Confirmed Trade: [DET/PIT] Riley Sheahan and 2018 5th round pick for Scott Wilson and 2018 3rd round pick

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
sheahan will have a period where he will be playing with crosby and will get a lot of points and people will be like 'that sheahan is a real steal ain't he?'

I don't see him playing wing here though.

Playing him with Crosby and getting his coincidence back isn't actually a bad idea.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Sheahan has left a lot more to be desired and not just in scoring, but winning puck battles, passing and how to properly use his team-mates. He's not been great at faceoffs.

The last 2 season's (last season and this season), it feels like he's just a warm body filling a void. I was high on him when we drafted him, but as far as I am concerned... he's essentially a bust. Doubt he'll turn it around

Reactions: iSophagus

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I don't like that trade at all. Should've been Kuhnhackl instead of Wilson.
Trade was bad for Pittsburgh. Sheahan had little value. Detroit needed to dump him. We give up a decent fourth line winger who had more points than Sheahan last year and a third round pick, for a guy that hasn't done anything at all good in the last two years and a fifth? At worst, the deal would have been Wilson for Sheahan and no flipping of picks. That is too much to give up for him.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I didn't miss the pick coming back, I just think it's irrelevant since the odds of them getting a decent player in the 5th round is incredibly low. A third round pick, however, has been quite good to the Pens over the past ten years.

16 3rd rounds picks since 2000. 7 become regular players, and only 4 were of any significance (Letang, Murray, Guentzel and Rust). I think we'll be fine dropping back 35-50 spots in the draft.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nice job Kenny Holland, Detroit definitely won this trade.

Weren't there reports of him being offered a 2nd for Sheahan last spring?

The bottom line is Detroit gave up the more valuable player in the deal. But if you're happy getting a guy who's been a healthy scratch for 70% of the season so far, I'm not going to complain. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Weren't there reports of him being offered a 2nd for Sheahan last spring?

The bottom line is Detroit gave up the more valuable player in the deal. But if you're happy getting a guy who's been a healthy scratch for 70% of the season so far, I'm not going to complain. ;)

Or declaring a 'win' before either player has played for either team.

For fun go look at the thread when the Pens traded for Schultz and the instant analysis there. I could point to many of those, even merely involving the Pens the past couple of years. JR has done quite well dumpster diving in the past couple of years.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Pens lost this trade. I am not sure what JR was thinking. They should have made the Wings pay to get Sheehan off their books.

Reactions: iSophagus

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep, starting to think Boterill was the reason JR made good trades, now he's off in Buffalo while we get Carolina JR.

Buffalo's the 2nd worst team in the East. Maybe a little early to start the Botterill coronation, unless he wants to share the cart-before-the-horse crown with Chayka.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hearing the same things from Red Wings fans about Riley Sheahan that I heard coming from Edmonton Oilers fans about Justin Schultz and that is now 2 cups ago.;)

1. Justin Schultz was hardly the key to both of those Cups... Sure he may have contributed, but he was hardly the tide turner...

2. I think most Detroit fans here have admitted that it's possible Sheahan bounces back on a different team. Just because they're criticizing his performances on Detroit doesn't mean he wont find success somewhere else. He just wasn't cutting it here anymore.

That being said, even if Sheahan does bounce back, Detroit still got more out of him than he's currently worth.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
1. Justin Schultz was hardly the key to both of those Cups... Sure he may have contributed, but he was hardly the tide turner...

2. I think most Detroit fans here have admitted that it's possible Sheahan bounces back on a different team. Just because they're criticizing his performances on Detroit doesn't mean he wont find success somewhere else. He just wasn't cutting it here anymore.

That being said, even if Sheahan does bounce back, Detroit still got more out of him than he's currently worth.

Most recent cup Schultz was an important cog without Letang out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep, starting to think Boterill was the reason JR made good trades, now he's off in Buffalo while we get Carolina JR.

The same Boterill that was around when Shero signed a decrepit Adams to a two year deal along with the Scuds, Kunitz and Dupuis deals? Let's not even get into the assets pissed away by Shero while Boterill was there...

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Didn't some guy here predict almost exactly this trade? The players were the same but I believe the pick was different..
Right here. I predicted Wilson+3rd in an early thread. Did not put in the fifth but I got the 3 most important parts of the deal right. Let me go find it.

EDIT: Since the thread is now closed and I can’t quote what I said, a mod quoted it in page 3 if you would like to see it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I was pretty surprised that there was chatter about a Sheahan trade, and I'm even more surprised that this actually got done. I don't see this as a solution for PIT.

I guess, more than anything, this should show us the low value of draft picks. HF always thinks that picks are golden, but this proves GMs don't exactly agree. There's far less buying power in a 3rd rounder than most of us expected.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

So Justin Schultz was not a key part of our cup last year with Letang sidelined the whole playoffs? That's a new one to me...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad