Trade: [DET/LAR] Matthew Stafford for Jared Goff, 2022 1st round pick, 2023 1st round pick & 3rd rounder

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The Rams are loaded at every skill position except QB. Stafford is absolutely an upgrade over Goff. They are going all in to get that SB. I give kudos to a team that goes for the kill.

Honestly they may be the best team in the NFC right now with this trade.

On the other side, the Lions could potentially use these picks and Goff to try and get Watson.
No chance Watson signs off on going to Detroit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't believe I'm saying this but the Lions just made a great trade by getting two 1sts for a 33 year old non-elite QB. Goff's contract isn't great but it shouldn't be a problem for them and it's smart business to take it if it means getting an additional 1st out of it. They're still the Lions so there's a good chance they'll screw up those picks but in the present it's a really good move.

Rams gave up a lot but they also upgraded at QB. McVay should also be able to make Stafford look better than he actually is, which is probably a QB somewhere in the 10-15 range. Really, I'm just happy we'll get to see who Stafford is and there will be no more excuses.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
NE - Pros are great coaching, very good OL, and solid D, but are aging there
NE - Cons - Patricia is back with them, no Weapons, cold weather for a guy who played HS in Texas, College in Georgia, and in a dome in the NFL, plus shadow of Brady is even bigger now that TB made the SB with Tampa.

Think there are teams like SF, LAR, Indy that make more sense than NE. Den/LV do as well, but I also wouldn't want to be in the same division as Mahomes. WFT do too given the weakness of the division.

So, not much making NE that attractive right now.

He didn't want to go there because of Patricia (I'm pretty sure that's the reason), it has nothing to do with their attractiveness as a team.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
if the lions try to make it work with goff they are even dumber than i thought
They were going to be pretty bad with Stafford. Only won 5 games with him. Guess it depends who is there at 7. If they dont draft a quarterback they can just play Goff for a year and probably along with the Texans be in position for the top pick and draft a quarterback. I see this as a good move for both teams.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Goff is bad. Like, really bad. They lost the trade, but Stafford instead of Goff immediately helps the Rams chances at a SuperBowl in the Donald window.

Not only do I praise the franchise for going all in for a championship, I also applaud them for not hanging onto their mistakes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's piss poor from Colts.
I agree. What other options are there for Indy? Trade for Wentz? Where you likely need to work out a deal to absorb more contract if wentz has to return SB money to Philly to lower their dead cap hit but you then have to pay that to wentz in a SB?

21 plus a 3rd would at least match WFT.

applaud the WFT for making the offer that I would have made if I ran them.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The Rams were going to start John Wolford over a healthy Goff.

I'm not sure what happened but he was broken between their SB season and now. Maybe it was just that McVay system made it so easy back then and now that defenses have adapted Goff has been left behind. He can throw a pretty ball, but is brutal under pressure and makes a lot of bad decisions.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If I’m Atlanta I’m dancing a jig. Ryan’s value just went up.

Disagree. Ryan is owed a lot more money than Stafford. I know part of the appeal w/ Stafford was that at one point he was the highest paid QB; now his salary is pretty modest compared to others.

He didn't want to go there because of Patricia (I'm pretty sure that's the reason), it has nothing to do with their attractiveness as a team.

Being THE guy who replaced THE guy who couldn't replace THE guy was also part of it. A lot pressure to be the QB of the Pats when Brady's only been gone a year.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Thankfully Stafford turned the Panthers down. I like the guy and he's maybe worth 8th overall in a vacuum but the Panthers are a terrible football team and he might have literally died behind whatever garbage OL we're expecting to put out there next season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

So basically Goff is a dumbass and the Rams were tired of paying franchise guy money to a guy who didn't want to be the franchise.

I guess him looking like a dipshit on Hard Knocks was more real than i thought...lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

So basically Goff is a dumbass and the Rams were tired of paying franchise guy money to a guy who didn't want to be the franchise.

I guess him looking like a dipshit on Hard Knocks was more real than i thought...lol

Then it shows really poorly on the front office that they extended him after 3 seasons, and really only 2 good seasons. The NFL rookie contracts for QBS in round 1, allow the team to have the guy for 5 seasons. First 4, if we are talking top couple of picks cost $30 million total for 4 years, so an AVG of $7.5 mill, then the 5th year option jumps it up to $22-$24 million, which is still reasonable to give you that extra year before a franchise tag costs you $33/$34 million.

Had the Rams done the 5th year option, then they would not have needed to give up an extra pick to get Stafford. They would have $20 million extra in cap space.

So, for both QBs and RBs, the CBA is built to allow you to have time, thus you should use it. Better to pay more to get the right value than to overpay for something.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Goff was a robot, they probably just kept forgetting to charge the battery.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad