Confirmed Trade: [DET/PIT] Riley Sheahan and 2018 5th round pick for Scott Wilson and 2018 3rd round pick

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If Sheahan bounces back this will look good for the Pens. I think he can, but it's far from a sure thing. On paper it's a huge win for Detroit. Get both the more useful player at the moment and a better pick.
Good luck to Riley and hope for Pens fans sake he starts playing with some more drive again and turns into the 30-40 point #3C he can be.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
JR was sorta backed into a corner as well here cuz the shine on McKegg was wearing off fast. Last few games+ the most trusted FO takers were Rowney and Sid. He needed some help down the middle or run Sid and sometimes Geno ragged throughout the season which he realized he can't do.

I think Sheahan can bounce back in another system, not sure if it'll work in Pittsburgh tbh tho.

Can any Pens fans chime in about Wilson? don't think I've seen him play much.

Wilson is a bottom 6 energy guy mostly. No blazing speed but he can get there and be physical. He can fill in in the top 6 wing in a pinch but certainly won't be a regular there.
I'd call him a non-experienced PK'er. Like he could probably do it but didn't do much of it with PIT.

Sure JR wants Sheahan to play against the top line, but we all know other teams are using their top guys against either Malkin/Crosby so Sheahan's in a position to succeed here against weaker opponents.

I think JR more meant in defensive draw situations. Sully used to have Cullen, Bonino or Sid he could throw out there. This season he started with Sid, McKegg and Rowney and was getting more and more away from using McKegg. So you can see why JR was sorta in need of something more down the middle.

As long as Pens aren't playing Sheahan as the net front presence on the PP(or anywhere on the PP), they should be fine.

He's not gonna wow anybody with his play, but he's not gonna cost games with it.

PIT could/might use him on PP2 if he can win draws better than Guentzel.

You’re welcome. I like Pittsburgh, too. And giving up a high-quality depth guy who can play up and down the lineup and a third round pick for an average fourth-liner who does not give the Pens anything they do not already have, when that player was a must-trade by his former team, is a significant and foolish overpay. What if that pick becomes the next Guentzel?

And what if the next college FA PIT signs becomes Sheary?
More than one way to skin a cat.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Odd. Red Wings had no leverage because they had to make the trade. Why is the pick swap this way around? Almost reminds me of that Gudbranson deal where they just gifted a 2nd rounder for no reason.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well that took a while. We all knew it was coming. Pittsburgh really made good on this. Gave up nothing of real value for a potential long term #3C.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You’re welcome. I like Pittsburgh, too. And giving up a high-quality depth guy who can play up and down the lineup and a third round pick for an average fourth-liner who does not give the Pens anything they do not already have, when that player was a must-trade by his former team, is a significant and foolish overpay. What if that pick becomes the next Guentzel?

Actually he does. Pittsburgh's center depth is terrible (even before losing our #4C to a broken hand/thumb tonight). Sheahan - even playing terribly will help there. He also gives us a little more size down the middle.

As for Wilson being a "high quality depth guy"... he was also a healthy scratch and would have only been playing on the 4th line even if he cracked the lineup. So as much as I like him (I do), losing him isn't a loss at all. Pittsburgh still has Archibald waiting to get into the lineup. And then there's probably 4-5 others in WBS who would fill in just fine.

And while it's certainly possible that the pick does turn into the next Guentzel... it's much more likely that it turns into the next nothing player that doesn't make the NHL. Since 2000 (to 2013), Pittsburgh had 16 3rd round picks. Only 7 played 200+ NHL games (well 4 actually, but I'll give credit to Rust, Murray and Guentzel), and of those 7, only 4 turned into anything decent (Guentzel, Murray, Letang and Rust). So while sure it would suck if Detroit picked a great player with that pick... the odds of dropping 35-50 spots in the draft being a huge issue is fairly minimal. Especially as that pick likely wouldn't be someone who would be making an impact here for 4+ years.

The bottom line is we turned a healthy scratch and dropping back 35-50 picks in the draft into someone who could make a big impact on our center depth and #3C situation. And if he doesn't? Then we still have the cap space and assets to keep shopping.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Was the prediction Sheahan for Wilson?

There's been quite a few predictions in terms of where the player would go, not the exact package though.

There was a thread a day or two ago that had these 2 players. A few we're saying Pitt adds a 3rd but most (on both sides mind you) that Pitt sending a 1st they would do. Pens fans agreed that it was an overpayment but to get the player they wanted they seemed okay with paying it.

Seems like the few Pens fans balking at the idea of paying a 1st (and saying that it should be a 3rd) we're closer and the Wings actually added a 5th. We had it close (the exact players, just not the picks), but not perfect

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Odd. Red Wings had no leverage because they had to make the trade. Why is the pick swap this way around? Almost reminds me of that Gudbranson deal where they just gifted a 2nd rounder for no reason.

Because PiT needs the center depth just as badly as DET needs the cap space.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Wish it was just Sheahan for Wilson. Not a big fan of adding a 3rd when Detroit pretty much had to move Sheahan to fit Athanasiou's new deal on the books.

I feel like they agreed to Sheahan for a 3rd and then they agreed to Wilson for a 5th after the fact. Wilson would have been Pittsburgh's 15th forward if they had retained him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
As long as Pens aren't playing Sheahan as the net front presence on the PP(or anywhere on the PP), they should be fine.

He's not gonna wow anybody with his play, but he's not gonna cost games with it.

Unlikely he gets PP time (though could potentially get on the 2nd unit but I don't see him usurping Rust). Hornqvist is their net front guy on the PP and he's one of the best in the league at it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wish it was just Sheahan for Wilson. Not a big fan of adding a 3rd when Detroit pretty much had to move Sheahan to fit Athanasiou's new deal on the books.

The Pens didn't give up a third. Same mistake as with the Reave's trade.

The Pens swapped a third for a fifth. That means likely a low third for a high fifth, so dropping a few spots, and going from a 30 percent chance of a pick becoming a player to a 10 percent chance.

People always seem to miss the lower round pick coming back.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
For those that like the game and this kind of thing, here is this...

Riley Sheahan (C) - Big-bodied two-way player with a heavy shot. Sheahan brings more skill to the table than recent stat lines suggest. He has quick hands for a big man and a wrist shot that can score from distance. He has also shown some ability to shoot off of a pass. Quick release, though he can't shoot in stride very well. Definitely a better shooter than a passer, as the things that he sees on distribution opportunities are too often low percentage plays. Fundamentally, he is not a good skater. He lacks cross-over ability, has a poor first step and doesn't exhibit a good, deep knee bend to get his frame moving. However, he gets to where he's going at a decent clip. His skating with the puck is better than it is without it, oddly. His stickhandling gets a passing grade and would be considered well above the mark for a fourth line player, certainly. Defensively, he understands most of what's going on and is willing to come back deep to help out. The minor details elude him more often than they should. Body positioning on the wrong side, positional adjustment on low-to-high plays and controlling the "triangle" within his skate/stick zone of control are all things that loom as inconsistent for him. He has a good stick defensively away from his body and good reach. He is not as physical as you would expect from a player of his size and role. That said, his skating fundamentals set him up to fail in that regard given how little weight transfer he could generate and how feckless his first step is. This looks like a player better suited to play LW than C at this level - skating, shooting, defensive acumen - all point towards winger. It would certainly make it easier for him to carve out a niche, and that niche could even be a complementary piece on a scoring line of a poor team. Though it's more likely a notch below that.

Role: Third line, two-way forward with some untapped offensive upside

###

Scott Wilson (LW) - Energetic two-way winger with a good nose for the net. Wilson is still carving out a niche for himself in the NHL as he is a little bit in between styles even as a 25 year old. He has a strong work ethic and very good hockey sense, which makes him useful up and down the lineup. The main questions are: can his skill set bring consistent scoring to this level of play and is he strong enough to carve out a role as a complementary winger on a scoring line? Wilson is a very good skater and his edge work continues to improve. Unlike many depth wingers, Wilson is not uncomfortable handling the puck and has shown a good degree of escapability out of dead zones. He does a fine job of making himself available for passes in the NZ, though he doesn't have much upside as a noteworthy puck carrier across lines. His hockey sense opens up more options for him and allows him to understand the timing within systems very well. His finishing ability continues to improve and, as a result, he is now a potential factor from in close. Does very good work on the cycle but has some limitations due to his size and strength - good edgework, though, gives him a tiebreaker against some poorer skating defenders. Still not a finished product defensively in terms of perfecting stick/body positioning in certain situations, but he exhibits strong defensive awareness and is a willing backchecker.

Likely potential: Mid- to lower-tier bottom six energy winger
High ceiling: Complementary goal scoring winger like a less talented Chris Kunitz

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I came in here thinking this was an old thread someone bumped because one of the involved players had a good start. All the talk earlier on had me thinking this deal was done already.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wilson is a bottom 6 energy guy mostly. No blazing speed but he can get there and be physical. He can fill in in the top 6 wing in a pinch but certainly won't be a regular there.

Great. Holland loves giving those guys 5+ year $4M+ contracts...

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Be interesting if Sheahan can pick things up with Pittsburgh. Guy has talent, just needs to get it together.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
my thoughts on RS as an NHL player

Epxml_s-200x150.gif

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I like it for Detroit a better pick and Sheahan gone.

Wilson's 8 goals and 18 assists last season proves he can at least put up points on the bottom 2 lines, more so than what Sheahan was doing. i think it's a good trade for the Wings myself.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wilson's 8 goals and 18 assists last season proves he can at least put up points on the bottom 2 lines, more so than what Sheahan was doing. i think it's a good trade for the Wings myself.

Who is Wilson going to be playing with? Wilson was lucky last year in that we had two 3r d line centres in our bottom 6 (Bonino + Cullen), he should be good for 10ish goals 20 points though.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
sheahan will have a period where he will be playing with crosby and will get a lot of points and people will be like 'that sheahan is a real steal ain't he?'

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Picks are terribly overrated here. The only time a pick has real value is when its on the clock and you see what is available... even then the majority of prospects fail.

Unlike the Reaves trade though, this has big potential to work out fine for the Pens... Sheahan is 25, had a bad year last season on a really poor team, but the two previous had pretty good ones... he seems tge type that could play the shot disrupting role bonino did for us and chip in a little Offense with the wingers he will be playing with...

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Hearing the same things from Red Wings fans about Riley Sheahan that I heard coming from Edmonton Oilers fans about Justin Schultz and that is now 2 cups ago.;)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Pens didn't give up a third. Same mistake as with the Reave's trade.

The Pens swapped a third for a fifth. That means likely a low third for a high fifth, so dropping a few spots, and going from a 30 percent chance of a pick becoming a player to a 10 percent chance.

People always seem to miss the lower round pick coming back.

I didn't miss the pick coming back, I just think it's irrelevant since the odds of them getting a decent player in the 5th round is incredibly low. A third round pick, however, has been quite good to the Pens over the past ten years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad