Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Red Wings re-sign Dylan Larkin (5 years, $6.1M AAV)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
giphy.gif
Why is this limited to name forwards that we drafted? Shero was awful at drafting players overall, so I’m not surprised we don’t have a lot of home grown talent.

Kessel was acquired using a first round pick
Brassard was acquired using a first round pick
Sheahan was acquired using a draft pick and a scrub
Hornqvist was acquired via trade
Hagelin was acquired via trade

Guentzel and Rust were draft picks as well as Murray, Maatta, Letang,

I’m not sure what your argument is here?? How does it matter if you draft or acquire forwards???

Nice job throwing $6+ AAV at a guy that has scored 33 goals over the last 162 games.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Why is this limited to name forwards that we drafted? Shero was awful at drafting players overall, so I’m not surprised we don’t have a lot of home grown talent.

Kessel was acquired using a first round pick
Brassard was acquired using a first round pick
Sheahan was acquired using a draft pick and a scrub
Hornqvist was acquired via trade
Hagelin was acquired via trade

Guentzel and Rust were draft picks as well as Murray, Maatta, Letang,

I’m not sure what your argument is here?? How does it matter if you draft or acquire forwards???

Nice job throwing $6+ AAV at a guy that has scored 33 goals over the last 162 games.

1. Because you suck at drafting, and it's pretty evident. You've drafted Guentzel as a top 6 forward. If you really want to stretch it, you could argue Ryan Malone and Matt Moulson. It starts and ends there. Three guys in 20 years. And guess what, Ray Shero wasn't the only guy in charge over that entire period.

2. It matters because you're in here criticizing other teams when Pittsburgh would still be in the dumpster if the league hadn't gifted you four top 2 picks in a row. As I said earlier, show me a team that wouldn't be a contender with McDavid/Laine/Hischier/Svechnikov over the last four years.

3. I agree, it is a very nice job. See, Larkin job isn't to score goals, bud. He'll be racking up the assists dishing it to Mantha or Zadina. He's pretty good at that... Had as many assists last year as Guentzel had points. :laugh:

Oh, and we didn't need a lottery pick to acquire him...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1. Because you suck at drafting, and it's pretty evident. You've drafted Guentzel as a top 6 forward. If you really want to stretch it, you could argue Ryan Malone and Matt Moulson. It starts and ends there. Three guys in 20 years. And guess what, Ray Shero wasn't the only guy in charge over that entire period.

2. It matters because you're in here criticizing other teams when Pittsburgh would still be in the dumpster if the league hadn't gifted you four top 2 picks in a row. As I said earlier, show me a team that wouldn't be a contender with McDavid/Laine/Hischier/Svechnikov over the last four years.

3. I agree, it is a very nice job. See, Larkin job isn't to score goals, bud. He'll be racking up the assists dishing it to Mantha or Zadina. He's pretty good at that... Had as many assists last year as Guentzel had points. :laugh:

Oh, and we didn't need a lottery pick to acquire him...
If you are going to play that game then Larkin was the 15th overall pick while Jake Guentzel was taken 77th overall.

Congrats on finding a decent player with the 15th overall pick from 4 years ago.

The Penguins have routinely traded their first round picks as of late. So I’m not surprised their drafting record over the last 20 years is pathetic. You can’t really compare the drafting done by the Pens and Wings.

The Penguins’ draft strategy is going to bite them in the ass. They will be a bottom 5-10 in 5 years or so.

But I wouldn’t be that excited as a Wings fan either. But lucky for you they play in one awful division besides the big 3.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you are going to play that game then Larkin was the 15th overall pick while Jake Guentzel was taken 77th overall.

Congrats on finding a decent player with the 15th overall pick from 4 years ago.

The Penguins have routinely traded their first round picks as of late. So I’m not surprised their drafting record over the last 20 years is pathetic. You can’t really compare the drafting done by the Pens and Wings.

The Penguins’ draft strategy is going to bite them in the ass. They will be a bottom 5-10 in 5 years or so.

But I wouldn’t be that excited as a Wings fan either. But lucky for you they play in one awful division besides the big 3.

Do you really want to go over later round picks between the Penguins and the Wings over the last 20 years? I don't think you do, lol.

Detroit is certainly a bottom 5, probably bottom 3 team this year. Maybe next year as well. But bottom 5 teams reward bottom 5 players, as you know very well. Add a lottery forward and lottery defender to Detroit's U25 roster and they shape up to being a pretty damn good team.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Lol
Zetterberg 7th rd 210th
Datsyuk 6th rd 171 st
Lidström 3rd rd 53rd
Osgood 3rd rd 54th
Kozlov 3rd 45th
Holmstrom 10th rd 257th
Fedorov 4th rd 74th
Konstantinov 11th rd 221st
Filppula 3rd 95th
Franzen 3rd rd 97th
We clearly cant draft or develop or keep players our best pick or highest pick was Primeau at 3rd over all in 1990. We have had some good picks this year and a few in the last couple so for give us for being excited about them.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol
Zetterberg 7th rd 210th
Datsyuk 6th rd 171 st
Lidström 3rd rd 53rd
Osgood 3rd rd 54th
Kozlov 3rd 45th
Holmstrom 10th rd 257th
Fedorov 4th rd 74th
Konstantinov 11th rd 221st
Filppula 3rd 95th
Franzen 3rd rd 97th
We clearly cant draft or develop or keep players our best pick or highest pick was Primeau at 3rd over all in 1990. We have had some good picks this year and a few in the last couple so for give us for being excited about them.
How many of those players are on the team this year?

You are living in the past. Friggin Lidström was drafted in the 80’s....

Just hold onto the memories of when the Wings were relevant...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The AAV is great, but the term sucks for a franchise-ish player. They only bought one UFA year, he'll be a UFA at 26. Assuming he's a good 1C at that point, he'll be getting paid mega-bucks (with the way the cap keeps rising, probably well over $10 mil/year), and possibly playing for a different team. Something more like 8 years, $7.5-8 mil/year would have been a much better deal for the Wings IMO.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
points don't tell the whole story. the guy is one of the most underrated players on these boards. in a year or two this deal will look like a highway robbery for the wings.
The only way it'll be 'highway robbery' for the Wings is if Larkin averages 80 plus pts, and centers a line that has both wingers hitting 30 plus goals...Otherwise it's a solid deal for both sides.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Just in the last 20 years.

Tyler Bertuzzi - 58th
Andreas Athanasiou - 110th
Tatar - 60th
Nyquist - 121st

Abdelkader - 42nd
Helm - 132nd
Franzen - 97th
Hudler - 58th
Filppula - 95th
Zetterberg - 210th
Datsyuk - 171st

Guys in bold are top 6 talents. Bertuzzi and Athanasiou still could hit that level.

Meanwhile you have Guentzel. Well done! Maybe in five years when the Pens are back in the tank Super Mario can threaten to relocate again so the league will gift you another superstar.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The AAV is great, but the term sucks for a franchise-ish player. They only bought one UFA year, he'll be a UFA at 26. Assuming he's a good 1C at that point, he'll be getting paid mega-bucks (with the way the cap keeps rising, probably well over $10 mil/year), and possibly playing for a different team. Something more like 8 years, $7.5-8 mil/year would have been a much better deal for the Wings IMO.

Highly, highly doubtful. There's a higher probability that an asteroid collides with earth that wipe-outs mankind before that ever happens.

If Larkin plays like a $12 million dollar per/yr superstar and captain, Wings will gladly pay him his well deserved $12 million per. No qualms.

Reactions: Oddbob

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Haha, this is just spiteful and petty which means you have no real argument.

We've been relevant a hell of a lot longer than you and we weren't gifted a Malkin and Crosby.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

The deal is just fine. We'll have no problem keeping him.

We will likely have boatload of cap space so affording him won't be an issue.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
6.1M player now (2nd line money) and probably ~9M player after this current contract (lowish 1st line player money) with possible 95M-100M cap.

Nothing but reasonable.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is a Pens fan coming in here and running down a very good standard 2nd contract? Still sore that they lost in 2008? Annoyed that the Pens run at the top won't last much longer? I mean what is it?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Why is a Pens fan coming in here and running down a very good standard 2nd contract? Still sore that they lost in 2008? Annoyed that the Pens run at the top won't last much longer? I mean what is it?
He stated something and a bunch of wings fans got triggered. It's them that's the issue not the pens fan. He's probably not thought of 2008 as the penguins got redemption in 2009 and have won the cup in back to back seasons.

Reactions: CujosMask

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He stated something and a bunch of wings fans got triggered. It's them that's the issue not the pens fan. He's probably not thought of 2008 as the penguins got redemption in 2009 and have won the cup in back to back seasons.

If he is running down a contract of a player on another team, and has no stake in the matter, than he is indeed the issue! I don't go in Pens contract threads, and run down deals they made, even when I think the contract is bad, so other than trolling people, why do it?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If he is running down a contract of a player on another team, and has no stake in the matter, than he is indeed the issue! I don't go in Pens contract threads, and run down deals they made, even when I think the contract is bad, so other than trolling people, why do it?
You don't do that, but you also don't get defensive and change the topic to put down the original poster. Whoever did that, in this case the red wings fans, is the issue.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You don't do that, but you also don't get defensive and change the topic to put down the original poster. Whoever did that, in this case the red wings fans, is the issue.
<insert insult about the Leafs>

Seriously though, the dude came in here just to tell us we weren't making the playoffs for 5 years......

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
<insert insult about the Leafs>

Seriously though, the dude came in here just to tell us we weren't making the playoffs for 5 years......
Well that's a possibility, an unlikely one though.

You guys must be more defensive about your team than I am about mine. I wouldn't get offended if he said that about my team.

Reactions: TheMule93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->