Trade: [DET/LAR] Matthew Stafford for Jared Goff, 2022 1st round pick, 2023 1st round pick & 3rd rounder

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah this is James Harden type overpayment only this deal actually makes more sense cause the Rams you could argue are a QB away from winning while the Nets still need more of a defensive presence even after getting a third elite scorer.

Rams do know how to draft their own players in later rounds, just like Seattle.

Goff is still young so here’s hoping this is a wake up call for him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Jesus that is absurd

Great trade for Lions

Also I believe Goff will get back on track in Detroit and be Lions QB of next decade

The fact people act like Goff is Mark Sanchez or something is laughable and absurd

Reactions: frisco

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah this is James Harden type overpayment only this deal actually makes more sense cause the Rams you could argue are a QB away from winning while the Nets still need more of a defensive presence even after getting a third elite scorer.

And I know Goff's getting paid a lot but I don't get how he has negative value. You throw in a first round pick to get rid of him, that's Patrick Marleau type contract shedding but Goff can play, he's one of the twenty best QB's probably still in the NFL.
They also had to pay Lions to take on Goff's contract.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I for one am very happy for Stafford. Rams still have a great defence, and some good weapons up front. Will be exciting to see what Stafford can do

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

And I know Goff's getting paid a lot but I don't get how he has negative value. You throw in a first round pick to get rid of him, that's Patrick Marleau type contract shedding but Goff is at least a starting QB.

There's not much dead cap either if they decide to flip him to somebody else or cut him after next season so the contract really isn't THAT bad.
Also, he's only 26 so he could bounce back. Excellent job by the Lions front office (I don't remember the last time I said that or IF I ever said that).

I'm also very interested to see how Stafford does on a good, established team.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
giphy.gif

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Holy **** the Lions robbed them blind.

Stafford is a solid QB but like, the gap between him and Goff isn't as large as you'd believe. The Rams basically just paid 2 first rounders for a slight upgrade.

Now if he was going to a team like Indianapolis or San Francisco the move would make more sense. A haul for a guy that's a significant upgrade on what they have now. But this? Brutal

The Burdened

May 1, 2017

if I'm the Lions, forget getting a pick in this draft I would rather have had the 2 Rams picks that are so far out in the future.

There is a decent chance in 2022 or 2023 that those picks are in a good spot.

A lot can happen in the NFL in a short amount of time. Look at Houston how they started trading futures thinking they were set, then next thing you know that future 1st they gave away is Top 3.

Rams are not one of these well-run organizations that are always in the final 4 to where it's a lock these picks are gonna be 29, 30, 31, 32. These picks could be top-16 or better.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

The Lions aren't really on the hook for that much of Goff's contract. I won't go into doing the calculations, but it's conceivable that the Lions are only on the hook for around $20 million a year and that's doable if you're the Lions. Take a chance and see what you get out of him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Good thing for Rams is that they draft well in later rounds.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
if I'm the Lions, forget getting a pick in this draft I would rather have had the 2 Rams picks that are so far out in the future.

There is a decent chance in 2022 or 2023 that those picks are in a good spot.

A lot can happen in the NFL in a short amount of time. Look at Houston how they started trading futures thinking they were set, then next thing you know that future 1st they gave away is Top 3.

Rams are not one of these well-run organizations that are always in the final 4 to where it's a lock these picks are gonna be 29, 30, 31, 32. These picks could be top-16 or better.

If it doesn't work - McVay, Les Snead - it won't be their problem to fix.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So say taking Goff is worth a first.

Indy wouldn’t pay that price of a first and third to get Stafford? Neither did SF?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Did the Rams really have to throw in 2 first round picks? Stafford is gonna be 33 this year.

I don’t get why they are throwing their first round picks like candy but they sure can find em after the first round.
Goff contract.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Most people look at it like they gave up a shit ton, but I look at it as them improving at their qb position, saving significant money, and driving up the cost for any qb SF goes after.

Lynch’s inability to give up a high draft pick strikes yet again.

Reactions: BSHH and MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad