Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Red Wings re-sign Dylan Larkin (5 years, $6.1M AAV)

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I think it's absolutely hilarious that anyone thinks this is a bad deal... Sounds like sour grapes to me. Washington fan? Not happy with the Wilson contract? Idk.

Today, when the contract was signed, it's a great contract. And it's very, very unlikely that Detroit sucks for the entirety of the contract. Chicago won the Cup after 1 year making the playoffs and losing. Let's say everything works out and they make the playoffs on a couple years, it's not unprecedented for them to win the Cup the next year. Even PIT won the Cup 3 years after being God-awful.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think Holland dropped the ball on this one. I’m a firm believe you should lock you’re core players on 7-8 year deals, especially your best player which Larkin is.

No reason to believe Larkin won’t be a consistent 60+ point 2 way center, especially as the talen around him gets better. I think he’ll be a career long red wing which is why they should of just done an 8 year deal to begin with.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think Holland dropped the ball on this one. I’m a firm believe you should lock you’re core players on 7-8 year deals, especially your best player which Larkin is.

No reason to believe Larkin won’t be a consistent 60+ point 2 way center, especially as the talen around him gets better. I think he’ll be a career long red wing which is why they should of just done an 8 year deal to begin with.

I have very high hopes for Larkin but to say there's no reason to believe that is absurd. He's done it once, and it was in a heavily inflated scoring year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You know, you hope in 5 years you can build a contender around him and convince him to re-up again. I mean, we are talking 2023. In the meantime, you get him at a really, really fair price that will only look better as time goes on and gives you flexibility to make more improvements.

Yes, we all want our franchise players to sign lifetime agreements but a little hard for me to believe there would be any crying over this deal. It’s solid for both parties. Now Detroit just has to get better.

I almost can’t wait for the day somebody in a trade value thread brings up that player “X” will be an UFA in three years and that kills his value. I mean people are already constantly arguing that a guy with two years left is “essentially a rental”. Heard that non-stop with Duchene before he got traded.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah. It also makes me feel like the current lack of cap space factored in, which is dumb.

Nah. Whether we agree with it, this is what Holland wanted to do. If he wanted to go longer Vanek would've never been signed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nah. Whether we agree with it, this is what Holland wanted to do. If he wanted to go longer Vanek would've never been signed.

Yeah, I’d hope that’s the case. It’s a solid deal, just was hoping for a little hometown discount on a long deal. Happy to have him and see what he does this year after last year.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Cap hit is $100K more than I expected. Can't complain.

Haven't crunched the numbers, but I think there's a good chance of going into the season without having to waive anybody. Which is like the first time in a while.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It's gonna be really funny to see how much different things will be next offseason. This year everybody was having a heart attack about cap space. Next year we could be looking at:

Larkin - $6.1M
Mantha - $3.3M
Athanasiou - $3.0M
Bertuzzi - $1.4M
Zadina - $.925M
Rasmussen - $.895M
Cholowski - $.895M
Svechnikov - $.864M
Hronek - $.715M

Under $19M wrapped up in nine players. Hell, they could potentially run at Seguin or Karlsson.

EDIT: FWIW, I highly doubt either player would come here.
it seems delusional to not include the players with long term deals and/or ntc/nmc. they take up a significant amount of cap space.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
it seems delusional to not include the players with long term deals and/or ntc/nmc. they take up a significant amount of cap space.

Realistically, with those 9 on the roster, Detroit would have 11 forwards, 6 defenders, and a goalie. They'd have roughly $66M on the cap, and that's before Franzen, and almost certainly Zetterberg, get LTIR'ed, opening another $8.1M. (I'm assuming an $81M cap) That'd give them over $20M to sign a goalie (I believe Holland will bring Howard back) and another forward and defender.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AAV is on point. I'd be sweating over the term if I were a Wings fan.

I am confused by this logic... Why do you think the Wings are afraid of signing a 27 year old Larkin to an 8 year deal at that point? They will and things would have to go incredibly sideways for Larkin to want to leave his hometown O6 team that he is about to be the captain of. Both parties already talk about him being a lifelong Red Wing.

I mean they could have signed him longer, to me this was also a hey let's see where the new CBA is at and don't worry we are always going to take care of you. Especially since the league sometimes decides to retroactively punish teams that played by their own rules... I mean I get how some can say you can never trust in things like that but the odds aren't exactly against him getting a max deal at big dollars when this is over, there is a trust with the organization and player here that is pretty apparent. I am curious how they sold Larkin on one year less but he is the face of the franchise, the Wings take care of their own sometimes to a fault, but our captain hasn't suited up for another team since 86', gamble that Larkin is the first and bounces in five years, I find that extremely unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad