Confirmed Trade: [DET/PIT] Riley Sheahan and 2018 5th round pick for Scott Wilson and 2018 3rd round pick

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A lot of Pens fans forget how bad Bones was when he first came to the team. He had 3 goals through mid-Jan and then he got hurt.

Basically, he looked like total ass.

Bones didn't become any great shakes until the HBK line was put together, when Kessel and Hagelin showed great chemistry with each other. I'm not saying Bones sponged off those guys, as he helped make that line effective as well, but it goes to show how a third pivot like him could be elevated by the play of his linemates.

Sheahan was a need to eat some of those hard minutes that Crosby and even Malkin had been eating. He's doing that. Any points will be gravy.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A 2nd? I would love to kick Holland in the nads even ore right now.

With our drafting success in the past maybe we'll find a sleeper with that 3rd round pick. We needed the cap space anyways and Sheahan wasn't coming back next year so it's a win-win trade honestly

Agreed. Will miss Wilson, but we just had no room for him here unless he could be more consistent - something many young players struggle with. And even if he found a way to be more consistent... we would still be struggling to find a roster spot for him. Hopefully he gets more playing time in Detroit. The 3rd is a 3rd. A late one, but still there.

Sheahan has looked good through 2 games so far after what could only be described as a disastrous season last year. Absolutely brutal stat line, but those things do happen from time to time - especially on struggling teams. He's still young-ish at 26, will be cheap to re-sign, gives us some PKing, adds size down the middle and should provide what we need for our #3 pivot going forward. The 5th should be an early/mid 5th, somewhere between 35-45 picks back from the 3rd we gave up.

As for Sheahan's offense... it's going to be directly tied with the winger support we give him. If one of Sheary or Kessel get bumped down... There's a chance he could get back to the 30-35pt range. If he stays with Hagelin and Hornqvist, it's likely a lot more like 20-25 pts.

Detroit shed cap space, gained a young winger with a little upside (even if it's remote he really hits it) and gets a late 3rd. Pittsburgh filled a gapping hole on the cheap and still has cap space to address later needs should they want to. Not sure how anyone can look at this and not think win/win.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just bumping this thread since Sheahan now has his 5th point in 6 games. He has looked really good with the Penguins so far in the 3C spot, with the only complaint I think anyone can legitimately have about his game is that he needs to score more goals. He's eating heavy Dzone minutes and excelling defensively in that role, his playmaking talents have been clearly apparent (4 primary assists, only secondary assist he created by stripping a puck and screening the goalie), he has killed penalties well, his possession stats are great considering his DZone starts, his faceoff numbers are of the charts good and he's producing at a good pace (31 points per 82 games, 26 ES points/82 games). Very happy with what Sheahan has done from the 3C spot so far, I just want him to be scoring some more goals. If he can score 10 goals in a season, he's indisputably a 3C, everything else in his game outside of goal scoring is clearly 3C caliber.

It would be nice to still have Wilson though, it would be nice to have another winger to push someone like Hagelin to the 4th line to help out that line and have Wilson on the 3rd line. Too bad Rutherford said no to Kuhnhackl and yes to Wilson in that trade.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Just bumping this thread since Sheahan now has his 5th point in 6 games. He has looked really good with the Penguins so far in the 3C spot, with the only complaint I think anyone can legitimately have about his game is that he needs to score more goals. He's eating heavy Dzone minutes and excelling defensively in that role, his playmaking talents have been clearly apparent (4 primary assists, only secondary assist he created by stripping a puck and screening the goalie), he has killed penalties well, his possession stats are great considering his DZone starts, his faceoff numbers are of the charts good and he's producing at a good pace (31 points per 82 games, 26 ES points/82 games). Very happy with what Sheahan has done from the 3C spot so far, I just want him to be scoring some more goals. If he can score 10 goals in a season, he's indisputably a 3C, everything else in his game outside of goal scoring is clearly 3C caliber.

It would be nice to still have Wilson though, it would be nice to have another winger to push someone like Hagelin to the 4th line to help out that line and have Wilson on the 3rd line. Too bad Rutherford said no to Kuhnhackl and yes to Wilson in that trade.
Send us over another nice draft pick and you can have Wilson back. He's hardly a need for this team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How is Scotty doing in DET?

Honestly I like his compete level and he definitely has some skill, doesn't get a lot of ice time though. Pleasantly surprised by him, he is capable of making some nice plays at times.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Sheahan has turned it around in PIT. He’s currently centering our fourth line with Tom Kuhnhackl and Ryan Reaves and has done a great job. He’s reinvented our fourth line with Rowney out with injury.

Sheahan in PIT so far:
37gp, 4 goals+10 assists, 13 out of 14 are ES points(1 SH assist), -1, 4 PIM, 8.9 S%, 57.2 FO%, .38 PPG

50.7 CF%, -3.4 CF% rel(lower than I originally thought), 98.9 PDO, 33.2 oZS%, 66.8 dZS%

Wilson in TOTAL:
32gp, 1 goal+1 assist, Both are ES points, -4, 2 PIM, 4.2 S%, .06 PPG

43.4 CF%, -4.3 CF% rel, 98.3 PDO, 42.5 oZS%, 57.5 dZS%

Lots of people said PIT lost the trade. I never saw it that way.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It wasn't a straight up, player for player trade. Still happy with a 3rd rounder for a player who just wasn't getting it anymore in Detroit.

I'm happy for Riley though, I was always one to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he could produce.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Sheahan has turned it around in PIT. He’s currently centering our fourth line with Tom Kuhnhackl and Ryan Reaves and has done a great job. He’s reinvented our fourth line with Rowney out with injury.

Sheahan in PIT so far:
37gp, 4 goals+10 assists, 13 out of 14 are ES points(1 SH assist), -1, 4 PIM, 8.9 S%, 57.2 FO%, .38 PPG

50.7 CF%, -3.4 CF% rel(lower than I originally thought), 98.9 PDO, 33.2 oZS%, 66.8 dZS%

Wilson in TOTAL:
32gp, 1 goal+1 assist, Both are ES points, -4, 2 PIM, 4.2 S%, .06 PPG

43.4 CF%, -4.3 CF% rel, 98.3 PDO, 42.5 oZS%, 57.5 dZS%

Lots of people said PIT lost the trade. I never saw it that way.
Glad that Sheahan is doing well in Pitt, I said all along with their team that he should do better then being in stagnant Detroit.

Reactions: td_ice and Shaffer

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The only way anybody could "Lose" the trade is if Sheahan continued to be the bum in Pittsburgh that he was in Detroit. Even if he had resurged to previous levels he was at in Detroit, he wasn't playing at that level in Detroit anymore. Detroit got a pretty good pick for a player who didn't even belong in the NHL with the way he was playing at the time.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The only way anybody could "Lose" the trade is if Sheahan continued to be the bum in Pittsburgh that he was in Detroit. Even if he had resurged to previous levels he was at in Detroit, he wasn't playing at that level in Detroit anymore. Detroit got a pretty good pick for a player who didn't even belong in the NHL with the way he was playing at the time.

Exactly the same as Pens trading Pouliot to Detroit, he was never going to turn it around here so anything we got for him was a bonus.

Reactions: Giskard and td_ice

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Yeah.

It was a win-win trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The trade ended up Sheahan for a 3rd, which isn't bad considering the Wings had cap issues they had to solve. Both teams come out of this trade happy, the Penguins get a 3C caliber player to be their 4C for probably a couple of years and the Wings get a decent draft pick and cap space for a guy who didn't fit there anymore.

Reactions: Shaffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad