Confirmed Trade: [DET/PIT] Riley Sheahan and 2018 5th round pick for Scott Wilson and 2018 3rd round pick

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Sheahan is the all-time leader in goals scored by a Teletubby.

I had to look this up because I had no idea what you were talking about.

SHEEHANDNDND.jpg

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
They could have waived Witkowski and Booth...

I just think it was time to move on and I think Pittsburgh fans will like Sheahan. Hopefully he makes the best of his new opportunity.

Then you let them waive Witkowski and Booth, instead of paying to help them.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Maybe it's a bit in the Wings favor, but JR is in a weak position in terms of trades.

Nobody is going to give the Pens anything for cheap and it's completely understandable. If they need something particular, and you're the one who has it, it's easy to ask and JR doesn't have to be afraid of overpaying if it helps his team to win another cup. Plus, Pens make almost every player look better than they are (or the players bring their best there, however you want to look at it), increasing their value, so there's that.

It's just good to see this deal done. Not often HFboards basically knows a trade is going to happen and i think we all had a good feeling that Sheahan will end up in Pittsburgh.

This also gives the option to move McKegg into the 4C and Rowney to the wing if they want. So i don't see how losing Wilson makes that much of a difference.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Great trade for Detroit, Wilson might honestly be the better player and they got the better pick without retaining any salary.

Reactions: Nugget910

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I called this but just with Kuhnhackl for Wilson. Even the fifth rounder. Well it’s a fine trade for both teams. Wilson was a healthy scratch the last few games and with more wingers coming up threw the system he had no chance to play day in/day out.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Pens have been pretty great at rehabbing reclamation projects. Scott Wilson is fine but the Pens have wingers coming out of their ears and not enough centers. Low risk, potentially high reward.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I was a big fan of Sheahan when he first entered the league. Produced at around a .5 ppg pace, thought he could end up as a 2C one day. Obviously that didn't work out and his career tanked when Babcock left. He's certainly better than he's been these past couple of seasons, Pittsburgh may be able to get him going again

Reactions: Badfish87

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens lose this trade. Wilson AND A 3rd? not even salary retention? if it was 50% off the cap then I'd not mind. I guess in time we will see how this works out.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I dont get this from a Pens view. Why take on that kind of a contract for big forward whos stagnated?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think it breaks down to Sheahan for a 3rd and Wilson for a 5th. Looks fair to me. Hopefully things click again for Sheahan in Pittsburgh. Not sure why people seemed to think Detroit would retain on Sheahan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He can play against other teams top guys and dropped off a "bit" last year. LMAO sure Rutherford.

Yes, because Rutherford's evaluation of players should be questioned after the last 2 years. Sure.

If JR is saying he can do it, why do I have any reason to doubt what he's saying? He has struck gold in literally every trade he has made in the last 2 years.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I dont get this from a Pens view. Why take on that kind of a contract for big forward whos stagnated?
We are stuffed to the gills with wingers and need a center, trading from a point of both over population and strength to add a reclaimation project to a weak bottom 6 center position. For the Pens it’s a low risk high reward situation because even with loosing Wilson at any point if we need a winger we have both ZAR and Sprong sitting in the minors.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yes, because Rutherford's evaluation of players should be questioned after the last 2 years. Sure.

If JR is saying he can do it, why do I have any reason to doubt what he's saying? He has struck gold in literally every trade he has made in the last 2 years.

The same Rutherford that traded a first round pick for Reves? Yah okay your right Sheahan can play against other teams top guys. Put him out there against Kucherov when you play Tampa.
And yes I am sure Sheahan only dropped off a bit last year I expect him to put up 20 goals and 50 points on Pittsburgh LMAO.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
We are stuffed to the gills with wingers and need a center, trading from a point of both over population and strength to add a reclaimation project to a weak bottom 6 center position. For the Pens it’s a low risk high reward situation because even with loosing Wilson at any point if we need a winger we have both ZAR and Sprong sitting in the minors.

I get the reasoning but not the player Pens got. There has got to have been better options out there. Granted I havent looked at it deeply but still feels kidn aoff

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The same Rutherford that traded a first round pick for Reves? Yah okay your right Sheahan can play against other teams top guys. Put him out there against Kucherov when you play Tampa.
And yes I am sure Sheahan only dropped off a bit last year I expect him to put up 20 goals and 50 points on Pittsburgh LMAO.

Heard the same about Schultz.

I don't like the trade but give him a chance with Pittsburgh before judging.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The same Rutherford that:

A. Traded a 3rd round pick for Justin Schultz, who is now a legitimate top-4 defenseman for the Penguins
B. Traded a washed up Scuderi for Trevor Daley, who was a legitimate top-4 defenseman for the Penguins
C. Traded spare part futures for Kessel, who was absolutely massive in 2 straight cup runs
D. Traded Perron for a struggling Hagelin, who had 43 points in 61 games in 2015-2016 regular season and playoffs combined for the Penguins
E. Traded Hainsey for a 2nd, who managed to play on a top pair role on a cup winner
F. Traded Sutter and a 3rd for Bonino and a 2nd
G. Signed Cullen when no one else wanted him

Yeah, I think his good far outweighs his bad here. I'll trust his take on this one.

Feb 24, 2017
I am surprised Detroit got the higher pick, the Pens seemed to be in control here I would think they could demand the higher pick sense Detroit NEEDED to make a deal
Look at that, hey? You have zero idea of what actual nhl gms see value wise. Who coulda guessed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad