Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Red Wings re-sign Dylan Larkin (5 years, $6.1M AAV)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think this is a good deal for Larkin. He gets to UFA and can get a huge contract for the 2nd half of his prime, whether that be from the wings or elsewhere.
A 8 year deal would have been better for them, but then the AAV would have been closer to 8.

All around its a good contract. But I don't think its a steal by any means.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Gotta get those lotto picks. The Pittsburgh model.
The Pens only missed the playoffs for 4 consecutive seasons in the 2000’s but people act like it was a decade.
The Wings are going to need a hell of a lot more time than 4 years before they become relevant again. Good thing they play in that weak ass division with Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The Pens only missed the playoffs for 4 consecutive seasons in the 2000’s but people act like it was a decade.
The Wings are going to need a hell of a lot more time than 4 years before they become relevant again. Good thing they play in that weak ass division with Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo.

Do me a favor and name as many top 6 forwards that Pittsburgh has drafted in the last 20 years as you can. And top 2 picks don't count. And by the way, in the four consecutive years that you missed you picked first twice and second twice... Way to leave that part out.

I count one. Two others that could be on the fringe. Either way, one to three top 6 forwards in 20 years is an abomination.

And I hate to break it to you, but Detroit may very well be a lottery pick or two away from being back in it. They've already built their supporting cast, and practically had a lottery level pick fall into their lap with Zadina.

Last edited:

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
He's stated, several times, he's not throwing out a bunch of young kids on the ice to sink or swim. He wants some vets around so the kids don't become complacent and learn how to train and prepare the right way game in and game out

Also a great point! I was speaking more specifically to cap management including a commitment to spending to the limit, but yes those veterans are valuable mentors.

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada

Yeah, 4 Seasons where they were practically top 3 in the draft, including a luck in the lottery lol. 5 consecutive seasons of top 5 in draft if you include 2002.

I always find it funny how Penguins fanatics in general attack teams like the Oilers for being high in the draft, when your team has won cups through massive tanking (yes, it is lol) and lottery luck.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
AAV is on point. I'd be sweating over the term if I were a Wings fan.

Why?

If he plays well in the next 4 or 5 years, his next contract will be big anyway, so what does it matter if it is 6-8 years??? Also, if he plays well, we lock him up to an 8 year UFA deal 2-3 years younger, than if he signed now for the extra years. An 8 year deal at 27, is better than an 8 year at 29-30!

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
feels like only 1 in 10 contracts being signed the past couple years meets my approval. here is another one that seems ok.

larkin is a first line player who is key to the wings marketing plan and an exciting player for the fans to watch. 6 mill is the going rate for this type of player.

not a great deal... not a bad deal... just one that feels like it makes sense

Reactions: John Belushi

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Maybe it’s time to separate out the types of teams Holland has had to deal with. He’s clearly good at maintaining a cup contending team with great talent and was seemingly terrible and dealing with a declining team. This is his first real rebuild and maybe he’s good at it.

I also thing the one thing that’s overlooked is since he knows how to manage a cup contender he’s taking into account things like setting manageable contract for a captain so that his future contracts have a cap and accounting for things like signing a Vanek and Green to show the future captain they will use that extra space to always get better instead of just sitting on extra cap space that could have gone to the best player. It’s a rose colored interpretation of Holland to be sure... but worth considering.
I never understood why people think Holland wouldn't be able to rebuild a team. The dude's probably the most patient GM in the NHL, and patience is perhaps the #1 best quality a GM can have in a rebuild. Letting prospects develop, not trying to cut corners via big trades or FA, building steadily through the draft and focusing on having the right development pipeline and support for young players.. this is Holland's MO.

5 consecutive years of top 5 picks, 4 consecutive years of top 2 picks, including getting incredibly lucky to land Crosby+Malkin. Let's see where Detroit is at after 1-2 more years drafting in the top 10.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Straight to UFA? This is a mistake.

You either bridge if you're pressed for cap or you sign for 8 years. You don't do this.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Just realized Larkin had 63 points last season, wow pretty good.

Yeah, last season was by far the best Larkin has ever been. It was his first time playing center full time at the NHL level too.

I really think he's going to push for 70+ points with a better power play and a normalized shooting percentage. Our pp was putrid and Larkin shot at sub 5% for most of the season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, last season was by far the best Larkin has ever been. It was his first time playing center full time at the NHL level too.

I really think he's going to push for 70+ points with a better power play and a normalized shooting percentage. Our pp was putrid and Larkin shot at sub 5% for most of the season.
I expect very big season for him and Mantha

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Do me a favor and name as many top 6 forwards that Pittsburgh has drafted in the last 20 years as you can. And top 2 picks don't count. And by the way, in the four consecutive years that you missed you picked first twice and second twice... Way to leave that part out.

I count one. Two others that could be on the fringe. Either way, one to three top 6 forwards in 20 years is an abomination.

And I hate to break it to you, but Detroit may very well be a lottery pick or two away from being back in it. They've already built their supporting cast, and practically had a lottery level pick fall into their lap with Zadina.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad