. If you're Bertuzzi and you think the arbitrator is going to give you closer to 4M, why would you settle for 3.5M from the team?

This is a regular negotiation event... and let's be honest, I don't think Tyler Bertuzzi was in the room for this. Pretty certain his agent fielded this. Damaging the relationship isn't seeing through an arbitration case. It would be cutting his minutes or not putting him in the best place to succeed. Tyler's uncle played here. He's played here a couple years. He knows what Detroit and Yzerman are about.

Of course he was in the room.

Have you ever heard of an arb hearing where the player was not in the room?

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Talk about damaging relationship with a key player to save 200 k. Not sure I get it from Detroit, to be honest.

Yzerman clearly doesn't see him as a key player. And he might be right. Bertuzzi has been riding the coattails of two vastly more talented linemates.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was nothing dramatic.

Yzerman just went there and had a speech.

"I'll promise you, if you take this figure, we'll win a Stanley Cup in the future like I did with Detroit at 2001 off-season. By taking less, leaving some money on the table to get Brett Hull on the team. Team was against the budget, but our 5 most important players (me, Lidström, Fedorov, Shanahan and Chelios) all did let 500k on the table to get Hull. He scored team-high 10 goals at the playoffs and rest is history."

"Or how I negotiated at Tampa to build a recent Cup winner. Guys understood, that Stanley Cup winner in cap era is a team where everybody is taking less and playing for their teammate."

"You know Tyler, taking less is the key to victory."

Then Bertuzzi signed and arbitration was over.

Last edited:

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
He's named him multiple times as a key player...

You don't take someone you consider a key player to an actual arbitration hearing. You don't scoff at paying someone you consider a key player in the range of $4 million annually. Obviously Yzerman is smart enough not to publicly trash a trade asset.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You don't take someone you consider a key player to an actual arbitration hearing. You don't scoff at paying someone you consider a key player in the range of $4 million annually. Obviously Yzerman is smart enough not to publicly trash a trade asset.

You're more than welcome to listen to the countless interviews where he's named him as such.

Go ahead and name which players Yzerman signed to shit deals in Tampa. He knows how to negotiate. Bert's still an RFA at the end.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
You're more than welcome to listen to the countless interviews where he's named him as such.

Go ahead and name which players Yzerman signed to shit deals in Tampa. He knows how to negotiate. Bert's still an RFA at the end.

Bertuzzi will be on a different team within a year. There's a reason Yzerman is handling the Mantha negotiations much differently. Mantha is a player he has identified as a long term core piece.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Bertuzzi will be on a different team within a year. There's a reason Yzerman is handling the Mantha negotiations much differently. Mantha is a player he has identified as a long term core piece.

tenor.gif

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you can cite even a single example in the history of NHL salary arbitration (25+ years) where a team has honored a player's arbitration award and kept him around long term.

Hell just from last summer's six arbitration hearings alone, Christian Djoos (WSH), Joel Edmundson (STL) and Evan Rodrigues (BUF) have all been traded already. Teams and players alike simply do not go down this road if they are happy with each other. There is a HUGE difference between filing for arbitration as a negotiating tactic and actually going through with the hearing.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Further to my last point: of the 11 arbitration hearings that have occurred since 2016, 7 players were traded within a calendar year of their hearing date (Djoos, Edmundson, Rodrigues, Ceci, Kulak, Trouba) and an additional 2 (Anton Forsberg, Gemel Smith) joined other teams as free agents.

Reactions: njx9 and BinCookin

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Further to my last point: of the 11 arbitration hearings that have occurred since 2016, 7 players were traded within a calendar year of their hearing date (Djoos, Edmundson, Rodrigues, Ceci, Kulak, Trouba) and an additional 2 (Anton Forsberg, Gemel Smith) joined other teams as free agents.

Which 2 stayed?

The trouble here is our top line, shouldn't be getting top line minutes. So Mantha/Bertuzzi and even Larkin... Are likely getting a lot more production and ice time than they should be getting if we had a more talented roster.

Under these circumstances, I feel its a smart move to do shorter 1-3 year deals on these players.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you can cite even a single example in the history of NHL salary arbitration (25+ years) where a team has honored a player's arbitration award and kept him around long term.

Hell just from last summer's six arbitration hearings alone, Christian Djoos (WSH), Joel Edmundson (STL) and Evan Rodrigues (BUF) have all been traded already. Teams and players alike simply do not go down this road if they are happy with each other. There is a HUGE difference between filing for arbitration as a negotiating tactic and actually going through with the hearing.

Ok. Name me a time in the cap era where the cap is locked for three consecutive years. This year is unique. So any comparison to prior years is pretty dang moot

Reactions: Adityase

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What matters though is that Bert is very happy in DET & loves his linemates etc & vice versa. This arbitration was more a product of C19 & gives Bert another year to prove his true worth, while not coincidentally saving the team $ & cap. There's been no reports of any negative news regarding Bert & the Wings. If Nielsen also happens to get bought out, then "conspiracy theorists" suggest it could've been the Wings who prompted Bert to go this route, opening up a window for Frans to be bought out. Bert is a key player for us & is treated as such, this isn't even a blip on a proverbial radar. He's a huge part of our Top6F now & moving forward & will likely score some huge & timely goals on our way to future Cup(s).

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Which 2 stayed?

The trouble here is our top line, shouldn't be getting top line minutes. So Mantha/Bertuzzi and even Larkin... Are likely getting a lot more production and ice time than they should be getting if we had a more talented roster.

Under these circumstances, I feel its a smart move to do shorter 1-3 year deals on these players.

Andrew Copp (Jets opted for 2-year arbitration award which he's still playing on) and Nate Schmidt. Honestly Schmidt might be the best and only example of a player who stuck around after an arb hearing but of course he was eventually traded too.

I think Yzerman sees it the same way and Bertuzzi is the least likely of the three to be a legit top six forward on a championship team so it makes sense to move on. Especially with Raymond and Zadina in the system. I would guess another Athanasiou-type return for Bert at this season's deadline.

Reactions: Michoulicious

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Name an example in NHL history where a few dozen decent RFAs weren't even qualified because 75% of the league got crushed by the cap.

Go back to spitting out hot takes about how Bertuzzi has the same deadline value as Athanasiou. :laugh:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It’s fascinating to see some of the reaction here. Holland was ran out of town for signing vets to bloated contracts now some are borderline Upset/annoyed that Bert didn’t get enough money?

Management can’t do anything right :sarcasm:

Andrew Copp (Jets opted for 2-year arbitration award which he's still playing on) and Nate Schmidt. Honestly Schmidt might be the best and only example of a player who stuck around after an arb hearing but of course he was eventually traded too.

I think Yzerman sees it the same way and Bertuzzi is the least likely of the three to be a legit top six forward on a championship team so it makes sense to move on. Especially with Raymond and Zadina in the system. I would guess another Athanasiou-type return for Bert at this season's deadline.

Athanasiou was always a problem for us. Not the fans, but the coaches and his play style.
He didn't play winning hockey.
Bertuzzi is the opposite. I think we are penny pinching on Bertuzzi to make a point about how Detroit doesn't overpay anymore, and then I still think it would be in our best interest to retain the player. On the next deal Bert will have more leverage and we will likely sign him to a number closer to his ask.

Name an example in NHL history where a few dozen decent RFAs weren't even qualified because 75% of the league got crushed by the cap.

Go back to spitting out hot takes about how Bertuzzi has the same deadline value as Athanasiou. :laugh:

I don't think he meant to be rude. Just that these situations usually involve players moving later. I really do think with the style of game Bertuzzi plays, that Yzerman may push for lowest salary possible, but he should know Bert isn't the kind of player we should be trading.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Athanasiou was always a problem for us. Not the fans, but the coaches and his play style.
He didn't play winning hockey.
Bertuzzi is the opposite. I think we are penny pinching on Bertuzzi to make a point about how Detroit doesn't overpay anymore, and then I still think it would be in our best interest to retain the player. On the next deal Bert will have more leverage and we will likely sign him to a number closer to his ask.

I don't think he meant to be rude. Just that these situations usually involve players moving later. I really do think with the style of game Bertuzzi plays, that Yzerman may push for lowest salary possible, but he should know Bert isn't the kind of player we should be trading.

If Bertuzzi is traded, it is because another team pays a premium for him. He’s a guy we should keep, but if we will get a better player/asset for him than his value, we should move him.

Yzerman treats his players like assets. He values them all and likes having players he personally enjoys... but if you’ve got excess value, he will look to unload you. He had MSL as a recent Hart winner and instead of kowtowing to him, he dealt him away.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Schmidt stayed after his hearing.

Barrie went through the entire process and only signed before the actual verdict was given out.

Mike Hoffman went and stayed, probably longer if not for the Karlsson drama, as did Johanssen

All Players stayed longer than a year like you expect will happen to Bertuzzi

This is also ignoring that were going through a Covid Salary Cap for at least the next two seasons (who knows how much longer) and the $1M difference between Bert's ask and what he got will make a HUGE difference in the long run.

Reactions: The Red Line

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

And the thing 6 of those 7 players had in common: their team wasn't that interested in offering term. The 7th player wanted out.

Neither of those appear to be the situation with Bertuzzi or the Wings so far as we're aware.

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1) Negotiations stall.
2) Player elects arbitration.
3) Arbitrator rules with a number between the two sides.

The sky is falling! Everybody is being traded! Fire sale in Detroit!

There's a very new cap situation. And a GM making solid progress on a major rebuild. Pump the brakes on the doom and gloom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad