Confirmed Trade: [DET/STL] Robby Fabbri for Jacob de la Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't think honestly that you can blame St. Louis for trading away Fabbri, even if they got not much in return. The Blues are much deeper up front and Fabbri was going to be in tough for real minutes to succeed with. On Detroit he immediately jumped into the Top 6 with at least 2nd pp time and has struck gold. Everything he does right now seems to work, which is quite the actual opposite of 2019-2020 Red Wing hockey.
JDL got an assist last night.

I don't think we can say that St. Louis got "little" or "nothing" in return. They got a "serviceable" bottom six forward and they were able to find a forever home for Fabbri.

While they certainly didn't win this trade they did OK too.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I don't think we can say that St. Louis got "little" or "nothing" in return. They got a "serviceable" bottom six forward and they were able to find a forever home for Fabbri.

Was Sarah McClachlan pleading with people on television to stop abuse and neglect of Fabbri, while "In the Arms of the Angels" played in the background? :laugh:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I wasn't saying nothing or little because I necessarily think so, I said it because there are a number of people on here running the trade into the ground, because of DLR being the return and calling it nothing or little. I was more defending the Blues side of things as not being a bad reason to make the trade, as they needed a more defensive lower line forward and had no space for Fabbri in their top 6.

Reactions: Mike Jones

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Everybody wins - both teams got what they needed and the players ended up in better situations. Doesn't need to be winners and losers all the time - that leads to teams not wanting to trade with you.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
De La Rose is great defensively. He will be a good depth guy for another run at the cup. He is a better guy to have on the 4th line.

Fabbri needs to score

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think honestly that you can blame St. Louis for trading away Fabbri, even if they got not much in return. The Blues are much deeper up front and Fabbri was going to be in tough for real minutes to succeed with. On Detroit he immediately jumped into the Top 6 with at least 2nd pp time and has struck gold. Everything he does right now seems to work, which is quite the actual opposite of 2019-2020 Red Wing hockey.
With all the injuries, the Blues had the opportunity to alot him that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Was Sarah McClachlan pleading with people on television to stop abuse and neglect of Fabbri, while "In the Arms of the Angels" played in the background? :laugh:
It was the only word I could think of before morning coffee. Plus my rescue dog was sitting by the computer whining while I typed it out.

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm just so happy for Fabbri. I love a comeback story, and Fabbri's is a Masterton level feel-good story this season.

Great to see his talent finally establish him as a legit scoring weapon.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
De La Rose is great defensively. He will be a good depth guy for another run at the cup. He is a better guy to have on the 4th line.

Fabbri needs to score
Yeah, who needs a guy that can score goals when you can have a replacement level player who can play league average defense without letting any of that pesky offense get in the way.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, it happens to every team. Right now the Blues are reaping the benefits of acquiring Oskar Sundqvist from Pittsburgh for Ryan Reaves.

With the emergence of him and Barbashev, plus Blais (unfortunately he’s injured right now) and Kyrou who has looked good so far, the depth is there for the Blues.

Fabbri looks different, in a good way of course, in his limited time with the Wings than he did in all of his last 50+ games with the Blues.

People can criticize Armstrong all they want I guess but some players really just need a change of scenery. It happens and there’s not a whole lot that can be done about it. You can only carry 23 guys on one roster and Fabbri, rightfully, was worried about his future chances at getting an NHL contract. He needed more opportunity than STL had to offer and he’s capitalized on it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We all know Armstrong did us a favor. Do you know how bad a position Fabbri would be in if he remained getting 8 min a night this year?

He could easily be seen as a 2-time ACL/MCL injured player, who can't make a roster. He would have had a hard time ever making the NHL again. Armstrong gave him a chance to have a career. And Fabbri has already proved himself worthy of another contract.

Us red wings fans owe Armstrong Big time for him being a great guy, and moving Fabbri to a place he would get the best opportunity.

This was not the best deal Armstrong could have got... this was the best opportunity Fabbri would get though.

This has personal written all over it. Thank You Armstrong :)
Signed "Fabbri, and Wings fans"

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Love seeing Fabbri light it up. His attitude through it all was great. He works his butt off and this was absolutely Army doing Fabbri a favor. Imagine if he hung in to him though and he made this impact through all the injuries. Damn.

All and all, I am just happy that Fabbri has returned to form. He is my pick for the Masterton this year.

Reactions: BinCookin

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
We all know Armstrong did us a favor. Do you know how bad a position Fabbri would be in if he remained getting 8 min a night this year?

He could easily be seen as a 2-time ACL/MCL injured player, who can't make a roster. He would have had a hard time ever making the NHL again. Armstrong gave him a chance to have a career. And Fabbri has already proved himself worthy of another contract.

Us red wings fans owe Armstrong Big time for him being a great guy, and moving Fabbri to a place he would get the best opportunity.

This was not the best deal Armstrong could have got... this was the best opportunity Fabbri would get though.

This has personal written all over it. Thank You Armstrong :)
Signed "Fabbri, and Wings fans"

This trade is finally helping me get over the Adam Oates for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney trade.

Edit: spellchecked Federko

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Have you ever played hockey?
Yes, and I also understand how to manage organizational assets. You?

Edit: Let me put this another way. If you have 6 hammers and 2 screwdrivers, would you trade a screwdriver for another hammer? Now fast forward to a time when you really need another screwdriver and don't have one to spare, but you've still got a bag full of hammers. Now what? The Blues have plenty of hammers (defensive forwards) but have had trouble scoring goals. They had only two healthy players in the organization that weren't already in the lineup in Fabbri and Kyrou (our two screwdrivers) that could reasonably be expected to address scoring needs at the NHL level, and they traded one of them for a player with the same basic skill set as six other guys already under contract to the team. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Let me put this another way. If you have 6 hammers and 2 screwdrivers, would you trade a screwdriver for another hammer? Now fast forward to a time when you really need another screwdriver and don't have one to spare, but you've still got a bag full of hammers. Now what? The Blues have plenty of hammers (defensive forwards) but have had trouble scoring goals. They had only two healthy players in the organization that weren't already in the lineup in Fabbri and Kyrou (our two screwdrivers) that could reasonably be expected to address scoring needs at the NHL level, and they traded one of them for a player with the same basic skill set as six other guys already under contract to the team. Does that make sense?

No.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yes, and I also understand how to manage organizational assets. You?

Edit: Let me put this another way. If you have 6 hammers and 2 screwdrivers, would you trade a screwdriver for another hammer? Now fast forward to a time when you really need another screwdriver and don't have one to spare, but you've still got a bag full of hammers. Now what? The Blues have plenty of hammers (defensive forwards) but have had trouble scoring goals. They had only two healthy players in the organization that weren't already in the lineup in Fabbri and Kyrou (our two screwdrivers) that could reasonably be expected to address scoring needs at the NHL level, and they traded one of them for a player with the same basic skill set as six other guys already under contract to the team. Does that make sense?

I doubt you know how to manage anything if you can't even acknowledge DLR has above average defense. You said his defense is "average at best".

You're failing biggly right from the start.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I doubt you know how to manage anything if you can't even acknowledge DLR has above average defense. You said his defense is "average at best".

You're failing biggly right from the start.

No, he isn't wrong. We've watched him play, and compared to the rest of the forwards on the Blues roster, JDLR is average on defense. Not great, not bad, just not worthy of mention in either direction. Maybe we just have higher expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad