Confirmed Trade: [DET/PIT] Riley Sheahan and 2018 5th round pick for Scott Wilson and 2018 3rd round pick

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sure JR wants Sheahan to play against the top line, but we all know other teams are using their top guys against either Malkin/Crosby so Sheahan's in a position to succeed here against weaker opponents.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sheahan will be playing with Hagelin and Hornqvist/Sheary, if he can't turn his game around here then I doubt he's going to turn it around anywhere.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
This year he has been centering the 4th line with Glendening and Booth/Witkowski rotating on the other wing.
Thanks. So I guess it's safe to say that with some combo of Hornqvist/Hagelin/Rust/Sheary he'll be upgrading in terms of wingers? It doesn't necessarily guarantee he'll have more success here of course, but it seems like it'll be a bit of a boost to his point totals.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
The same Rutherford that:

A. Traded a 3rd round pick for Justin Schultz, who is now a legitimate top-4 defenseman for the Penguins
B. Traded a washed up Scuderi for Trevor Daley, who was a legitimate top-4 defenseman for the Penguins
C. Traded spare part futures for Kessel, who was absolutely massive in 2 straight cup runs
D. Traded Perron for a struggling Hagelin, who had 43 points in 61 games in 2015-2016 regular season and playoffs combined for the Penguins
E. Traded Hainsey for a 2nd, who managed to play on a top pair role on a cup winner
F. Traded Sutter and a 3rd for Bonino and a 2nd
G. Signed Cullen when no one else wanted him

Yeah, I think his good far outweighs his bad here. I'll trust his take on this one.
Where was this Jim Rutherford from 2009-2014? Those Carolina teams were bad.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks. So I guess it's safe to say that with some combo of Hornqvist/Hagelin/Rust/Sheary he'll be upgrading in terms of wingers? It doesn't necessarily guarantee he'll have more success here of course, but it seems like it'll be a bit of a boost to his point totals.

Yes, much better wingers than he has had this year and last

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I get the reasoning but not the player Pens got. There has got to have been better options out there. Granted I havent looked at it deeply but still feels kidn aoff
I 100% get where your train of thought is but Pittsburgh is a victim of its own success with the trade market right now, none of the other 30 teams in the league are going to trade with Pittsburgh with out a sweetener on it. No GM is looking at the Penguins and does not have the thought, “they are on the cusp of a true sports dynasty, I am going to get every drop out of them in a trade if they come calling”.

Reactions: Giskard and Hobnobs

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Thought pens fans loves WIlson ? Cap saving in Detroit to bring AA back so good deal

"Love" is an extremely strong word and I would like to know where you got that impression. I like him as a player, but he is an easy player to replace.

I expect Sheahan to be better in Pittsburgh, like pretty much every other player who has joined the team in the last few years.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's a good move. He's a big body who can play the position well enough. He hasn't been able to score obviously, but this is a team that doesn't necessarily need him to. At least not as much as Detroit could've used it. Of course it's a little risky but this won't sink the pens boat if it doesn't work. I've liked him as a player, it's worth a shot.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
I think Sheahan can bounce back in another system, not sure if it'll work in Pittsburgh tbh tho.

Can any Pens fans chime in about Wilson? don't think I've seen him play much.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And now we have another answer for all the inevitable future 'Has there ever been a trade that HFBoards predicted?' threads (or "evidence" for the inevitable 'Do you think any NHL GMs read HFBoards?' threads) :

Riley Sheahan to Pittsburgh!

We did it HF!

Reactions: GJB

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
And now we have another answer for all the inevitable future 'Has there ever been a trade that HFBoards predicted?' threads (or "evidence" for the inevitable 'Do you think any NHL GMs read HFBoards?' threads) :

Riley Sheahan to Pittsburgh!

We did it HF!

Was the prediction Sheahan for Wilson?

There's been quite a few predictions in terms of where the player would go, not the exact package though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think Sheahan can bounce back in another system, not sure if it'll work in Pittsburgh tbh tho.

Can any Pens fans chime in about Wilson? don't think I've seen him play much.

Good skater, average size, good forechecker, can probably do some PKing, hardworker, should be good for 10 goals 20 points. Probably maxes out as a solid 3rd/4th line tweener.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Watch Sheahan start producing again. Who will Sheahan play with on the 3rd line? Is Kessel still playing there?

It seems like everyone who goes to the Pens play real good these days. Great team, got depth and that coaches that can get the most out of his guys.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’m not a Sheahan fan, but there haven’t been too many easy points for Detroit players in the past few years. He should be much better in Pitt’s system.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Was the prediction Sheahan for Wilson?

There's been quite a few predictions in terms of where the player would go, not the exact package though.

Credit to @ShafferPens

Scott Wilson+3rd

I hadn't seen the suggestion of Wilson anywhere else, but Sheahan in general to Pittsburgh was done and done again, and I'm sure we'll be reminded of that in the future

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Watch Sheahan start producing again. Who will Sheahan play with on the 3rd line? Is Kessel still playing there?

It seems like everyone who goes to the Pens play real good these days. Great team, got depth and that coaches that can get the most out of his guys.

Kessel's playing with Malkin but Sheahan will get some combo of Hagelin/Sheary/Hornqvist/Rust.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

It will be interesting to see what Sheahan can do with better linemates and but more importantly a better coach. He did good with Nyquist for a couple years but then Trashill happen.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Credit to @ShafferPens

I hadn't seen the suggestion of Wilson anywhere else, but Sheahan in general to Pittsburgh was done and done again, and I'm sure we'll be reminded of that in the future
On CapFriendly, I have been doing armchair gms with the exact players and picks except Kuhnhackl for Wilson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad